How confident are you in Paul Rhoads ability to make ISU a winning program

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
Throwing out the first couple years as grace. Out of every 10 years. My take on Rhoads is that he'll have one 10, one 9, one 8, two 7, three 6, one 4 and one 3 win season. My take on anyone that takes the Iowa State job is about the same.

BTW - if this were to be true, it would make him the only coach to achieve that level of success at Iowa State.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Let's put it this way, if Rhoads can't make it work at Iowa State I'm not sure anyone can.

I am still very confident in him and the game that I am watching currently on cyclones.tv is just one reason.

There was a time when a 1-5 record wouldn't even phase me for Iowa State football. The fact that we are worked up means something and it is because of the success he has had. The big, big wins over the past 4 years have NEVER been matched here.

Wilson

Sep 15, 2013
Ok, and you let me know when Rhoads has his SEVENTH season with 1 win or less in conference play. Man those were the days!

And we cracked the top 10 and then fell flat on our face. In fact, how many teams above .500 did we actually beat that year, 2?

I don't have the numbers but I'd bet CPR has already beaten the same number of winning teams that Mac did in his entire career.

We will be lucky to win one conference game this year. This is year five. The difference is Mac had five 7 win or better seasons prior that that clunker, CPR hasn't done that since his first year.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Let me know when a CPR team cracks the top ten or wins 9 games.

We all realize McCarney only won 9 games once in more than 10 years, right? We all also realize that after crackign the top 10, Iowa State got KILLED by a team ranked similar to Baylor (i.e. by 50ish), right?

It seems beyond reason to me why some people think that McCarney was that much better than Rhoads. McCarney never sniffed wins as big as many of Rhoads' wins.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
We will be lucky to win one conference game this year. This is year five. The difference is Mac had five 7 win or better seasons prior that that clunker, CPR hasn't done that since his first year.

Mac had zero conference wins in year 9 as a head coach, FYI.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA

What he is saying is that in 12 years, Dan had zero or or only one conference win 7 times. Think about that. He had ZERO conference wins in his 9th year and only one in his 12th.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
With the 9 game Big 12 schedule.... Im not sure anyone will ever win at Mac's rate here. If anyone is going to do it, it is CPR.

Again, except for the 9 win season, Rhoads has already pretty much matched McCarney's wins.

This is a terrible, awful, no good year. It sucks. But some people on here act like McCarney won 9 games for 10 straight seasons and Rhoads has won no more than 3 games for the past 4 years.

allday4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 25, 2012
Waterloo, IA
Honest question. Will CPR ever win 8-10 games at Iowa State or do we have to be realistic with abilities and realize that 6 wins may be his ceiling? My buddy and I were debating this earlier today and I think someday Rhoads may have a good season where these upsets and passion result in some real momentum for our program and that the upsets against ranked teams aren't just flukes but an actual representation of a good football team.

Yes he will!

Maybe 2015 is my guess, until then I'm just going to try and be realistic and hope to see improvement. However, I will not settle with 3 wins. What bothered me most with his press conference today was when he mentioned, "No Iowa State is not past the blow out losses at this point, referring to OU and Utah in 2010" That really bothers me. No coach should settle for 50+ point losses and ever deem it "acceptable" and he pulled the "This team is young excuse, expect bad losses"

Anyways, just something to ponder. I think he is right for Iowa state but he is going to need to make offensive changes at the end of the year for me to have any confidence. He mentioned today that the offense has been quote "God awful, terrible and that side of the ball is where we need to improve most" but if Messingham isn't gone then how serious is he really with moving us forward in terms of offense?

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
We can tell 4 years in advance. If we continue to bring in the least talented classes in the big 12, tough to expect the coaches to coach them up to finish in the top half of the standings.

Let's pretend we have a top 5 recruiting class for 4 years strsight, where would you expect to finish in the conference? Better than 9th.

Sure we wont finish there every year, 1 out of 4 years we finish 8-4, 1 out of 10 years we sniff a conference title chance. The other years are 6-6 to 3-9.

We wont ever consistently out recruit the south, but we need to not be at the very bottom every single damn year.

Theres a lot of good signs of progress in this program, but there are also a lot of bad ones.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
95% confident Rhoads is the right guy to get us there (who knows what are ceiling truly is but I believe it is much better than 6). Before the season I was 99.99% confident. If we are as bad next year as this year and messingham is still coordinator that confidence will drop dramatically.

Wilson

Sep 15, 2013
Again, except for the 9 win season, Rhoads has already pretty much matched McCarney's wins.

This is a terrible, awful, no good year. It sucks. But some people on here act like McCarney won 9 games for 10 straight seasons and Rhoads has won no more than 3 games for the past 4 years.

Nobodies acting like that. Some people are correctly realizing that if you fired Mac for not making "the next level" then you have to ask yourself how long does CPR get for being at BEST equal to that level.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Nobodies acting like that. Some people are correctly realizing that if you fired Mac for not making "the next level" then you have to ask yourself how long does CPR get for being at BEST equal to that level.

Well... Mac got 12 years. CPR is in his fifth and has already bested Mac in all measurable categories through four years... this fifth year still has yet to fully unfold. That gives CPR 7 more... right?

Wilson

Sep 15, 2013
Well... Mac got 12 years. CPR is in his fifth and has already bested Mac in all measurable categories through four years... this fifth year still has yet to fully unfold. That gives CPR 7 more... right?

Holy ****. He hasn't bested Mac in ANY measurable categories of importance. You have to go creating spreadsheets of **** nobody gives a **** about to even say he's equal.

your avatar is perfect for you btw.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
So, are these the new two themes that have to keep coming up?
1. We love Mac. CPR is somehow no Mac, so he has to go, because Mac had to go.
2. The Liberty Bowl was bad, and we should never forget that it was bad.

Is that pretty much the loop that we're cycling through right now?

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
So, are these the new two themes that have to keep coming up?
1. We love Mac. CPR is somehow no Mac, so he has to go, because Mac had to go.
2. The Liberty Bowl was bad, and we should never forget that it was bad.

Is that pretty much the loop that we're cycling through right now?

I think you have to put a 'year five' in all caps in there somewhere...maybe a 2a or something.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
So, are these the new two themes that have to keep coming up? 1. We love Mac. CPR is somehow no Mac, so he has to go, because Mac had to go. 2. The Liberty Bowl was bad, and we should never forget that it was bad. Is that pretty much the loop that we're cycling through right now?
Don't forget "if Rhoads can't win here, nobody will." I would pick over half the Big 12 coaches over Rhoads.

Last edited:

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Holy ****. He hasn't bested Mac in ANY measurable categories of importance. You have to go creating spreadsheets of **** nobody gives a **** about to even say he's equal.

your avatar is perfect for you btw.

Look, Dan, why are you so ******? You landed on your feet. And you even got another head coaching gig. It wasn't going well and a change was needed. You did some great things at ISU - 9 wins, bowl win, breaking Iowa streak. And cyclone nation appreciates it. But its time to give it a rest and move on, Dan.