Iowa State All-Decade Men's Basketball Team

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
That's easy for me. Bayless/Thigpen by a wide margin IMO.

It's not easy for me, but I'd probably go with Bayless and Thigpen as well. Bayless was a great scoring point guard and JT would absolutely carry a team when he got hot. Stinson and Blalock were better at getting into the lane, but I like my guard court to be able to be a threat from the perimeter and that kills Stinson and Blalock in this argument.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I agree, Bayless and Thigpen get the edge because of their outside shooting, and I think they may also have had a little better cast around them. I remember Big Vic was in the middle but I can't remember who the forwards were.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I agree, Bayless and Thigpen get the edge because of their outside shooting, and I think they may also have had a little better cast around them. I remember Big Vic was in the middle but I can't remember who the forwards were.

I won't take the time to look it up so I could be wrong. JT might have played with Vic, but I don't think Bayless did as he came in as a juco iirc. As jrs and srs they played with Hoiberg, Meyer and Julo, along with Howard Eaton, Morgan Wheat etc. Those teams couldn't do much on the road, but they were lethal at home. JT basically won the infamous OSU game single handed as a junior and I'll never forget his running 3 pointer as time expired at CU that punched our ticket to the dance.

I also remember Dickie V. pimping KU's Rex Walters and Adonnis Jordan as the best backcourt in the country just a few days before they were shown up by Bayless and Thigpen and their top 5 team was taken out in Hilton. I had my nosebleed seats in the student rotation for that game. I almost passed out from yelling so loud. Good times.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I won't take the time to look it up so I could be wrong. JT might have played with Vic, but I don't think Bayless did as he came in as a juco iirc. As jrs and srs they played with Hoiberg, Meyer and Julo, along with Howard Eaton, Morgan Wheat etc. Those teams couldn't do much on the road, but they were lethal at home. JT basically won the infamous OSU game single handed as a junior and I'll never forget his running 3 pointer as time expired at CU that punched our ticket to the dance.

I also remember Dickie V. pimping KU's Rex Walters and Adonnis Jordan as the best backcourt in the country just a few days before they were shown up by Bayless and Thigpen and their top 5 team was taken out in Hilton. I had my nosebleed seats in the student rotation for that game. I almost passed out from yelling so loud. Good times.
JT's shot against the Buffs was probably my greatest Cyclone memory as a kid.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Alexander's senior season: 90-91
Bayless junior season (juco): 91-92
Thigpen freshman season: 89-90

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I had to think for 0.56 seconds about that one. Bayless and Thigpen. All I had to remember was Kentucky.

Mowilly

May 21, 2008
Capp Timm Field
JT and Bayless were sophs when V was a senior.

JT was here as a soph and was in the backcourt w/ Pearson and Doug Collins.
Bayless and Eaton were the JUCO's that came in the following year alongside the freshman class of Hoiberg, Beechum, Meyer and Michalik.

All said, I would guess that this was the most productive class in school history.

CUIClone

Nov 11, 2009
The only thing with the Wes John pick is that he was never primarily a Small Forward while he was here. If you remember as a freshman he was playing the 4, and as a Soph he moved to the 2 guard. I know, it is just semantics, but I would still go with Horton or Sullivan in a 3 gaurd lineup over Johnson as long as we are shifting around positions. Probably giving the edge to Horton for his defense. Another thing to remember about Johnson was that he was not a very good man to man defender. (which is why Syracuse works out well for him)

hook40

Nov 6, 2007
SE Iowa
I'm a big Klay Edwards fan myself......

Didn't he put up like 64 points in a game at Columbus Junction one year and didn't even touch the court in the fourth quarter? :wideeyed: Anyway CIMD, I can verify you're his favorite CF'er!! BTW, you should see his rockin' new beard.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Didn't he put up like 64 points in a game at Columbus Junction one year and didn't even touch the court in the fourth quarter? :wideeyed: Anyway CIMD, I can verify you're his favorite CF'er!! BTW, you should see his rockin' new beard.
Yet no rep? Not much of a fan.....:wink:

Reactions: hook40

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
As far as production goes, I would take Vroman over Johnson (thanks for making me somebody now see you later) any day. If you going with the raw talent hype, Taggart has Johnson beat there too.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Man, those 90's teams were solid....all these names getting brought up remind me of how great those groups were as a TEAM. Lots of unselfish guys that played to their roles perfectly. Particularly guys like Bayless, Jacy, Bankhead and Stevie Johnson. I think more than anything it speaks to just how great the coaching was at those times, not just at gameday strategy but at finding the right kind of guys that it takes to win in Ames.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Cato may have a slight edge on Homan, but imo not much. Homan was also a good shot blocker and defender, and I remember him as more of an offensive threat than Cato, especially as a senior. And like Chris said, Homan brought a toughness and attitude to the team that doesn't show up in the stat sheets but makes the team better. Down the stretch his senior year I thought he was the best center in the Big 12.

Especially in the Kansas game, he played his heart out and he definantly out played Wayne Simienm, an all-american.

ETL2424

Nov 9, 2008
JT's shot against the Buffs was probably my greatest Cyclone memory as a kid.
Same here! It was one of the first buzzer-beaters I'd ever seen. Just an awesome shot! And to hear Dave Armstrong call that shot--"IOWA STATE WINS IT!!! WOW, WOW, WOWWWWW!!" So classic. Plus it ended a really long road losing streak in the conference. Justus is one of my all-time favorites!