How big are the Drake and UNI loses now?

creightonclone

Mar 3, 2008
Without these 2 loses we would be 19-4. We would be ranked for sure and probably only 1 or 2 games away from making the tournament. We also would not really have any bad losses on our profile. Texas would be the worst. We still have a chance to make the tourney but had we won these 2 games we would for sure and could have a chance at being a higher seed. I dont think they are as bad of loses as I originally thought cause we bounced back but they still hurt!

Drake hurts, UNI doesn't. If ISU and UNI played again, UNI would have a very good chance of winning again.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
It doesn't matter. We just have to show up and play quality basketball from here on out and we can win our way into the tournament and even a conference championship.

This thread shouldn't show up until we're left out of the tournament.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I don't think some of you realize if we don't have those losses, we don't have growing pains that we need to pull out some of the close wins we've had.

Reactions: djcubby

M6WS6

Jan 24, 2011
Ames, IA
It doesn't matter. We just have to show up and play quality basketball from here on out and we can win our way into the tournament and even a conference championship.

This thread shouldn't show up until we're left out of the tournament.

Nailed it

creightonclone

Mar 3, 2008
Think about it for a minute. Why would creightonclone make a prediction like that?
:spinny::v_SPIN::spinny::v_SPIN::spinny::v_SPIN:

Here's a geography lesson, smart guy... Creighton is my hometown. It's a small town in Northeast Nebraska.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Without these 2 loses we would be 19-4. We would be ranked for sure and probably only 1 or 2 games away from making the tournament. We also would not really have any bad losses on our profile. Texas would be the worst. We still have a chance to make the tourney but had we won these 2 games we would for sure and could have a chance at being a higher seed. I dont think they are as bad of loses as I originally thought cause we bounced back but they still hurt!

We would be Top 15 team at 19-4 most likely. At least Top 20. Hurts our seeding definitely. Oh well, we've won our share of close ones in the Big 12 since then.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Here's a geography lesson, smart guy... Creighton is my hometown. It's a small town in Northeast Nebraska.

Fair enough. Sorry if I offended.

I guess I'm not sure how I should know that since it doesn't appear on your profile. I'm sure I am not the first one to mistake the creighton in you handle for the school.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
9 wins in conference was never going to be enough to get to the tournament, regardless of non-conference schedule, and 8 would probably put us on the NIT bubble. If I recall, neither team has a sub-100 RPI, so they are not *bad* losses, just not good ones. 4 more wins before the Big 12 tournament guarantees us a spot, 3 should get us close. If losses to Drake and UNI are what it took to get this team to focus and play hard (a la Colorado in 2000-2001), then I've got no complaints.

There are lots of ways to define "bad losses" The biggest way is what the media and the pannel says is a bad loss. Just because Real-time RPI doesn't put a ? next to it doesn't mean it isn't a bad loss. Drake is most definately a bad loss in a great many respects. Even in many respects UNI is a bad loss.

Putting an arbitrary number like rpi 100 and saying its not a bad loss is over simplifying. For the record. the only quanitative line for bad losses, is RPI 150 and above. But there isn't really an adjustment for a single loss to even an RPI 250 team. The true penalty only comes into effect when more than 50% of your games are played against RPI 150 and worse.

Otherwise from committee member to committee member, each decides what is a bad loss. Most are going to consider Both of those games suspect, and Drake is almost definately a bad loss in anyone's eyes.

That being said. Both are pretty much neutralized by the one win over KU, and 1 win over MU would have blown the whole combo of these two losses AND the michigan loss completely out of the water. None of those wins are more important that either the KU or the MU games. I'd take those two losses any day of the week if it means an additional win against one of the top 3. There is some reaosning, that those losses made us tough enought to take down KU and maybe another in MU or BU. And I agree to an extent. Make that trade any day. And twice on Saturday.

Last edited:

LegendofRodA

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2011
Des Moines
If only we didn't lose those 6 games, we could be #1 in the country right now!!!:rolleyes:

This thread is almost pointless except for the fact that I don't think these losses are as bad as some think. There are over 300 teams in Div 1 bball and these 2 teams are better than at least 2/3 of the field.

Could be worse, we could have lost to Campbell.

Sorry couldn't help myself. :wink:

clonestar12

May 16, 2006
Texas
9 wins in conference was never going to be enough to get to the tournament, regardless of non-conference schedule, and 8 would probably put us on the NIT bubble. If I recall, neither team has a sub-100 RPI, so they are not *bad* losses, just not good ones. 4 more wins before the Big 12 tournament guarantees us a spot, 3 should get us close. If losses to Drake and UNI are what it took to get this team to focus and play hard (a la Colorado in 2000-2001), then I've got no complaints.

Not only do I think that 9 conference wins would get us into the dance, I believe that 6 teams from the B12 will get in. The Pac10 is horrible this year, and I believe the B10 is overrated. Mizzou, KU, and Baylor, are all elite teams and underscore the strength of the B12. IMO, only upsets in conference tourneys which allow team s into the dance that would not normally get an at-large invite, will prevent the B12 from getting 6. ISU will be in, and I predict a top 7 seed.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Fair enough. Sorry if I offended.

I guess I'm not sure how I should know that since it doesn't appear on your profile. I'm sure I am not the first one to mistake the creighton in you handle for the school.

Anyone in the world would have assumed a school connection as opposed to a town connection. Frankly, I didn't know there was such a town.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I don't think they hurt at all. We've grown and people are noticing. No hurt at all.

Amen, someone gets it. Everyone has bad losses. Nobody cares about games pre-Thanksgiving. Basketball is not like Football, each game is not the same level of importance. Confernce games are what matters.

Those losses are not totally meaningless, but they are pretty close.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Amen, someone gets it. Everyone has bad losses. Nobody cares about games pre-Thanksgiving. Basketball is not like Football, each game is not the same level of importance. Confernce games are what matters.

Those losses are not totally meaningless, but they are pretty close.

Not to mention that because of the transfers nobody is surprised at all about some of the early season growing pains. I think they are surprised that they weren't even worse.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I will take this thread and turn it around 180

How big are the Kansas and Kansas State wins now?

Discuss!

Help Support Us

Become a patron