How confident are you in Paul Rhoads ability to make ISU a winning program

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I guess you also missed the article from Michigan players where they admitted to partying into the night before the game and the numerous starters and players who were smoking weed before the game. They were joking that they could be high and hungover and still beat Appalachian State and decided to do it just to see. Give credit to Appalachian State but if you line them up against Michigan 10 times that year, Michigan beats them 9/10. Just saying

Yeah, that article was written by a guy who was found to be a fraud and a liar, quite frankly. He made up other stories as well. His name was Ace Williams and he has pretty much disappeared, thought to be an alias of another blogger and not actually a person. I'm not saying those things didn't happen before that game but the part about being stoned the night before, in the team hotel is likely ********. I don't think coaches let that slip under their nose.

DrShekelstein

Jul 30, 2013
No one can make Iowa State a winning program. We can't compete in recruiting and resources in the Big 12. No highly touted Texas or Alabama high school football player will want to come to Ames, Iowa when they can play for a team that is closer to home, with more prestige, more fans, and a better record than the Cyclones.

As long as we continue to recruit players that no other division 1 football program wants, we will never move forward. As long as we have poor coaches like Mess we will also never have a winning program. Our kids on this football team has always play like they don't care about winning.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
No one can make Iowa State a winning program. We can't compete in recruiting and resources in the Big 12. No highly touted Texas or Alabama high school football player will want to come to Ames, Iowa when they can play for a team that is closer to home, with more prestige, more fans, and a better record than the Cyclones.

As long as we continue to recruit players that no other division 1 football program wants, we will never move forward. As long as we have poor coaches like Mess we will also never have a winning program. Our kids on this football team has always play like they don't care about winning.

That's a bunch of ********. I can stand the criticizing of Mess (Hell, I'll join in) but that's an accusation that is a cheap shot, not to mention wrong. Go tell Jake Knott he didn't care about winning. Go tell George that. Go tell the guys with ****ed up knees they don't care. That's just a ********, ignorant statement.

Also, how many of the 2013 and 2014 recruits have no other division one offers? About zero. Simply saying division one shows ignorance.

And yes, I know you're a troll. At least be a believable good troll and develop some skill.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Mac was 56-85 overall and 27-68 in conference. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and take away his first three years (which were 6-27 and 3-21), he was 50-58 overall and 24-47 in conference.

Compare that to Rhoads who is 25-32 and 12-25. Very similar numbers assuming you remove Mac's 3 worst years.

I also count three games that Mac won over teams that were ranked at the time - Nebraska in 2002, Iowa and Colorado in 2005.

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
I also count three games that Mac won over teams that were ranked at the time - Nebraska in 2002, Iowa and Colorado in 2005.

This. Also, if we're arbitrarily removing games from a coaches record, I'd like to remove all losses from CPR record. Turns out Rhoads is 25-0 and 12-0 in conference play since he got here.

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
I guess you also missed the article from Michigan players where they admitted to partying into the night before the game and the numerous starters and players who were smoking weed before the game. They were joking that they could be high and hungover and still beat Appalachian State and decided to do it just to see. Give credit to Appalachian State but if you line them up against Michigan 10 times that year, Michigan beats them 9/10. Just saying

But your original point was that talent wouldn't EVER lose to an FCS school. Doing so once in ten tries isn't never. Just saying.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

Thanks for putting Nebbie and eiu in your post it makes me feel somewhat better about our chances versus Okie State,

just remembering that sometimes WE can pull a Huge Upset is a comfort on a cold morning.

Lets Go State its beyond time to win a conference game.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
That's a bunch of ********. Also, how many of the 2013 and 2014 recruits have no other division one offers? About 20%, unless you're talking about BCS AQ schools, then it is close to half, as many of our guys carry strong offers from the likes of McNeese State, Texas State and Florida Atlantic. Simply saying division one shows ignorance.

FIFY

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
What are we defining as a winning program? Going to a bowl game every year, getting 8 wins, going to a BCS bowl game? Whatever level he reaches, we as fans are just going to expect more out of him and expect him to take us to the next level. I dont think we should settle or not expect better things for our program but at the same time we need to be somewhat reasonable about our expectations.

Personally I think CPR is the right guy for ISU. I don't see who else we could even get that would want to be here as much as CPR does. The high profile coaches aren't going to see ISU as the most attractive job and usually better offers will be on the table. CPR wants to be here and wants to win. I will echo the fact that he needs to step up and pull the trigger on decisions with his staff when needed though.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
What are we defining as a winning program? Going to a bowl game every year, getting 8 wins, going to a BCS bowl game? Whatever level he reaches, we as fans are just going to expect more out of him and expect him to take us to the next level. I dont think we should settle or not expect better things for our program but at the same time we need to be somewhat reasonable about our expectations.

Personally I think CPR is the right guy for ISU. I don't see who else we could even get that would want to be here as much as CPR does. The high profile coaches aren't going to see ISU as the most attractive job and usually better offers will be on the table. CPR wants to be here and wants to win. I will echo the fact that he needs to step up and pull the trigger on decisions with his staff when needed though.

I think we could be Mizzou under Pinkel. They have won 7 games or more since 2001. 3 10+ win seasons since 2001. 4 seasons of 5 of less wins.

I think the goal should be 7 or more wins each year. Now that won't happen, most coaches have down years because of various reasons. Injuries, graduation of great players, etc. But I don't think regular above .500 play is impossible.

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
I would agree that I dont think its out of the realm of possibilities to be a consistant .500 year in and out. I dont even think its out of reach to reach a BCS bowl at some point. I hate to use them as an example but the Hoks have had some very successful teams and made it to BCS bowls in the past. So if they can pull the recruits in the location they are at why can't we? I'm not on the "fire Rhoads" wagon as of now. Down years will happen and we aren't going to be able to reload on talent as consistantly as some of the other schools in conference. Hope to see a glimmer of hope in tomorrows game for the future but going to be tough with as young and banged up our team is.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I think we could be Mizzou under Pinkel. They have won 7 games or more since 2001. 3 10+ win seasons since 2001. 4 seasons of 5 of less wins.

I think the goal should be 7 or more wins each year. Now that won't happen, most coaches have down years because of various reasons. Injuries, graduation of great players, etc. But I don't think regular above .500 play is impossible.

A good goal. But remember, Mizzou is the lone BCS program in their state. A state that produces more FBS signees than does the state of Iowa. So it should be easier there. But still a good goal.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron