Iowa State All-Decade Men's Basketball Team

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
With the lineup you have I'd put Clark in there over whatshisname. Rahshon and Curtis had some of the best court awareness between the two of them I've ever seen.

Or I'd start Horton and have a 3-guard lineup. Otherwise I agree with your list Chris.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
Man, looking at that list makes me realize how many good players we've had come through ISU, even though we haven't had a ton of success. I agree with the starter list too.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
Yeah, I'd start a 3 guard line up... I don't want anything to do with Wesley Johnson. He was good as a freshman, and hurt all season as a sophomore... he doesn't deserve to have his name written down with these other guys...

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I was wondering if I'd see Taggert but realized we didn't get too much production the year he was here. I don't think he got a lot of minutes and/or points.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
Jake Sullivan was named to the Cyclone All Century teams - top 15 players of all time at ISU. Hard to believe that a guy who was one of the top 15 of all time couldn't make top 5 of 1990's.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Wow, the previous decade would smash that squad with their back-up's. Long-live the 1990's.:biggrin:

Holloway, Willoughby, Fizer, Cato, Hoiberg. Yes

Not that they were backups but I mean the 90's had some great players

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
Where is Skog's?? Jimlad. Hard to argue with that list. I played in the same conference as Homan and grew up about 10 miles apart from him. I honestle didn't think he would amount to much at iowa state. I'm glad I was wrong. He brought something to the table that we have been missing for awhile.

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
I think you start Stinson, Sullivan and Tinsley and dump WJ. If you base it off what he did while he was here, and not this year at the 'Cuse or NBA potential, Wes doesn't even make the list.

Vroman is one of my all time favorites. His many looks (the Vro-Hawk, the Snape) only added to the total package.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I wouldn't put Johnson on there. I think the all-decade team should encompass everything ISU - especially passion for the program. For the very reason Homan is on the list, Johnson should be off.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
Pretty much agree with you Chris. Sullivan probably belongs in there over WJ, but I'm okay with it.

Will you also be putting together an all decabe team of the hardly knew ye's?

Shane Power
Adam Haluska
Shawn Taggart
Tasheed Carr
Mike Taylor
Wesley Johnson

Mowilly

May 21, 2008
Capp Timm Field
That line up is the one that I would put down unless you want to count Fizer in this decade as well (2000). If you count him, I take out Homan.

I realized how good our backcourt is w/ Jamaal and Curtis and then I started thinking about it. Historically (since Johnny at least), ISU has done very well w/ guards and I am always amazed at how impressive our fairly recent collection is.
Hornacek, Thompkins, Thigpen, Bayless, Hoiberg, Willoughby and even Nurse and Horton are all guys who had some type of all -conf. honors. I had not even mentioned Sullivan or Blalock and some others.

Here is to Chris Colvin and/or Chasson Randle joining that list.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Nice work Chris!

I was going to start a thread just like this today. You beat me to it!

I agree with everyone you picked. I know people hate Wesley Johnson but he was the best 3 we have had this decade. Rahshon had a great career and was a great Cyclone but Wesley is better.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
A decent list. I find the 2 the most intriguing spot. I might actually put Mike Taylor in that spot. He was a little better 3-pt shooter than Stinson or Blalock, and could put up points just like those guys could. Although, in reality if I had to put a team together, I'd probably put Will Blalock in that position because then you'd have two great point guards back there with Tinsley.

I completely agree on Wesley, the guy was really good when he was here. The team I would assemble wouldn't have any classic 3-pt shooters (there's Brackins though), but it wouldn't matter. Tinsley could take it to the rim at will and draw defenders, same with Blalock.

I might substitute Jackson for Homan though. Vroman could rebound too, and was a better scorer.

MelMel

Oct 24, 2009
PG - Jamaal Tinsley - 13 PPG, 6 Assists, 5 Boards, 3 Steals, 1 Block - CAREER averages. Best. Cyclone. Ever. The best player in history to play college basketball for any school in Iowa. Was never defeated in Hilton in his entire career. All American PG. Big 12 Player of the year. 2 Big 12 conference championships. Could take a team of role players and dominate opponents filled with NBA talent. An absolute monster on BOTH ends of the floor.

SG - Curtis Stinson - 19 ppg 6 Rebounds 5 Assists 2.5 Steals as a JR. Career 46% from the field. The epitome of toughness. Did whatever it took to win. A stud from day one on campus. Solid defender who for some reason was REALLY underrated by our fans. Its definitely debatable, but could be one of our top 5 ever.

SF - Craig Brackins - 18 PPG 8 Rebounds, 1 Block 1 Steal - Currently, 46% Career FG% . His midrange game is sick. Can drill the open 3 pointer. A crazy high release that is pretty much unstoppable when he's on. He is going to be a stud in the NBA at SF.

PF - Tyray Pearson - 19 PPG, 8 Rebounds 1 Block 1 Steal as a SR. CAREER 54% FG%!!!!!! This guy was EXTREMELY underrated, a scoring machine, funky shot that he always got off and it always went in! You can count on a few fingers the players in school history who averaged 19 in a season and had a 54% career FG%. 1 Big 12 Championship.

C - Jackson Vroman - 13 PPG, 10 Rebounds 1 Block 1 Steal 56% for CAREER Numbers. Extremely solid rebounder and post presense. Played very hard and intense all the time. Maybe the best rebounder in school history and if not he is on the short list.

Bench:
C - Jared Homan. - 14 PPG, 9 Rebounds 2 Block 1 Steal as a Sr. Career 44% FG%. A defensive stopper and fierce rebounder who is as physical as anybody. Did all the dirty work and asked for more! Tough to decide on him or Vroman, rebounding gives Vro a slight edge over the dirty ho!

G - Kantrail Horton - 11 PPG, 5 Rebounds, 3 Assists 1 Steal as a senior. Career 38% 3Pt Shooter. Solid on BOTH ends of the floor, great rebounder for his size. A winner -2 time Big 12 champion, never lost at Hilton.

G - Will Blalock - 15 PPG, 6 Assists, 3 Rebounds 2 Steals as a senior. Career 42% FG%, 36% 3 Pt Shooter. Great at leading the break, penetrating and finishing or dishing, also a solid defender.

F - Rashon Clark - 8 PPG, 6 Boards, 1 Block, 1 Steal as a senior. Career 48% from the field. Lock down defender who was completely unselfish would dominate all day on defense. Could create turnovers, hit open shots and finish on the break all day.

G - Jake Sullivan - 15 PPG 2 Rebounds, 2 Assists as a senior. Career 45% from the field, Career 42% 3Pt Shooter. He may have been one dimensional, but he was one of the best in the country at that skill! Deadly shooter off the bench. 1 Big 12 championship.

Last edited:

MelMel

Oct 24, 2009
Wow, the previous decade would smash that squad with their back-up's. Long-live the 1990's.:biggrin:

Not sure if you are joking or not but I strongly disagree. You have to put Jamaal on the 2000's team. He only played 13 games for Iowa State in the 1990's! So I would actually take this decades team without a doubt. Jamaal, Craig and Curtis can play with ANYBODY! Obviously Cato is the best Center because of his D from either team but Vroman might be the best rebounder in school history, he could hold his own and actually had better career numbers in Points, Rebounds, FG%, and Steals, basically every category except obviously blocks.

Last edited:

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I loved JC Holloway because he got everything out of his talent and hit some big shots, but Tinsley, Stinson and Blaylock were all better point guards, and I know Stinson played a lot of 2 with Blaylock at the point. I also think Homan as a senior could have held his own against Cato so I'm not sure a 90's team would be much better than this last decade. Of course a lot depends on which decade you put Tinsley and Fizer in.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I loved JC Holloway because he got everything out of his talent and hit some big shots, but Tinsley, Stinson and Blaylock were all better point guards, and I know Stinson played a lot of 2 with Blaylock at the point. I also think Homan as a senior could have held his own against Cato so I'm not sure a 90's team would be much better than this last decade. Of course a lot depends on which decade you put Tinsley and Fizer in.
My eyes just blew out of my head.