Iowa Football, the tradition continues...

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006
Maybe someone is still mad that their "8" tattoo is out of style?

n14834582_33789039_8650.jpg

n14834582_33725613_2320.jpg

n14834582_33725616_3217.jpg

Can someone help with the who's who?

The top one is James Cleveland and Dominique Douglas, the middle one is Anthony Bowman and Arvell Nelson, and the bottom one is Dominique Douglas.

DJKHawk

Dec 22, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
As an Iowa supporter, I am completely and utterly embarrassed with Iowa's player conduct since April. These players are given full-ride scholarships to a fine university, and then they decide to do this? Give me a break. Hundreds of thousands of kids would LOVE to be in the situation that they are in.

I just don't get it anymore. Kirk did some great things awhile ago but it just seems that the hits just keep coming. It's quite obvious that these kids are not getting his message.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
where did you hear this? it obviously was from someone with absolutely no medical background whatsoever. heroine in a capsule? please.
A colleague of mine has a sister in law who was an LPN - she has lost her professional license and has been arrested several times due to Oxycotin addiction. She has stolen from hospitals, falsified prescriptions to herself, broken into houses of sick people to steal drugs; she even cases out the pharmacies.

ISUAlum05

Nov 5, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
OOOOHHHHH, the wheels on the bus are falling off, falling off, falling off
The wheels on the bus are falling off, all through the town.

OOOOOHHHHH, the squakeyes on the bus say "puff, puff, pass; puff, puff, pass; puff, puff, pass"
The squakeyes on the bus say "puff, puff, pass," all through the town.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
You know, it just seems hard to believe that many players could get in trouble in little old Iowa City. This is not Vegas. And it is like two at a time. Getting in trouble monthly also. Must be something in the water.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Just so everybody knows, these two have been suspended from the team indefinitely.

Hey look, swift harsh action against two players expected to see playing time (and Cleveland expected to start). I guess KF must have been reading this board, and saw that he wasn't being fair to the starters.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Wow, a suspension is going to do a lot. He had to do it, since these guys are going to be in jail anyways.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Just so everybody knows, these two have been suspended from the team indefinitely.

Hey look, swift harsh action against two players expected to see playing time (and Cleveland expected to start). I guess KF must have been reading this board, and saw that he wasn't being fair to the starters.

It's a start. Dismissing them from the team would probably be more appropriate action, however.

Being suspended indefinitely 7 months before the season kicks off isn't really all that tough, IMO.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
He NEEDS all the players he can have next year so they can wrap up another near .500 season

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007

Wow, getting tough after 20 arrests in less than a year. Way to put the hammer down. Suspend them until Spring practice. Makes you wonder what the athletic department will do when one of their players murders someone.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Indefinite suspension at this point in time is fair. Nelson probably won't be back on the team, and unless there is some sort of unforeseen circumstance with Cleveland, I doubt we'll see him again.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Wow, getting tough after 20 arrests in less than a year. Way to put the hammer down. Suspend them until Spring practice. Makes you wonder what the athletic department will do when one of their players murders someone.

Well, considering most of those arrests were public intoxication charges, this is a moot point. KF has suspended or kicked off any player with serious charges (DD, Bowman, Everson, Satterfield). Bowman is working his way back on the team.

There have been a lot of issues, but I think people are forgetting that most of them haven't been serious.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Well, considering most of those arrests were public intoxication charges, this is a moot point. KF has suspended or kicked off any player with serious charges (DD, Bowman, Everson, Satterfield). Bowman is working his way back on the team.

Actually none of the guys you mention were kicked off the team. Suspended yes, kicked off, no. Most of them left on their own but Bowman has since been welcomed back.

But Clint Huntrods, hey, gotta give Kirk credit for laying down the hammer there. Clint's sure gonna think twice before he pisses on a sidewalk in the future.

By the way, what happened with Everson & Satterfield? Were they ever charged?

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Well, in KF's world, as long as they can intimidate the victim and get the charges dropped, they would qualify as "model citizen" and "babysitter" material.

Once upon a time there was this thing about coaches dismissing players for bringing shame upon a team. None of this, "must be convicted in a court of law before I THINK about giving them a one game, suspended supension" crap.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo

There have been a lot of issues, but I think people are forgetting that most of them haven't been serious.

Southernhawk - i agree, the majority have not been that serious...but your still talking about 20 some odd arrests and then you have players like Bowman who even though it was a serious crime, because of the team needs come fall with WR now being a position lacking depth he's getting another shot???? If you read about this and it was at Miami or Florida State what or how would you react....Another point of contention is that there are what like 119 division 1 schools, how many of them have a coach in the top five paid coaches and yet have had 20 some arrests - regardless of the charges, arrests can equate directly back to discipline. We all know in Iowa City the hawkeye football team is put on a pedestal, but, this is crazy.....

