Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Wow, I didn't even expect to see it that bad at a small school. It was really bad when I was in high school at Waukee, but yeah this has gotten out of hand nationwide. I mean good for parents for thinking highly of their kids, but kids should know that if they aren't good enough, then they won't start. Just like in the real world, if you're not good enough for a job, you shouldn't be awarded the job because your mom emailed the recruiter.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Wow, I didn't even expect to see it that bad at a small school. It was really bad when I was in high school at Waukee, but yeah this has gotten out of hand nationwide. I mean good for parents for thinking highly of their kids, but kids should know that if they aren't good enough, then they won't start. Just like in the real world, if you're not good enough for a job, you shouldn't be awarded the job because your mom emailed the recruiter.
what years were you at Waukee?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Every parent these days thinks their kid is an all-star who will get a D1 scholarship.
This is hyperbole at its finest. There are too many parents that have an inflated perception of their kids athletic prowess, but there are just as many or more who are just glad that Jimmy or Jane are just getting a chance to play a sport they enjoy.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I watched my cousin's son wrestle (and he is... 11? 12?) a few weekends ago.

He wrestled a girl (and I guess they do coed at that age). Pinned her. Had her dead to rights, shoulders and mid-back on the mat, and the ref called it.

Thing was... the ref did not count it off. I am no expert when it comes to wrestling, but it is my understanding that is a courtesy but not required/expected by an official.

The girl's mom lost it. Chewed out the ref for 15 minutes.

When he eventually stopped responding, she went to the announcer and the organizer of the tournament. Kept on chewing and chewing and chewing... like having a few seconds of count would have helped when she was screwed anyways.

I sneaked by and heard a snippet of the exchange...

Organizer... "She's 11, how much does this really matter to the outcome of her life?"
Woman... "If it was your child, you would understand!"

It was around then she finally gave up. They never claimed their second-place award.

What about youth sports makes people go a little crazy?

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
circumstance i heard about-

girls bb coach who coached for close to 25 years was forced to resign b/c superintendents kid didn't play. supers wife started a petition to get him fired/to resign.

great coach. that program wont see near the wins/conf titles it had under him for a long time

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I watched my cousin's son wrestle (and he is... 11? 12?) a few weekends ago.

He wrestled a girl (and I guess they do coed at that age). Pinned her. Had her dead to rights, shoulders and mid-back on the mat, and the ref called it.

Thing was... the ref did not count it off. I am no expert when it comes to wrestling, but it is my understanding that is a courtesy but not required/expected by an official.

The girl's mom lost it. Chewed out the ref for 15 minutes.

When he eventually stopped responding, she went to the announcer and the organizer of the tournament. Kept on chewing and chewing and chewing... like having a few seconds of count would have helped when she was screwed anyways.

I sneaked by and heard a snippet of the exchange...

Organizer... "She's 11, how much does this really matter to the outcome of her life?"
Woman... "If it was your child, you would understand!"

It was around then she finally gave up. They never claimed their second-place award.

What about youth sports makes people go a little crazy?

what is it about all sports that make people go crazy?

we've got a days worth of posts about how terrible the Iowa state coaches are and how bad the players are. And everyone is sure they don’t care about winning.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Part of it is financial. Some of these parents are pumping in tons and tons of money and not seeing the results that they 'deserve'. It's bizarre.

I'm perfectly okay with my daughter wanting absolutely nothing to do with sports.

• Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump and cyputz

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This brings up an interesting point. Every once in a while a situation will be brought up on here about a transgendered kid wanting to participate in sports with their identified gender. I’ve argued with many of you that it is just high school sports so who gives a ****? I’ve been told that it is a huge deal and they should not be allowed to compete. A bit hypocritical.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I was reading about how being in relationships with altruistic people isn't preferable, because those people tend not to put you and themselves ahead of others. So these parents are adhering to some moral code that is constrained by a rule that their offspring comes first. I guess it makes some sense.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Bad, watch "Trophy Kids" sometime.

I was out fishing one night by a little league park and saw two idiots get into it after their 8 year olds game. Funny thing is I dont know if the guy that got attacked even had anything to do with the baseball game. He was flying a drone and the baseball guy came over and smashed his controller, his drone went flying into the lake.

I assumed they had some sort of dispute before this but who really knows these days. People are crazy, he could have been upset over the little league game and decided to take it out on some random guy.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron