Huggins' post-game press conference

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Huggins pulled the same crap when he was at KSU. Martin continued the tradition. Beat the snot out of the other team and whine about every call against themselves.

I was commenting last night about how calm he has become. Go back and watch the ISU - Cincinnati NCAA tournament game in 1997. Thought he was either going to start punching his players or have a heart attack.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I was commenting last night about how calm he has become. Go back and watch the ISU - Cincinnati NCAA tournament game in 1997. Thought he was either going to start punching his players or have a heart attack.

If I recall correctly...Huggins suffered a heart attack during/after a game versus DePaul while he was at Cincinnati.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
So Couch Coach has a few anger management issues? He was verbally pounding on his best shooter at the end after the kid committed a foul late in the shot clock. It builds character to be yelled at by the Grouch Coach when the game is on line at the very end. Yeeesssss. NOT.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Huggins' has nobody but himself to blame. How about actually recruiting a player that can shoot. Outside of the last 10 minutes when a couple of them started shooting out of their minds I couldn't believe how bad of shooters they were. Take away their 15 layups and the lucky 3's at the end and the rest of the shots were clunkers. Has to be the worst Huggins team I've seen in 20 years. Maybe the game has passed him by.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Huggy Bear needed a hug for sure. Claimed officiating was poor. Can't blame him for being upset after a loss like that. I thought they played hard the entire time, and never gave up.

Didn't think he was that bad during the game, well, not Roy Williams or Coach K bad anyway.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Huggins' has nobody but himself to blame. How about actually recruiting a player that can shoot. Outside of the last 10 minutes when a couple of them started shooting out of their minds I couldn't believe how bad of shooters they were. Take away their 15 layups and the lucky 3's at the end and the rest of the shots were clunkers. Has to be the worst Huggins team I've seen in 20 years. Maybe the game has passed him by.

Must have passed him by pretty quick than as he took WV to the Final Four 3 years ago. When was the last time he wasn't in the NCAA tournament? This is looking like the first time in a long time.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Must have passed him by pretty quick than as he took WV to the Final Four 3 years ago. When was the last time he wasn't in the NCAA tournament? This is looking like the first time in a long time.
He missed the tourney at K-State but he probably got screwed that year. He won't even be near the bubble this year. His problem this year is his team is short and can't shoot. Next year he's bringing in some more size but he still not bringing in a shooter.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Based on the quotes in the paper, I think he has learned where to go with his team from CFH. Said his bigs are terrible and he's going small.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
He missed the tourney at K-State but he probably got screwed that year. He won't even be near the bubble this year. His problem this year is his team is short and can't shoot. Next year he's bringing in some more size but he still not bringing in a shooter.

How can you say the game has passed him by when he was in the final 4 just 3 years ago? And he's made the tournament every year at WV.

Even Roy Williams misses a tournament every now and than at UNC which is a much easier job. I don't like Huggins but you can't question his job as a coach and resume.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I hated how the announcers acted like WV's performance wasn't Huggins's fault. Is it not his responsibility to recruit shooters if that is what he needs?

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
How can you say the game has passed him by when he was in the final 4 just 3 years ago? And he's made the tournament every year at WV.

Even Roy Williams misses a tournament every now and than at UNC which is a much easier job. I don't like Huggins but you can't question his job as a coach and resume.
I just think it takes a special kid to play for him and that makes it harder for him to recruit. Most of those kids that hustle like he wants them to don't shoot that great. That is a problem he has this year and it will be a problem next year and possibly for years after that. Roy had one bad year in which his McD AA's didn't play together but he's still signing McD AA's so chances are he's not going to miss the tourney very often. WV's future is a much different story. WV was in a pretty good position in the Big East when it had all their teams but being in the Big 12 with their location isn't a positive for their recruiting. I think ISU, KU, Texas, Baylor, OU and OSU are all in better situations than WV for basketball. I see WV as a middle of the pack conference team at best in the future which puts them on the bubble most years and a long ways from Final Fours.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Lucious flopped at the end, pretty obvious. But, the refs called a couple flops for WV, so that was frustrating.

I do not know of very many refs that would call a foul on a game winning half court heave. As long as the defender is straight up, there will never be a foul.

I disagree. I watched the slow motion and normal speed many times. When you flob your head doesn't snap back like Kories did.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Yeah, I'm not sure how we are questioning Huggins success. He's been pretty damn good at coaching basketball for a pretty long time at mediocre places to coach.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Yeah, I'm not sure how we are questioning Huggins success. He's been pretty damn good at coaching basketball for a pretty long time at mediocre places to coach.
I agree he's been a very successful coach. I'm not talking about his past I'm guessing on his future. I could be way off and he could be back next year, but I think this year isn't just a bump in the road for him. I think he's going to take a step down and his best years are in his rear view mirror. We'll just have to see.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I've always had a good perception of Huggins, but that is most definitely tied to the fact that I grew up in Ohio, and they pretty much idolized him when he was coaching UC to all their success.

Help Support Us

Become a patron