Lets have a recap:

Police Blotter
Twelve Iowa football players have accounted for 16 arrests in Johnson County since April 14. Here is a list of the players with the charges and date of arrest:
Player Charge Date of arrest
Ryan Bain Disorderly conduct April 14
Ricky Stanzi Possession of alcohol May 5
Dana Brown Fifth-degree theft May 15
Tyler Gerstandt Possession of alcohol May 18
Arvell Nelson Driving with a suspended license July 2
Bradley Fletcher OWI July 15
Dana Brown Fifth-degree theft July 24
Ben Evans OWI July 29
Arvell Nelson Failure to appear in court Aug. 16
Anthony Bowman Unauthorized use of a credit card Aug. 18
Dominique Douglas Unauthorized use of a credit card Aug. 18
Clint Huntrods Public intoxication / urination Sept. 6
Lance Tillison OWI Sept. 16
Dana Brown Domestic assault Oct. 16
Dominique Douglas Fifth-degree theft Oct. 29
Brandon Myers Interference with official acts Dec. 23

Now there are a few missing off this list, such as Satterfield, Pugh, Everson. Now you have Nelson again, and Cleveland - how can you sit there and say things will change.....they havent in the past 7 months since this embarrassment called the Iowa Hawkeye Football team starting hitting the police blotter..... And i have to ask this to understand what determines if someone is kicked off the team or not.....is it ability???

Case in point Clint Huntrods - Public Intox, and Urination, why was he kicked off the team (Walkon) but players such as Bowman, Nelson, Douglas (had he not went shoppin at walmart) to name a few are given 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances......

Its simple, KF at this point is worried about winning.....he cannot afford to kick some the best players he has off the team, they simple let things settle down and then reinstate them quietly.....

How big of a deal is it to be suspended in Feb. when spring ball dont start til April or May????

I only hope that what has happened at Iowa this year never happens at ISU, because i won't be like Hawk fans sugar coating it, i will be calling for someone to be fired just as you should be!!!!!

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006

Wow that horrible February suspension-man that is impressive ! Way to be decisive Kirk!!!!

What next will he have them stand in the corner, maybe write 5 times on the chalk board that they will not "illegally own dangerous drugs"(I picked five as this is an awful lot)?

j

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Southernhawk - i agree, the majority have not been that serious...but your still talking about 20 some odd arrests and then you have players like Bowman who even though it was a serious crime, because of the team needs come fall with WR now being a position lacking depth he's getting another shot???? If you read about this and it was at Miami or Florida State what or how would you react....Another point of contention is that there are what like 119 division 1 schools, how many of them have a coach in the top five paid coaches and yet have had 20 some arrests - regardless of the charges, arrests can equate directly back to discipline. We all know in Iowa City the hawkeye football team is put on a pedestal, but, this is crazy.....

Lets have a recap:

Police Blotter
Twelve Iowa football players have accounted for 16 arrests in Johnson County since April 14. Here is a list of the players with the charges and date of arrest:
Player Charge Date of arrest
Ryan Bain Disorderly conduct April 14
Ricky Stanzi Possession of alcohol May 5
Dana Brown Fifth-degree theft May 15
Tyler Gerstandt Possession of alcohol May 18
Arvell Nelson Driving with a suspended license July 2
Bradley Fletcher OWI July 15
Dana Brown Fifth-degree theft July 24
Ben Evans OWI July 29
Arvell Nelson Failure to appear in court Aug. 16
Anthony Bowman Unauthorized use of a credit card Aug. 18
Dominique Douglas Unauthorized use of a credit card Aug. 18
Clint Huntrods Public intoxication / urination Sept. 6
Lance Tillison OWI Sept. 16
Dana Brown Domestic assault Oct. 16
Dominique Douglas Fifth-degree theft Oct. 29
Brandon Myers Interference with official acts Dec. 23

Now there are a few missing off this list, such as Satterfield, Pugh, Everson. Now you have Nelson again, and Cleveland - how can you sit there and say things will change.....they havent in the past 7 months since this embarrassment called the Iowa Hawkeye Football team starting hitting the police blotter..... And i have to ask this to understand what determines if someone is kicked off the team or not.....is it ability???

Case in point Clint Huntrods - Public Intox, and Urination, why was he kicked off the team (Walkon) but players such as Bowman, Nelson, Douglas (had he not went shoppin at walmart) to name a few are given 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances......

Its simple, KF at this point is worried about winning.....he cannot afford to kick some the best players he has off the team, they simple let things settle down and then reinstate them quietly.....

How big of a deal is it to be suspended in Feb. when spring ball dont start til April or May????

I only hope that what has happened at Iowa this year never happens at ISU, because i won't be like Hawk fans sugar coating it, i will be calling for someone to be fired just as you should be!!!!!
KMACK
You have answered your own question.

Kirk is in a terrible place-three seasons well below expectations, athletes that won't follow the rules...but needed. Kirk has a fan base demanding wins, and he can't run off the players to do that. I think he is forced to compromise on potential impact players, and take the high-road on low impact players: see Huntrod(this kid had to fight a lot with that name btw).

I honestly think Kirk is a decent guy in a really hard place, albeit one he put himself in. Win to survive-survival unfortunatley means using unsavory folks wearing the orange...black and gold.

j

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron