How I Met Your Mother

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Next season (Season 8) is the last. I still really enjoy the show although earlier seasons were funnier IMO. I don't understand why people are so frustrated not meeting the mother before last night...once we knew it wasn't Robin and was going to be a random person, who cares what the mother looks like or her name is.

My theory before last night was that Ted and Robin get married but end up getting divorced (or Robin dies), Ted remarries and has his kids with another woman. But last night's season finale ended that idea.

After 'the time travelers', when he talks about how he would have gone and seen her just to have a few more days with her, i think the mother might have died. Would also explain why the kids were willing to sit through such a long story.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
After 'the time travelers', when he talks about how he would have gone and seen her just to have a few more days with her, i think the mother might have died. Would also explain why the kids were willing to sit through such a long story.

That was my exact thought. I think she is dead. I don't recall future Ted ever saying anything to his kids like "don't tell your mother this" or anything like that.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I loved the build up of last night's episode. Made me want to know more. Will Ted go to Chicago? If so, how long? He still has to MEET this mystery girl. Though I love how she had the boots/base guitar/yellow umbrella. They've been building those up too long for her not to be the 1. Will Barney/Robin ever find out the reason Ted wants to move to Chicago? Will Marshall take the judgeship?

Pretty cool to think about a show that makes you wait 8 years to find out who the Title talks about. What other show besides maybe Lost has made us wait nearly a decade to find such a big question?

I also like how the show has always been about the 5 main characters and never has lost any or had to add any.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I loved the build up of last night's episode. Made me want to know more. Will Ted go to Chicago? If so, how long? He still has to MEET this mystery girl. Though I love how she had the boots/base guitar/yellow umbrella. They've been building those up too long for her not to be the 1. Will Barney/Robin ever find out the reason Ted wants to move to Chicago? Will Marshall take the judgeship?

Pretty cool to think about a show that makes you wait 8 years to find out who the Title talks about. What other show besides maybe Lost has made us wait nearly a decade to find such a big question?

I also like how the show has always been about the 5 main characters and never has lost any or had to add any.

I do like the show but it heavily recycles jokes. Im ready for it to be done. I hate that there is another season coming. They should have ended it this year.

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
I'm surprised they actually put a face to her. Great finale though, it'll be interesting to see where things go from here.

There's still speculation that this is yet ANOTHER trick by the writers, and that it's not actually his wife. I don't think that's true though. It'd be different if this was yet another mid-season fling for Ted, but the timing of it leads me to believe that this is the one. Also, they've been hyping up Barney's future wedding for quite a few years now, and when we find out that the implications of said wedding (where Ted eventually meets the mother), it would just be anti-climatic to have all this hype build to nothing. Plus, it's not like there won't be any dramatic tension for the next season if Ted ends up meeting his future wife in an early episode -- you still have Marshall's job offer that he took (that he still hasn't had a chance to tell Lily about yet), you have Ted thinking that Robin is still the love of his life... lots to build on yet.

Don't forget Ted thinks he's leaving for Chicago! Lot's of loose ends to tie up in the final season!

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010

That question was answered last night when Marshall told his brother after hanging up with Lily that it was news he had to say in person, and then Marshall's brother referred to him as "your honor"

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
That question was answered last night when Marshall told his brother after hanging up with Lily that it was news he had to say in person, and then Marshall's brother referred to him as "your honor"

Oops...correct. the question should be how Lilly handles the news.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I do like the show but it heavily recycles jokes. Im ready for it to be done. I hate that there is another season coming. They should have ended it this year.

Agreed though I'm fine with one more season. The show was really easy to be funny when Barney was single and hated marriage. Now they are having heavier plotlines which are harder to be funny from. Don't get me wrong, this show pioneered a lot of good humor ideas. Slap bets, the blitz ect ect.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Thought about that too...but none of them are ever sad and you would think they would be if their mom died. My wife and I talked about the opposite, what if Ted is dead and the kids are watching a video from him. But again, no real emotion so its likely we/people are reading way too much into it. But its fun to speculate!

Brad4Cyclones

Dec 13, 2011

Well we know that Ted doesn't sell the house so I doubt he goes to Chicago. I also really doubt that they go to Rome as well.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Interesting article on the episode last night.

News: The Mother Revealed - How I Met Your Mother - CBS.com

Two tidbits I got out of it

1. She plays bass, most likely on her way to play bass at Barney and Robin's wedding?
2. How long til Ted runs into her? I like how the audience gets to "meet" her before Ted.

Also, please don't post in this thread simply to say it sucks or you hate it. At least explain why.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Interesting article on the episode last night.

News: The Mother Revealed - How I Met Your Mother - CBS.com

Two tidbits I got out of it

1. She plays bass, most likely on her way to play bass at Barney and Robin's wedding?
2. How long til Ted runs into her? I like how the audience gets to "meet" her before Ted.

Also, please don't post in this thread simply to say it sucks or you hate it. At least explain why.

She's in the band at the wedding. And we know they are talking at the train station in Farhampton at some point, as that was shown earlier this season.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Screw this show. I'm pizzed Rules of Engagement is done after this year. Funniest show on TV by far.

Ridiculous. Rules of Engagement is NOT funny. Neither is BBT. Same old recycled comedy. HIMYM used to be funny and now it's not. Even Always Sunny isn't as funny anymore. The funniest show on tv is Workaholics and I can't think of one that comes close...maybe The League.

Reactions: ISUME

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I enjoy HIMYM, but maybe its because i just got into it and because of how i watched it. Marathoned the whole series this winter after only ever seeing a couple episodes. Some parts get annoying (constantly rehashing ted\robin, the way they absolutely ruined the whole victoria thing) but other than that i enjoy the show and find it funny, and the amount of callbacks can be really good.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I enjoy HIMYM, but maybe its because i just got into it and because of how i watched it. Marathoned the whole series this winter after only ever seeing a couple episodes. Some parts get annoying (constantly rehashing ted\robin, the way they absolutely ruined the whole victoria thing) but other than that i enjoy the show and find it funny, and the amount of callbacks can be really good.

Ya, they should have never brought Victoria back, totally ruined that. Was a good story the first time around, i used to want her to be the mother in the end, but not anymore.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron