Howdy Cyclones (An Aggie breaking down the Aggies)

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Overall, I must say you Aggies are generally pretty damn nice.

Thanks for your insights (I'm also talking about the other dude who posted the stat page).

agree. I think some of it might be they are extra nice as they have fallen on hard times and found themselves ignored just like every other non-OU/Texas team in this conference, but they have been cordial. However, they have the most annoying band in the entire country. Before I get slaughtered by all you band nuts loving people marching around in straight lines to Sousa marches, I realize this is just a difference of opinions.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
agree. I think some of it might be they are extra nice as they have fallen on hard times and found themselves ignored just like every other non-OU/Texas team in this conference, but they have been cordial. However, they have the most annoying band in the entire country. Before I get slaughtered by all you band nuts loving people marching around in straight lines to Sousa marches, I realize this is just a difference of opinions.

I spent 4 years in the ISU marching band, and 2 summers touring with a drum and bugle corps...

And i agree. Their shows are very boring. Very cleanly marched, but not all that demanding in terms of drill.

Also, i think another reason we find them nice is that they are a very similar school. Ive been there a few times, and it struck me as "iowa state with more money, 2x the size, and better weather". Its an ag-based land grant school that shares a lot of the same strengths as ISU.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
What I don't understand is the total lack of knowledge by media and most other teams right now. Saying their offense must suck and how could they only score 9 points with 8 turnovers.

How good would A&M feel right now if they had to go into Lincoln without their starting QB and RB? Throw in some more sickness and injuries and you have your reason why there was only 9 points on the board.
I think our offense is going to be no where near what its capable of due to Arnaud and AROB. Even if they play they can't be healthy.
For that reason alone I think A&M wins this game.
Would love to be wrong though. If AA and AROB are both healthy then I think we run the ball all day on them and keep the ball out of their offense's hands. Our defense stays fresh and we leave with a win.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Great school, great town, great stadium, A&M is definitely my 2nd favorite big 12 school. But I really want to get bowl eligible now rather than waiting for an OSU game miracle or more likely Colorado. My mind says A&M by 7-14, but my heart says ISU finds a way to win 3 straight big 12 games for the first time in a LONG time.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPD2-gwsvpc"]YouTube - Texas A&M Fight song (Parody)[/ame]

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice
Thanks for the breakdown. I gotta admit, there's a lot of things that scare me about the Aggies this year.....#3 offense is nothing to sneeze at and beating Tech handily is impressive.

I'm also a little worried that our guys are still pretty banged up and are coming off an emotional high that we as a program haven't experienced in a very long time.

With that said, the Iowa game is the only game that we really haven't had a chance to win and that was b/c of our 6 turnovers & awful QB play. If we take care of the ball on Saturday and get some Aggie turnovers, we will have a shot at stealing another one. Hopefully ARob & Arnaud are feeling good in that warm Texas sunshine.

ISU 33, A&M 30

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
Hey TexAg2012!

Thanks for the info! As you can probably tell we now have renewed excitement for ISU and we're looking for a great game against you guys. The sad part to this is we can't get this game on tv which it definitely should be. Anyway, welcome to the board, you're welcome here anytime.

TxAg73

Oct 25, 2009
My thoughts, in order of importance. Note this is only off the small amount of tape I've seen of the Cyclones and what I've read through out the year, mainly the past week or so

Trenches - Edge ISU
--We're small on both lines, and still finding our identity on the offensive line. Only edge for A&M has to be Von Miller, guy has obliterated everyone put in front oh him not named Russell Okung. A&M was manhandled by Arkansas and KSU, hope for more of the same if you're a Cyclone fan.
Experience - Edge ISU
--Cleary A&M is very young and everyone knows it, I believe we've played 17 true freshman this year, with the addition of a new punter last Saturday. Iowa State seems to be much more seasoned which is clearly a big edge in conference road game. Been there, done that, esp. this year in a big game in Lincoln.
Turnovers - Edge ISU
--LOL no comment necessary except that A&M is still +3 in turnover margin despite losing that battle 5-0 against KState.
Quarterback - Push (if Arnuad can go, otherwise huge Edge in A&M's corner)
--Could talk all day about both of these guys. Two really good QB's for both teams, each are dual-threats, yet Arnaud appears to utilize more designed runs while the majority of Jerrod's are draw-reads or scrambles. Passing edge would seemingly go to Jerrod, but looking at last year's game, these two played to a virtual push. Obviously health is a big concern here, if Arnaud is unable to go, ISU could become too one-dimensional on offense.
Home Field - Edge A&M
--Saddens me to put this at #5, but we're having trouble selling-out games (i.e. haven't) and even w/ a big win last week I don't expect Kyle Field to be as crazy as it should be.
Defense - Edge ISU
--Clear edge here, at least in points scored in your Big12 bouts, however, you do seem to be a bit of a bend-don't-break defense, as every team has put up more than 350yards and it seems turnovers have made a big impact in every game. The Kansas game is telling, a similarly potent offense like A&M and you only caused 1 turnover, resulted in giving up 41pts and a tough L. A&M defense has a few excellent players, surrounded by a bunch of mistake-prone, tackle-missing, inexperienced athletes. ISU's style has been seen before in the likes of USU, OSU, and KSU, and A&M allowed 30+ in all of those.
Special Teams - Edge ISU
--A&M has big trouble on kick-coverage, and averaging under 40yd/punt doesn't help either. Haven't seen much from ISU other than the fake punt, but I'm assuming you cannot be worse than A&M. I do understand you've had trouble w/ PATs and FG's, do not fear, we haven't come close to blocking a kick since Bucky Richardson was around.
RBs - Push (Assuming Robinson can go but isn't 100%)
--Our two semi-studs vs. your stud, if I had to give an edge it'd be to Robinson b/c of his superior line play. Gray is a bit more active out of the backfield than Robinson or Michael, which is a nice bonus.
WRs/TEs - Edge A&M
--Would assume, along w/ home field, that this is the easiest pick. EZ+Fuller+Jackson+McCoy+Tannehill combined for nearly 300yd receiving in last year's game, and both EZ and Jackson were attending their Winter formal. Sumrall is gone, ergo, I give A&M a big edge here.

Prediction (subject to change as injuries clear up)

ISU 31
A&M 27

A few fumbles, and an inability to get off the field on 3rd and 4-7 plague the Ags all day. We grossly lose the T.O.P and Field Position battles, causing a short-handed defense to tire in the 4th, losing a hard-fought, clean game. Both team have plenty of bulletin-board type material to keep them focused. Each team is coming off of a big win, so while there might be a letdown, it's impossible to say which team it would come from. Both teams are basically playing for bowl-eligibility, as ISU probably needs 7 wins, A&M 6, and each have a remaining game vs. CU and the Ags still play Baylor at home Week 12.

Last edited:

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Hate to be a Debbie Downer but I'm more concerned about this game then I was before the Nebraska game.

Statistically A&M is significantly better than we are on offense and we are slightly better than them on defense. Defensively we seem to have a problem against good mobile QB's. Even Nebraska's offense drove on us a few times before turning it over.

We are going to have to do some long clock burning drives that end up in points and whenever the defense is able to make a stop to capitalize on them and not go three and out right away. I think this will end up like the KU game where we'll need to score on the our last possession to win.

Last edited:

TexAg2012

Oct 27, 2009
The Texas A&M cyclonefanatic site would be www.texags.com

I'm a regular over there, most are pretty even keel. the football board (the free one) is pretty wild sometimes. It is the largest college message board that I know of, plus it has some great threads to laugh at. As for the Aggie0579 or whatever his handle was, he is most likely a troll. I don't recognize the handle and if he doesn't have an Ag tag (little maroon oval with Ag in it) he is prolly a poor troll. I've been a paying member there for a long time and that handle is new to me.

TxAg73

Oct 25, 2009
I don't waste time on the interwebs to blow smoke up Iowa State fan's *****, I waste time b/c work is boooooooooooooring.

TexAg2012

Oct 27, 2009
I don't own a restaurant, I'm a current student (I have watched more football than should be allowed by law however).

As for the band, to each his own, but I'm going to throw this out there. I marched in a darn good band in high school, and I have friends in the Aggie band right now. There drill is not easy, it is precision marching. They do a new show each and every week and only practice for an hour or so in the morning. They do manuevers that are impossible according to computers and are on of the better college bands, and I've seen a vast majority, either in person or their show on video.

If you haven't seen them in person, you won't get the experience, the fans truly love them. As we say here, They are the pulse of Aggieland.

basketball13

Aug 12, 2008
My thoughts, in order of importance. Note this is only off the small amount of tape I've seen of the Cyclones and what I've read through out the year, mainly the past week or so

Trenches - Edge ISU
--We're small on both lines, and still finding our identity on the offensive line. Only edge for A&M has to be Von Miller, guy has obliterated everyone put in front oh him not named Russell Okung. A&M was manhandled by Arkansas and KSU, hope for more of the same if you're a Cyclone fan.
Experience - Edge ISU
--Cleary A&M is very young and everyone knows it, I believe we've played 17 true freshman this year, with the addition of a new punter last Saturday. Iowa State seems to be much more seasoned which is clearly a big edge in conference road game. Been there, done that, esp. this year in a big game in Lincoln.
Turnovers - Edge ISU
--LOL no comment necessary except that A&M is still +3 in turnover margin despite losing that battle 5-0 against KState.
Quarterback - Push (if Arnuad can go, otherwise huge Edge in A&M's corner)
--Could talk all day about both of these guys. Two really good QB's for both teams, each are dual-threats, yet Arnaud appears to utilize more designed runs while the majority of Jerrod's are draw-reads or scrambles. Passing edge would seemingly go to Jerrod, but looking at last year's game, these two played to a virtual push. Obviously health is a big concern here, if Arnaud is unable to go, ISU could become too one-dimensional on offense.
Home Field - Edge A&M
--Saddens me to put this at #5, but we're having trouble selling-out games (i.e. haven't) and even w/ a big win last week I don't expect Kyle Field to be as crazy as it should be.
Defense - Edge ISU
--Clear edge here, at least in points scored in your Big12 bouts, however, you do seem to be a bit of a bend-don't-break defense, as every team has put up more than 350yards and it seems turnovers have made a big impact in every game. The Kansas game is telling, a similarly potent offense like A&M and you only caused 1 turnover, resulted in giving up 41pts and a tough L. A&M defense has a few excellent players, surrounded by a bunch of mistake-prone, tackle-missing, inexperienced athletes. ISU's style has been seen before in the likes of USU, OSU, and KSU, and A&M allowed 30+ in all of those.
Special Teams - Edge ISU
--A&M has big trouble on kick-coverage, and averaging under 40yd/punt doesn't help either. Haven't seen much from ISU other than the fake punt, but I'm assuming you cannot be worse than A&M. I do understand you've had trouble w/ PATs and FG's, do not fear, we haven't come close to blocking a kick since Bucky Richardson was around.
RBs - Push (Assuming Robinson can go but isn't 100%)
--Our two semi-studs vs. your stud, if I had to give an edge it'd be to Robinson b/c of his superior line play. Gray is a bit more active out of the backfield than Robinson or Michael, which is a nice bonus.
WRs/TEs - Edge A&M
--Would assume, along w/ home field, that this is the easiest pick. EZ+Fuller+Jackson+McCoy+Tannehill combined for nearly 300yd receiving in last year's game, and both EZ and Jackson were attending their Winter formal. Sumrall is gone, ergo, I give A&M a big edge here.
I would agree with this assessment, but I would give Jerrod the edge at quarterback. I know that stats don't tell the whole story, but Arnaud has only had 2 games where he's thrown for over 200 yards and he has trouble throwing the deep ball. Jerrod has completed a 40 yard pass in every game so far, except against oklahoma state. I understand that he has a lot more attempts but just from what I've seen, I would give the edge at QB to A&M.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
I remember when the A&M band came to Jack Trice in the mid-2000's. It was one of the few times I paid attention during half time, and I remember coming away fairly impressed. That said, I have no knowledge of the intricacies of marching band finery.

TxAg73

Oct 25, 2009
I would agree with this assessment, but I would give Jerrod the edge at quarterback. I know that stats don't tell the whole story, but Arnaud has only had 2 games where he's thrown for over 200 yards and he has trouble throwing the deep ball. Jerrod has completed a 40 yard pass in every game so far, except against oklahoma state. I understand that he has a lot more attempts but just from what I've seen, I would give the edge at QB to A&M.

I cannot argue with this, and I think Johnson is clearly better in a vacuum, I'm just a bit concerned w/ a dual-thread QB vs. our defense. Also, looking at the ISU v. KU boxscore, I think I grossly underestimated the disparity in WR talent. Briscoe+Meier combined for 32catches/328yards/4TD's. We have similar, if not a deeper-set of playmakers at WR/TE, therefore I probably underestimated the impact they'll have on Saturday. Finally, a pass-happy Kansas was able to play to a draw in the T.O.P battle. However, all things being said, ISU still had a chance to win the game on their final possession.

millerforrest

Jun 4, 2008
Hey TexAg2012? How can it be "God's Country" in Texas when isn't this HEAVEN? No? It's IOWA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!