Iowa at ISU time set

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
so cyclones.com announces five games on tv, the first time that's EVER happened at this point in the calendar, and yet, everyone complains about time, channel, traffic, etc. sheesh.

I dont know what that has to do with the start time for the ISU/Iowa game.
I love that we are getting more games than ever on tv. And I dont like the start time for the ISU/Iowa game.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I would much rather have a 230 starting time myself.

Although I NO longer drink it used to be hard at least for me to start drinking at 730 in the morning before an 11 oclock start.

"No problem for my son in law though.".....:twitcy:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I can't believe anyone is suprised by an 11:00 kick off... I don't remember the last time it wasn't. They do it on purpose so people don't get too hammered

I doubt if this is the reason. It is probably more related to the mysterious wisdom of the broadcast managers. There are lots of serious rivarly games that are played at night (and thus make more time for their fans to get hammered). Or do you think we are the only fans who like to drink?

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
1999, Ames - 6:00 FSN
2002, Iowa City - 5:00 espn2

I got arrested for public intox right before the 1999 game. Heard the kickoff from the paddy wagon out front of the Jack. At some point that night, the cops brought in a college kid found naked on top of his car -- face painted red and gold. They had put a pair of police sweats on him. All he could mutter was "sweet ******* game."

sdcyfan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 12, 2006
Rapid City, SD
I got arrested for public intox right before the 1999 game. Heard the kickoff from the paddy wagon out front of the Jack. At some point that night, the cops brought in a college kid found naked on top of his car -- face painted red and gold. They had put a pair of police sweats on him. All he could mutter was "sweet ******* game."

Nice!

Cytom5

Sep 3, 2010
Ames
great cant wait to be plastered at 8 am. drinking off my hangover from the night before

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I really hope the dude this happens posts his account of it in the "best tailgating stories" thread. Because that would take the cake. Epic.

JustRedman

Jul 10, 2009
Gilbert
Damn there is a ton of ******** about 11AM. Like that is early. Do you really need to tailgate at 4-5 am? I understand this is a statewide celebration of sorts, but the main argument is that you have to get up EXTRA early to get to the proper level of intoxication. Last time I checked I could get drunk as a skunk in 30-45 minutes. Get there at 8, powerslam that beer onto a table full of thumbtacks, hike up your skirt, and don't stumble into the stadium halfway through the 1st quarter, please.
We manufacture things to complain about on here. 11am is a pretty standard kickoff time around the nation.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
11am is a pretty standard kickoff time around the nation.

And most places people dont like it. Check out some other boards when their gametimes are announced. Nobody likes the early morning thing.

I love when people act like its only us that hate certain things..

Last edited:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Damn there is a ton of ******** about 11AM. Like that is early. Do you really need to tailgate at 4-5 am? I understand this is a statewide celebration of sorts, but the main argument is that you have to get up EXTRA early to get to the proper level of intoxication. Last time I checked I could get drunk as a skunk in 30-45 minutes. Get there at 8, powerslam that beer onto a table full of thumbtacks, hike up your skirt, and don't stumble into the stadium halfway through the 1st quarter, please.
We manufacture things to complain about on here. 11am is a pretty standard kickoff time around the nation.
Of course 11am is a standard kickoff time around the nation, but so is 2:30pm, and 7pm. It's not necessarily about getting drunk in a quicker amount of time or having to wake up earlier, its about the lack of a nice long, relaxing tailgate before a big game. Yes, there will be a lot of post-game tailgating, but it's just not the same. I love getting in a 6-8+ hour tailgate prior to kick-off. The anticipation for the game while drinking some beer and eating some food at one of the best tailgating scenes in the midwest is priceless. :yes:

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
1pm is actually the best time to kickoff a game, but unfortunately those days are long gone. I think I prefer 11am over 2:30pm though. Nice to get home in time to watch the 6:30pm games in their entirety.

cyingreen

Nov 13, 2006
Jasper County
I'm pretty sure tailgating first became popular as an after game deal, to have something to do as the traffic cleared. At West Point of all places.

Never fear about the starting time. We'll still be hauling dead-drunk hawk fans out of the drainage ditches when they stumble into them. We've always wondered if we should just leave them there.

The most important piece of info is what time do the lots open?

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
I'm pretty sure tailgating first became popular as an after game deal, to have something to do as the traffic cleared. At West Point of all places.

Never fear about the starting time. We'll still be hauling dead-drunk hawk fans out of the drainage ditches when they stumble into them. We've always wondered if we should just leave them there.

The most important piece of info is what time do the lots open?

"For weekend games, Cyclone Club lots will open at 7:00 a.m. or 6 hours prior to kickoff, whichever is earlier."

Since it is an 11:00 kickoff, reserved lots will open at 5:00 a.m.

"All general public parking lots open 6 hours prior to kickoff."

Jack Trice Stadium Policies and Procedures - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
For all of the 11:AM complaints, I like the early games to be early in the season so it's warm in the morning. And one word: pancakes! Yes, I know, pancakes can be enjoyed any time of day (and I do enjoy pancake dinner), but something about 'cakes on the grill-griddle at 8:AM in the lot is pure magic!

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
Originally Posted by Flag Guy
I can't believe anyone is suprised by an 11:00 kick off... I don't remember the last time it wasn't. They do it on purpose so people don't get too hammered

How about last year and in 2005, they were both 2:30 kicks.

Maybe now we know why he can't remember last year???

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron