How I Met Your Mother

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
So the walking dead isnt the only show AMC's had issues with?

(Disappointing there, considering what he wanted to do with season 2's opener)

Google Mad Men. That show is just now coming back because production was halted because of the rift between AMC and the creators. Basically, AMC has decided it's not going to pay anybody anything and if they don't like it...walk.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, but those characters are just bad, and I just don't find the jokes funny at all.

Besides, they seem to be on a "nerd" level that I've never seen in real life. I know one actual scientist, and he spends his free time brewing beer, listening to Tom Petty albums on vinyl, and running. There just doesn't seem to be anything relatable in that damn show. Sheldon is the single worst character in the history of television.

I do find it kind of funny that in such a PC age so much of America has no qualms about laughing at the guy with Asperger's.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, but those characters are just bad, and I just don't find the jokes funny at all.

Besides, they seem to be on a "nerd" level that I've never seen in real life. I know one actual scientist, and he spends his free time brewing beer, listening to Tom Petty albums on vinyl, and running. There just doesn't seem to be anything relatable in that damn show. Sheldon is the single worst character in the history of television.

Well yeah none of the characters are realistic. Stereotypical, really.

In all fairness, we have just watched the first three seasons on DVD over the past month or so. I haven't seen anything past that and haven't been following them for 5 or 6 human years. :)

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Google Mad Men. That show is just now coming back because production was halted because of the rift between AMC and the creators. Basically, AMC has decided it's not going to pay anybody anything and if they don't like it...walk.

I think it's more like AMC looked at the books and realized that just because a show wins a bunch of Emmy's doesn't mean it leads to the ad dollars needed to support continuing to do it at a high level. This is different than Walking Dead, which I believe is much more successful in the ratings than Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I was about to say that I thought I saw Ted saying (the actor anyway) that this was the last year. Upon further reflection though that might have been Chuck instead. Either way, I've always liked this show but have never been able to watch it that consistently and have probably seen one show all season. I can see though where the entire premise might be pretty thin at this point. Even a couple of years ago the line was starting to get hard to follow although each indivisual episode was amusing enough to make me forget that.

As for whomever doenst like it because gay NPH cant play a womanizing Barney, youre a doof.
Where did I say he CAN"T play him? All I said was for me it doesn't work knowing he's gay. I'm not criticizing his acting ability at all. And for that you have to go straight to name-calling?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think it's more like AMC looked at the books and realized that just because a show wins a bunch of Emmy's doesn't mean it leads to the ad dollars needed to support continuing to do it at a high level. This is different than Walking Dead, which I believe is much more successful in the ratings than Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

Since i mentioned it, i should link what he wanted to do:
Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

He wanted to basically spend the season opener on the fall of Atlanta, all the way down to how that guy ended up in the tank. Couldve been a bad *** episode, and would be worth exploring in the future.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Where did I say he CAN"T play him? All I said was for me it doesn't work knowing he's gay. I'm not criticizing his acting ability at all. And for that you have to go straight to name-calling?

NPH is far from the only gay guy playing straight characters. There are also tons of straight guys playing gay characters. The only time I could really see it taking someone out of the show is if they were supposed to be playing themselves. If we were taking about the Harold & Kumar movies instead of HIMYM you'd have a point.

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
I agree. I stopped watching when Ted opened his own architecture company. I know that Josh Radnor isn't actually an architect, so it just wasn't believable to me.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Now we're in 7, I believe, with no end in site. I think that at some point its really going to be drawn out.

If I'm not mistaken I believe next season is the last season. Ted is supposed to meet the mother at Barneys wedding, presumably at the end of this season. Then next season would detail their relationship and wrap it up.

I think that's how I read it somewhere.

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
anyone else catch the season 8 finale last night?

I was shocked they finally put a face to The Mother.

But of course we still are no where near Ted meeting The Mother

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I'm surprised they actually put a face to her. Great finale though, it'll be interesting to see where things go from here.

There's still speculation that this is yet ANOTHER trick by the writers, and that it's not actually his wife. I don't think that's true though. It'd be different if this was yet another mid-season fling for Ted, but the timing of it leads me to believe that this is the one. Also, they've been hyping up Barney's future wedding for quite a few years now, and when we find out that the implications of said wedding (where Ted eventually meets the mother), it would just be anti-climatic to have all this hype build to nothing. Plus, it's not like there won't be any dramatic tension for the next season if Ted ends up meeting his future wife in an early episode -- you still have Marshall's job offer that he took (that he still hasn't had a chance to tell Lily about yet), you have Ted thinking that Robin is still the love of his life... lots to build on yet.

NotJustMagic

Mar 16, 2009
Central Iowa
anyone else catch the season 8 finale last night?

I was shocked they finally put a face to The Mother.

But of course we still are no where near Ted meeting The Mother

pretty sure next season is the last season, so the it's gotta be some what close, I'm sure there's gona be a twist, deffinately gonna pull a marathon week for the last final episode.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Next season (Season 8) is the last. I still really enjoy the show although earlier seasons were funnier IMO. I don't understand why people are so frustrated not meeting the mother before last night...once we knew it wasn't Robin and was going to be a random person, who cares what the mother looks like or her name is.

My theory before last night was that Ted and Robin get married but end up getting divorced (or Robin dies), Ted remarries and has his kids with another woman. But last night's season finale ended that idea.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
The show has been plain bad for the past couple seasons. I am a bit of a masochist and seeing it through until the end.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron