ISU Apparel deal?

el tornado

Mar 23, 2006
Ouch Nike giving us only 400K? Compared to most other schools that is a slap in the face. Plus Nike wasn't too creative and just gave us USC football unis. Time to change to Under Armor.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I do a lot of work in the apparel industry and UA has been the hottest thing for damn near 5 years. It hits all demographics, and kids love it. UA is a good, good thing.

I don't get the UA hate on here by some. Being a tall person I've found UA to have much more consistent sizing than Nike. I think both have similar quality. My wife and I have a mix of all brands and have nothing bad to say about UA in comparison to everything else. When it comes to my kids it's UA hands down for shoes and a toss up on clothes. UA clothes last about the same maybe a touch longer (especially the sweatshirts) than Nike but their shoes last twice as long as Nike shoes. My 10 year old went back to trying Nike shoes again in March after replacing a pair of UA shoes he's worn every day since August. Last week we had to replace the Nikes already with a new pair of UA. The soles had already completely worn off the Nikes. He still has his old UA's from August as his "mud shoes" and they are still in better shape than the 2 month old Nikes. I think both companies have good basketball/football adult shoes but for everyday kids running/training style shoes it's UA.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I don't get the UA hate on here by some. Being a tall person I've found UA to have much more consistent sizing than Nike. I think both have similar quality. My wife and I have a mix of all brands and have nothing bad to say about UA in comparison to everything else. When it comes to my kids it's UA hands down for shoes and a toss up on clothes. UA clothes last about the same maybe a touch longer (especially the sweatshirts) than Nike but their shoes last twice as long as Nike shoes. My 10 year old went back to trying Nike shoes again in March after replacing a pair of UA shoes he's worn every day since August. Last week we had to replace the Nikes already with a new pair of UA. The soles had already completely worn off the Nikes. He still has his old UA's from August as his "mud shoes" and they are still in better shape than the 2 month old Nikes. I think both companies have good basketball/football adult shoes but for everyday kids running/training style shoes it's UA.
My Nike shoes are like 2-3 years old and I probably need to replace them, but they have lasted a long time.

Creed11

Jun 13, 2011
Ames

I like UA sweatshirts a lot but I dislike some of their polos, they have a weird seam in the back that goes across your shoulders that is awkward.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Gretna NE has an UA store. I dislike them because all they have is obnoxious bright colored clothes. There seems to be very little modesty to their styles. Been in there a dozen times and maybe bought one pair of shorts, and one TShirt.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Gretna NE has an UA store. I dislike them because all they have is obnoxious bright colored clothes. There seems to be very little modesty to their styles. Been in there a dozen times and maybe bought one pair of shorts, and one TShirt.

I'm not sure I would make an assumption of a company based on what is sold at an outlet store.

They do have some bright stuff but they also have very professional looking understated clothes as well.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
For those of you not excited by under armour, they just signed up UCLA for 15 yrs at $280 million total. $18.6 million per.

juuuuuust a bit better than our 400k from Nike.

You can't spell UCLA without UA.

I was never a fan of UA until Spieth joined their team. I think he's got some of the best looks out there now. I wouldn't be too excited to join the train wreck that Addidas does for uniforms, but love their golf gear.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I like UA sweatshirts a lot but I dislike some of their polos, they have a weird seam in the back that goes across your shoulders that is awkward.

I don't wear UA polos since they don't come in tall but I know exactly what seam you are talking about. I've had other brands that have a similar seam and it's annoying as hell. You can always feel it.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Ouch Nike giving us only 400K? Compared to most other schools that is a slap in the face. Plus Nike wasn't too creative and just gave us USC football unis. Time to change to Under Armor.

I am sure Under Armor is just counting down the days until they can get their hands on our "brand"...

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
Guess who doesn't give a ****? This guy.
They can go with underarmor if they want, I guess I will just have old apparel going forward.
Nothing to do with brand loyalty, just rarely see UA clothing that looks good.

I have both UA and Nike ISU gear, and prefer the UA.

It seems like the UA apparel is more of a slimmer/athletic cut: I think Nike is aimed at a wider audience

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
I am sure Under Armor is just counting down the days until they can get their hands on our "brand"...

I know you are being sarcastic, but you know very little about marketing if you don't think Iowa State has a marketable brand. Anyways, go check out the other schools UA has gone after. As i said in previous post they signed Colorado State for 5 year 11 million.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm not sure why I should pay a premium for apparel that makes me a walking billboard for their brand. If it is a high quality product and has a small tasteful logo, no big deal. But why should I pay twice what a garment is worth and then have it plastered with a huge logo across the front. They should be paying me to wear that.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Lol so your options are athletic brand polos or faded glory? You know there are other stores besides Walmart and ****'s Sporting Goods right?

never heard of faded glory before this post. will they sponsor us? actually looks like they are better suited for the hawkeyes market.