Huggins' post-game press conference

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I guess I never really had any problems with Huggins. He was upset with the officiating, but so were 14000 ISU fans. The man was dissappointed that his team didn't win. I was happy we did.

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
I will always remember Huggins on the floor with Da'Sean Butler after his knee injury in the final 4. I would have no problem with my kid playing for him.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
So Couch Coach has a few anger management issues? He was verbally pounding on his best shooter at the end after the kid committed a foul late in the shot clock. It builds character to be yelled at by the Grouch Coach when the game is on line at the very end. Yeeesssss. NOT.

Seemed like he was doing that all second half whenever someone made a foul. As if his little explanations were going to make a difference. By the looks on their faces, it seemed very humiliating and a waste of time. Yet, they fought back, so maybe he is doing something right.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Based on the quotes in the paper, I think he has learned where to go with his team from CFH. Said his bigs are terrible and he's going small.
Yeah, his big that looks like the Brawny Towel guy was not worth much.

Last edited:

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I think Fred ALWAYS keeps his composure on purpose, to protect his heart. When he even mentions a call to the refs, the refs should just know they screwed up.

Fred was that way long before he knew he had a heart condition. He wasn't a guy to go off (except scoring) in high school, college, or the pros, so no surprise he doesn't as a coach...too cerebral. I also have heard him comment his heart condition also impacts how he thinks about what he does as a coach, but it didn't start there.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Fred was that way long before he knew he had a heart condition. He wasn't a guy to go off (except scoring) in high school, college, or the pros, so no surprise he doesn't as a coach...too cerebral. I also have heard him comment his heart condition also impacts how he thinks about what he does as a coach, but it didn't start there.

Have to agree. When he goes off (ala Chris Allen), people tend to pay attention

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I hated how the announcers acted like WV's performance wasn't Huggins's fault. Is it not his responsibility to recruit shooters if that is what he needs?

No kidding. If I didn't know better I would have thought they were joking. Or quoting Yogi Berra or something :biglaugh:

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Link from WV paper Schizophrenic Mountaineers go small to mount rally - The Exponent Telegram : Sports

So Huggy Bear says of the Cylone fans, “This is definitely not a wine and cheese crowd,” he said.

How Huggy described his team, “Truth of the matter is this was a team built to play in the Big East, a big physical league. We just have to go small because that has not worked,” said Huggins.
What worked was those four guards, who brought them back and put them in a position to win until a basket by freshman Georges Niang on a nifty feed from Will Clyburn for his only assist of the game wiped out all the good feeling.

And yes, Huggy is still crying about the non-call at the end of the game (notice he didn't comment on the Ejim foul) "It didn’t help any that the officials missed what Huggins felt was a clear foul in the closing seconds before the winning basket, setting him off at game’s end.
“That was every bit as much a foul as the foul they called on us at the end of the Kansas State game,” Huggins said.
Again, though, he didn’t get the call and all those spectacular 3s, all the guts and the glory of the climb from 18 down, meant nothing at all.
“We’re two calls from being 3-1 in the league instead of 1-3,” Huggins said.

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
It wasn't his complaints about the fouls, he was ******** cause they wouldn't give him any aspirin. He and his staff were out late last night at WESTTOWN PUB AND GRILL. hE GOT BLIND DRUNK, WAS SMOKING CIGARETTES IN THE BAR. THE BAR STAFF KEPT TAKING THEM AWAY FROM HIM AND quote THUGGINS...JUST GIVE ME THE TICKET, I GOT LOTS OF MONEY...quote. I am suprised he didn't get a public intox. TRUE STORY HE HAD A HANGOVER AND IT SHOWED ON HIS FACE.

He is just a GREAT representative for West Virginia, where DNA is never checked in a murder investigation, cause they're all related.

This makes me laugh because usually I feel like you are full of crap but we were at westtowne Tuesday night and saw 2 guys in WVU gear and when we looked at the bench last night, the first "coach" on the bench was the guy at the bar. Never did see huggy but it is actually possible.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Understandable that Huggy was frustrated with the loss after WV fought all the way back from so far down. The guy has had a lot of success and done nothing or said nothing bad about ISU as far as I know. Sure he fights for his team on the sideline but otherwise he seems like a guy you'd like to have a drink with, and I imagine a lot of coaches probably have.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Maybe Huggy Bear should watch the Jordan-esque pushoff by his guy to tie it. Or the bs four fouls we got in about 10 seconds. Hope he did enough to get fined.

I didn't get a great look at it from where I was, but I thought the guy pushed Korie off to get room for that last 3 too.

CyFan3

Apr 1, 2012
West Des Moines, IA
Sorry if already mentioned but I loved one of his post game comments....."we have 3 bite who think they're Shaq....but they aren't" just the way he said it was funny

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I disagree. I watched the slow motion and normal speed many times. When you flob your head doesn't snap back like Kories did.

I'm with you here. They showed that replay lots of times and every time I thought it was a legit pushoff and not a flop by KL.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I'm with you here. They showed that replay lots of times and every time I thought it was a legit pushoff and not a flop by KL.

Agreed. I don't know how you could watch the replay and call that a flop. Can't believe the tv guys just ignored it and talked about how amazing the shooter was for getting his feet behind the 3 point line.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Hoiberg called it a flop that Lucious probably shouldn't have taken. Post-game on the radio.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Hoiberg called it a flop that Lucious probably shouldn't have taken. Post-game on the radio.

"Probably shouldn't have taken?" It would be incredibly dumb if it was a flop. Calls were not going our way and it left the shooter wide open.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron