I forgot that Cyclonefanatic = Hawkeye Nation

htownclone

Jan 3, 2007
I am surprised that you're not getting what I'm saying. I'll try to break it down better:

-Our fanbase is fine thus far
- I've spent the evening ready some other threads. The attitudes that many are having is basically giving up on the team.
- It's the above attitude that will lead to having a crap fanbase.
- I am NOT blaming or faulting our fans for what has happened thus far.
- If fans start bailing on the team, we won't improve.
- Our fans have 2 choices: continue to support the team and be part of something big, OR bail and allow our program to remain how it is right now: irrelevant in the conference
- Seems kinda pointless to bail on these guys. They are good people. I'm proud of the student athletes we have on this team. The character is much better than players in previous years

Going back full circle, I'm saying that fans bailing on a team is a slippery path. So many are overreacting and I hope they are all talk. A school like ours NEEDs a supportive fanbase to get over the hump......

Get what I'm saying?

I get what you're saying...you went off cause you were upset and started a thread to complain about the fanbase. Now that you've been ripped for going off on fans, you've tried to change your argument. Do you get what I'm saying? :wink:

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I think this is almost a "which came first, egg or chicken" debate. Empty seats in football or basketball are not good for recruiting. Frankly, after watching the Baylor game, I was like, who wants to go there as emptyish that stadium looked, but as the announcers said, over 300 DI recruits out of Texas this year. How many out of Iowa each year? 10-25?.

I don't live in Iowa anymore, and one of the things I long for is to go to football and basketball games, even if we are losing, as an ISU fan, I just wish I could be there to go to games and enjoy the energy and the experience.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
Dude, do you work for the state or fed government or possibly in a union. I show up for work and perfrom like that and I'm no longer employed. Enough is enough, time for the team to start giving something back to the fans. I have given enough already, No excuses.

I do not. These guys are not full time employees; if you have job where you do a bad job on 1 day, then I feel bad for you. The beauty with sports is that if you mess up, you've got the next game to make up for it.

Sorry, but you can't compare college football to working full time.

There's more to life than football. Our team didn't do well; we're all dissapointed. What's wrong with cheering and rooting hard for them to try to help them beat the Huskers?

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
I get what you're saying...you went off cause you were upset and started a thread to complain about the fanbase. Now that you've been ripped for going off on fans, you've tried to change your argument. Do you get what I'm saying? :wink:

You're the only one whos really "ripping me". I've gotten some positive comments about my post as well.

It sounds to me that you're defending people who are wanting to bail on the team.

Usually those who get all defensive, are the ones who are acting in the way it was described...

minnclone99

Nov 22, 2006
Rompots
Coaching staff is still in the grace period.

Sucks to lose to Baylor, but tear your house down to the studs and rebuild. You make a little progress then some rain comes dripping thru the tarp on your roof, and you spend a whole day re-doing the tarp instead of hanging sheetrock. Life's a b!tch like that sometimes.

htownclone

Jan 3, 2007
You're the only one whos really "ripping me". I've gotten some positive comments about my post as well.

It sounds to me that you're defending people who are wanting to bail on the team.

Usually those who get all defensive, are the ones who are acting in the way it was described...

Well now I flat out think you might be an idiot...I never said I was wanting to bail on the team at all...I said the fans are not going to be what makes us successful, which is what you said. It's the players that are. I'll cheer for ISU no matter how good or bad they are.

Your entire reasoning for making the thread was to rip on ISU fans. Deny it all you want. What I'm telling you is that the fans are not the problem. Fans have the right to discuss their frustrations on a message board, which is probably the best place to do so. Better than booing fans on the field or the coach like you see at some schools.

To compare CF to HawkeyeNation and cyclone fans to hawkeye fans is ridiculous.

Reactions: SC Cy

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
It was to rip on those who call themselves fans but are not. I don't want to be associated with those people. We're a better fanbase than going off the deep end like a fair number have.

I was trying to point out the some irony. So many on here talk about how we're a good fanbase (which we are) and how bad the Hawks fanbase is (which in a lot of ways they are). What I've been reading today from a fair number of posters, is the same type of posts one would expect from Hawks fans.

The idea of the post was to just point out who hawkeyeish some on this board are being. It was my hope that some would read it, realize they're being irrational and move on.

Instead, it seems like some people liked it, others did not, and it struck a chord with htownclone.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Well now I flat out think you might be an idiot...I never said I was wanting to bail on the team at all...I said the fans are not going to be what makes us successful, which is what you said. It's the players that are. I'll cheer for ISU no matter how good or bad they are.

Your entire reasoning for making the thread was to rip on ISU fans. Deny it all you want. What I'm telling you is that the fans are not the problem. Fans have the right to discuss their frustrations on a message board, which is probably the best place to do so. Better than booing fans on the field or the coach like you see at some schools.

threads calling for the outser of our coach.
threads calling for out back up qb.
threads calling our coaches over paid.
unrealistic expecatations

yup a lot different than Jon's board.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

Well, there is a topic regarding Tiller taking off his redshirt. I think it's just as ridiculous to continue to think we're so much better/different than Hawk fans.

It was to rip on those who call themselves fans but are not. I don't want to be associated with those people. We're a better fanbase than going off the deep end like a fair number have.

I'd contend you went off the deep end with this thread too.

Again, every single time we lose, whether it be in football or basketball, there is always at least one post-loss fan ripping thread. It's one of the constants around here.

Our team gave a horrible effort last night, period. The fans had no hand in that, the players/coaches did. It's natural for fans to be quite upset over it. If you're not very upset over how the last 4 games have gone, well, perhaps it's those individuals that are not "true fans".

Last edited:

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
I do not. These guys are not full time employees; if you have job where you do a bad job on 1 day, then I feel bad for you. The beauty with sports is that if you mess up, you've got the next game to make up for it.

Sorry, but you can't compare college football to working full time.

There's more to life than football. Our team didn't do well; we're all dissapointed. What's wrong with cheering and rooting hard for them to try to help them beat the Huskers?

What?:confused:

nevermind dude, continue to rip on us ISU fans. :chatterbox:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I really think far too many fans are "ok" with all of this. Being so close to KU. Close with Iowa. Winning on the road is just tough.

Blah, blah, blah.

I was just livid after that game in Ames last weekend. No excuse for it. And then we follow it up with a, well, I'm tired of trying to describe that game last night.

It' unacceptable.

Cyclones78227

Oct 3, 2008
San Antonio. Tx
I really think far too many fans are "ok" with all of this. Being so close to KU. Close with Iowa. Winning on the road is just tough.

Blah, blah, blah.

I was just livid after that game in Ames last weekend. No excuse for it. And then we follow it up with a, well, I'm tired of trying to describe that game last night.

It' unacceptable.

You are right on last nights game, it was dreadful.

But, I don't see people being OK with the way that we have played. I see that there are people that look at the reality of where we are as a program, at this time, and see that it is not going to be an overnight fix. What we have seen in small doses (very small) is that when this staff has had the opportunity to recruit another year, and continue to bridge the talent gap, we can put together a half of football that demolishes a top 20 team.

Is that enough, absolutely not. This staff had a bad day at Iowa, a worse half in Las Vegas, and a complete embarrassment of a day in Waco. They need to grow along with the program, and it needs to happen sooner than later.

For some reason, though, I have a feeling that we will see a good effort from this group on Saturday morning. I don't know if it will be enough to win, but I get the sense that they have hit bottom (another not so fun part of building a program is that whole learning how to play hard for the entire 60 minutes).

And Flag Guy, you are right it is as pointless to bring up what was left by Mac, as it is for all of the Mac supporters with an agenda to come on here and rip the coach everytime something goes wrong, that is my opinion on the whole thing.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I just can't believe that we have fans who aren't smart enough to be able to keep ideas separate. There are two issues that are being discussed, not one.

1. Our team played terribly on Saturday - for whatever reason, it happened, nothing we could do about it then, nothing we can do about it now.

2. Our fans are acting terribly now - something we CAN do something about seeing as it is still going on and we have the ability to try and influence people's thoughts if they would but listen.

Now, one might say that the reason that most people are upset is that our team lost in a poor manner. One might even say fans are 'justified' in acting poorly after a loss such as this. But, in the end, it is you as a fan who decides how you are going to react with regards to situations, not the football team. The football players aren't physically bullying you into posting crap on these forums so do not say that the football team playing poorly is 'causing' you to post negatively because that is like a football player saying that he played poorly due to the fans not cheering loud enough. If they did, you would call them out for being bad players, just like the original poster of this thread is calling out some of you for being bad fans in regards to posting thoughts online.

I hope a few of you who these posts are directed at actually take the time to read this, but my gut feelings tell me this will go mostly unnoticed by those it is intended to reach.

Reactions: Aclone

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
really? I'm gonna say the players are who are going to make us successful. Sure a great fan base is wonderful, but I go to plenty of ISU bball and fball games and I've never heard our fans not support the team or turn against them. Fans don't go out and play the games, the players do and the coaches prepare them for the game...don't even begin to blame the fans.

A strong fan base is what gets and keeps good coaches and their staffs.

A strong fan base is what helps convince young athletes that Ames is indeed the place they want to get their education and participate in D-1 athletics.

Fans may not have a lot or anything to do with what goes on in games, but they do have a huge impact on the psyche of those teams, and of the perceptions people have towards ISU itself.

I think a major part of the problem is exactly what fans are accusing the athletes themselves of, a need for instantaneous gratification. Sure it's frustrating losing games people think we should win, even more so when we appear to come out less than inspired to play a conference game, but it gets tiring hearing about what we haven't done in recent years. A lot of Cyclone fans have gone through much longer post-season droughts than you ever will as long as JP is here running the athletics dept. The scary thing is that he might tire of hearing all this negative crap and move on to greener pastures and a more appreciative fan base, leaving us to hire: another BVD?

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA

Blah, blah, blah.

It' unacceptable.

What's unacceptable is fans giving up on their teams and players after a poor performance. Until your life is perfection, don't dare to expect it from young men who are working their butts off every day on the field and in the classroom. :no::no::no::no::no:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Are you guys serious??? Like really?
I am honestly ashamed of so many of you that are just giving up on the team and saying this season is over, pointless and all of that. I don't see what's wrong with cheering the guys on.
Amen. It's time to rally around this team, instead of giving up.

Tell me, if your kid stubs his toe rounding second and doesn't score the winning run, do you disown him? Or do you kiss him where it hurts most (the forehead), tell him to get back out there and work herd, and "We'll get 'em next week!"?

That's what we need to do right now...these are a bunch of kids.

And Nebraska sucks. :biggrin:

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
This team is a disappointment because it has most of the tools to be in every game . . . blowing that Kansas game and losing the way they did at Baylor is shameful. Don't blame the fans.

Reactions: Wesley

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
This team is a disappointment because it has most of the tools to be in every game . . . blowing that Kansas game and losing the way they did at Baylor is shameful. Don't blame the fans.

First, we were "in" the Kansas game. Second, one of the "tools" we lack is experience. Thirdly, apparently you missed this post: :yes:

I just can't believe that we have fans who aren't smart enough to be able to keep ideas separate. There are two issues that are being discussed, not one.

1. Our team played terribly on Saturday - for whatever reason, it happened, nothing we could do about it then, nothing we can do about it now.

2. Our fans are acting terribly now - something we CAN do something about seeing as it is still going on and we have the ability to try and influence people's thoughts if they would but listen.

Now, one might say that the reason that most people are upset is that our team lost in a poor manner. One might even say fans are 'justified' in acting poorly after a loss such as this. But, in the end, it is you as a fan who decides how you are going to react with regards to situations, not the football team. The football players aren't physically bullying you into posting crap on these forums so do not say that the football team playing poorly is 'causing' you to post negatively because that is like a football player saying that he played poorly due to the fans not cheering loud enough. If they did, you would call them out for being bad players, just like the original poster of this thread is calling out some of you for being bad fans in regards to posting thoughts online.

I hope a few of you who these posts are directed at actually take the time to read this, but my gut feelings tell me this will go mostly unnoticed by those it is intended to reach.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
What's unacceptable is fans giving up on their teams and players after a poor performance. Until your life is perfection, don't dare to expect it from young men who are working their butts off every day on the field and in the classroom.

Who said anything about giving up on the team or expecting perfection?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron