How bad are athlete's parents?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by simply1, Dec 13, 2019.

1. isufbcurt

isufbcurt Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Male
    CPA
    Newton
    Ratings:
    +18,838 / 856 / -12
    In my opinion the kid does. I told my parents if they ever acted out at games they'd never be invited to watch me play again. Now I know at my High School games I didn't have much say, but once I got to college and could not give then my free tickets I had some pull. Luckily my parents understood my point and followed my rules and didn't act a fool like some of my teammates parents.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. heitclone

heitclone Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Male
    Recreation Therapist
    Way up there
    Ratings:
    +5,640 / 191 / -4
    #42 heitclone, Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    It's probably honestly worse at small schools, family names and wealth carry more weight in some of these communities.

These situations are always terrible but it just seems worse when the coach has been successful. A lot of parents don't appreciate all the great things their kids can learn from being part of a successful team and program, they only see benefit from their kid playing. Not to take anything away from this coach or her players but realistically, not many girls from Mt Ayr are going on to play big time vball after high school. The smaller colleges that these girls may get opportunities from often weigh coming from a winning program and proving you can be a part of successful team ahead of individual stats anyway. This all ignores how high school sports are taking a backseat to club sports.

The worst part about these type of parents is that their own kids and their peers are the ones hurt by coaches like this leaving the profession.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. jcisuclones

jcisuclones Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Male
    Morgantown, WV
    Ratings:
    +1,861 / 225 / -73
    In a lot of cases, if a parent is known for constantly berating a coach or official, their own kid is not going to stand up to them to tell them to stop in fear of being yelled at.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Cy$

Cy$ Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Being an a-hole
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +4,602 / 168 / -6
    Yamanashi's parents' give you ****?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Cyclone.TV

Cyclone.TV Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Ratings:
    +2,393 / 231 / -54
    We are talking about high school, and a kid shouldn't be put in that situation.

6. isufbcurt

isufbcurt Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Male
    CPA
    Newton
    Ratings:
    +18,838 / 856 / -12
    I understand that, but like I said I laid out those rules in High School for my parents.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BuffettClone

BuffettClone Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1,070 / 21 / -0
    #47 BuffettClone, Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    A couple points based on my understanding of wrestling. The first is they do coed wrestling all through high school in many places if there are girl wrestlers as there typically aren't enough girls wrestling to have only girls wrestle girls. Second, the ref counting off in a near pin situation is to reward back points if the opponent does not actually get pinned. The shoulder blades both need to be in contact with the mat for only a second to produce a pin. This isn't like the WWE where they need to slap the mat 3 times to get a pin.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. cyfanatic13

cyfanatic13 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Male
    Ratings:
    +4,127 / 93 / -5
    Very thankful for having the parents I did growing up. I never complained about basketball playing time cause I knew I wasn’t good, but complained once about thinking I should be getting more playing time in baseball. Dad simply said “well what is ******** to me gonna do about it?” and I never complained again

• Like Like x 3
  9. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Ratings:
    +19,018 / 292 / -4
    Actually fall of 2018 we had a player yell, "Shut up!" at her Mom during a game. Mom was pissed. She got up and started pacing because, "I don't let anyone talk to me that way." Mom was at it again later in the game and her daughter "accidentally" drilled a ball that had crossed the touch line right at her head during the game. The other parents did a really poor job of hiding our laughter.

Mom and Grandma were both D1 athletes back in their days. This girl actually has a chance to play college ball, maybe not D1.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. harimad

harimad Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Female
    IT Systems Architect
    Illinois
    Ratings:
    +9,364 / 351 / -1
    It's actually quite easy. You just have to be the adult in the room.

As an example, my daughter plays travel softball. In the last year we've gone to Huntington Beach, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Crown Point, Peoria, St. Louis, Kansas City, etc. for nationals, qualifiers, and exposure tournaments. (Patrick freaking Murphy watched one of her games earlier this fall!!)

Organizations set the standard for how parents will behave. If they set expectations properly, the relationship exists between players and coaches. Parents are there to cheer for the girls only. Well, and drop them off/pick them up (before they can drive themselves).

Organizations that don't set expectations stand out like a sore thumb. Parents are wandering in and out of dugout, coaches are on edge, it's a charlie foxtrot. And I can guarantee that those coaches are receiving emails/texts from those parents left and right, ******** about playing time and God knows what else.

I've seen both. I'm quite happy to be part of one of the good orgs.

• Like Like x 2
  11. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Ratings:
    +7,235 / 495 / -6
    If people put away the money they were spending on these sports into a 529 it wouldn't be an issue.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. harimad

harimad Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Female
    IT Systems Architect
    Illinois
    Ratings:
    +9,364 / 351 / -1
    In my daughter’s sport, it isn’t generally the girls that get cut. It’s their insufferable parents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Ratings:
    +19,018 / 292 / -4
    Anyone who has their kids in sports for a scholarship is a fool. They are probably out there, but I think that people who start their kids in sports for that purpose are very few and very far between. More likely that the ones who get all caught up in getting a scholarship got there long after their kid had been playing the sport for quite a while.

14. KnappShack

KnappShack Well-Known Member

May 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    Ratings:
    +9,193 / 310 / -11
    I can confirm from my wrestling career that you do not get a chance for a kick out at 2....

And the lights in most gyms are quite bright

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. AgronAlum

AgronAlum Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Ratings:
    +3,219 / 98 / -3
    Had two dads stepping all over the coaches toes at my son’s city league basketball practice. Trying to tell the kids to do stuff that defies what coach was trying to do. All over the court shuffling kids. They’re in second ******* grade. Volunteer coach was doing a great job and came prepared.

Parents are the worst.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. SpokaneCY

SpokaneCY Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Manager of Natural Gas
    Spokane, WA
    Ratings:
    +7,274 / 399 / -19
    Letting a rogue parent ruin a team experience for all the other kids is not how it should work.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Ratings:
    +19,018 / 292 / -4
    It is amazing to me the number of parents who don't take the time to learn the rules of their kids' sport(s). I had to mansplain to the mom of one of the girls on my daughter's soccer team what was and wasn't offsides because she was loudly complaining about missed OS calls. Her daughter has been playing traveling soccer for at least 5 years if not longer. She thought if the offensive player was behind the defensive player when the ball passed the defender it was offside. I had to explain that offsides is a snapshot of where the players are when the pass is initiated (ie. the ball is kicked). I understand that it is a difficult rule to understand at first, but how do you watch your kid play for 5 plus years and not bother to learn the rule? Don't get me started on the second to last defender. Parents are always saying there can be no offsides when a defender is emergency covering the goal when a keeper gets beat and is out of position. That's why it is second to last defender - generally the last defender is the keeper, but not always.

18. jcisuclones

jcisuclones Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Male
    Morgantown, WV
    Ratings:
    +1,861 / 225 / -73
    But what about the drama and backstories? That's got to exist, right??

19. SpokaneCY

SpokaneCY Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Manager of Natural Gas
    Spokane, WA
    Ratings:
    +7,274 / 399 / -19
    I feel kinda bad... My parents used to flip a coin to see who HAD to go to my games...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Macloney

Macloney Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    1 mile from the phog
    Ratings:
    +3,305 / 329 / -8
    You should have told your parents not to dance at games.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3