Iowa State All-Decade Men's Basketball Team

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Homan would be fine on the defensive end against Cato. The other end I'm not so sure. He'd be able to pull Cato away from the basket with his 15 footer but scoring inside would be tough.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Jacy was solid, but he wasn't the best point guard in the '90's. That was Ron Bayless, one of the most underrated/underappreciated players in ISU history.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Jacy was solid, but he wasn't the best point guard in the '90's. That was Ron Bayless, one of the most underrated/underappreciated players in ISU history.

Absolutely. Jacy gets a lot of praise because he was on a really good team

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Now we need to pick the All 90's team and then "discuss" who would win in a game. Message board heaven.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Now we need to pick the All 90's team and then "discuss" who would win in a game. Message board heaven.

Off the top of my head.

Bayless
Willoughby
Hoiberg
Fizer
Cato

Bench:
Thigpen
Nurse
Julo
Meyer
Pratt

Seems like I'm forgetting somebody obvious. Can we have Johnny coach the offense and Floyd coach the D?

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Off the top of my head.

Bayless
Willoughby
Hoiberg
Fizer
Cato

Bench:
Thigpen
Nurse
Julo
Meyer
Pratt

Seems like I'm forgetting somebody obvious. Can we have Johnny coach the offense and Floyd coach the D?

gotta have Bankhead on there to shut down opp. best scorer.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Jake Sullivan was named to the Cyclone All Century teams - top 15 players of all time at ISU. Hard to believe that a guy who was one of the top 15 of all time couldn't make top 5 of 1990's.

He was VOTED to the team by a bunch of people who don't remember Cyclone basketball before 1995. He's not one of the best 15 players in our history. Solid player who helped us win a lot of games, but he's overrated IMO.

And Jacy got a lot of credit because he deserved it...he made those teams go.

MelMel

Oct 24, 2009
He was VOTED to the team by a bunch of people who don't remember Cyclone basketball before 1995. He's not one of the best 15 players in our history. Solid player who helped us win a lot of games, but he's overrated IMO.

And Jacy got a lot of credit because he deserved it...he made those teams go.

Exactly, do people honestly think Jake Sullivan was better than Curtis Stinson?
:biglaugh:

Jack & Hilton

Nov 30, 2007
Yeah Wesley was awesome here, all those NCAA tournament appearances and All-conference and all-american accolades he got here. OH WAIT, he didn't do any of that here! No more than Omar freaking Bynum! All Wes did was **** down everyones throats at Iowa State. Your list loses all credibility with him on it.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I stopped reading at Wesley Johnson. I didn't want to start bleeding from the eyes if I had to read Adam Haluska.

bufante

Nov 27, 2006
DMI
I like the list, except for Wesley Johnson (which you mentioned a lot of people might disagree with).

Problem with Wesley is that I can't put him on the list because of "raw talent". Had he played here another year or two and he progressed like he has for Syracuse, no problem, add him.

Not sure if Gilstrap fits the criteria on this decade, but he has better stats.

Gilstrap is averaging higher points and rebounds the Wes did.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Cato may have a slight edge on Homan, but imo not much. Homan was also a good shot blocker and defender, and I remember him as more of an offensive threat than Cato, especially as a senior. And like Chris said, Homan brought a toughness and attitude to the team that doesn't show up in the stat sheets but makes the team better. Down the stretch his senior year I thought he was the best center in the Big 12.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I like the list, except for Wesley Johnson (which you mentioned a lot of people might disagree with).

Problem with Wesley is that I can't put him on the list because of "raw talent". Had he played here another year or two and he progressed like he has for Syracuse, no problem, add him.

Not sure if Gilstrap fits the criteria on this decade, but he has better stats.

Gilstrap is averaging higher points and rebounds the Wes did.

And he is 6 years older than Wesley was when he get here! :wink:

Dolokaju

Jun 8, 2006
I wouldn't put Johnson on there. I think the all-decade team should encompass everything ISU - especially passion for the program. For the very reason Homan is on the list, Johnson should be off.

Wesley was never all big 12 nor did he get us to the postseason. I wouldve put Clark or Horton there. That spot because they played there best ball here. Johnson may have ended up on the team with a good season last year but he bailed. And actually thinking about it I probably put Jake there for a 3 guard lineup

Dolokaju

Jun 8, 2006
Exactly, do people honestly think Jake Sullivan was better than Curtis Stinson?
:biglaugh:

Jake had the better outside shot(by a long ways), Stinson was better at everything else. Give him Jake's shot and he's in the NBA