How bad are athlete's parents?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Right, but the kid somehow has control over what the parent does? That's not how it works.

In my opinion the kid does. I told my parents if they ever acted out at games they'd never be invited to watch me play again. Now I know at my High School games I didn't have much say, but once I got to college and could not give then my free tickets I had some pull. Luckily my parents understood my point and followed my rules and didn't act a fool like some of my teammates parents.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Wow, I didn't even expect to see it that bad at a small school. It was really bad when I was in high school at Waukee, but yeah this has gotten out of hand nationwide. I mean good for parents for thinking highly of their kids, but kids should know that if they aren't good enough, then they won't start. Just like in the real world, if you're not good enough for a job, you shouldn't be awarded the job because your mom emailed the recruiter.

It's probably honestly worse at small schools, family names and wealth carry more weight in some of these communities.

These situations are always terrible but it just seems worse when the coach has been successful. A lot of parents don't appreciate all the great things their kids can learn from being part of a successful team and program, they only see benefit from their kid playing. Not to take anything away from this coach or her players but realistically, not many girls from Mt Ayr are going on to play big time vball after high school. The smaller colleges that these girls may get opportunities from often weigh coming from a winning program and proving you can be a part of successful team ahead of individual stats anyway. This all ignores how high school sports are taking a backseat to club sports.

The worst part about these type of parents is that their own kids and their peers are the ones hurt by coaches like this leaving the profession.

Last edited:

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
In my opinion the kid does. I told my parents if they ever acted out at games they'd never be invited to watch me play again. Now I know at my High School games I didn't have much say, but once I got to college and could not give then my free tickets I had some pull. Luckily my parents understood my point and followed my rules and didn't act a fool like some of my teammates parents.
In a lot of cases, if a parent is known for constantly berating a coach or official, their own kid is not going to stand up to them to tell them to stop in fear of being yelled at.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
circumstance i heard about-

girls bb coach who coached for close to 25 years was forced to resign b/c superintendents kid didn't play. supers wife started a petition to get him fired/to resign.

great coach. that program wont see near the wins/conf titles it had under him for a long time
Yamanashi's parents' give you ****?

• Funny
Reactions: CoachHines3

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016

We are talking about high school, and a kid shouldn't be put in that situation.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I watched my cousin's son wrestle (and he is... 11? 12?) a few weekends ago.

He wrestled a girl (and I guess they do coed at that age). Pinned her. Had her dead to rights, shoulders and mid-back on the mat, and the ref called it.

Thing was... the ref did not count it off. I am no expert when it comes to wrestling, but it is my understanding that is a courtesy but not required/expected by an official.

The girl's mom lost it. Chewed out the ref for 15 minutes.

When he eventually stopped responding, she went to the announcer and the organizer of the tournament. Kept on chewing and chewing and chewing... like having a few seconds of count would have helped when she was screwed anyways.

I sneaked by and heard a snippet of the exchange...

Organizer... "She's 11, how much does this really matter to the outcome of her life?"
Woman... "If it was your child, you would understand!"

It was around then she finally gave up. They never claimed their second-place award.

What about youth sports makes people go a little crazy?

A couple points based on my understanding of wrestling. The first is they do coed wrestling all through high school in many places if there are girl wrestlers as there typically aren't enough girls wrestling to have only girls wrestle girls. Second, the ref counting off in a near pin situation is to reward back points if the opponent does not actually get pinned. The shoulder blades both need to be in contact with the mat for only a second to produce a pin. This isn't like the WWE where they need to slap the mat 3 times to get a pin.

Last edited:

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Very thankful for having the parents I did growing up. I never complained about basketball playing time cause I knew I wasn’t good, but complained once about thinking I should be getting more playing time in baseball. Dad simply said “well what is ******** to me gonna do about it?” and I never complained again

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
In a lot of cases, if a parent is known for constantly berating a coach or official, their own kid is not going to stand up to them to tell them to stop in fear of being yelled at.
Actually fall of 2018 we had a player yell, "Shut up!" at her Mom during a game. Mom was pissed. She got up and started pacing because, "I don't let anyone talk to me that way." Mom was at it again later in the game and her daughter "accidentally" drilled a ball that had crossed the touch line right at her head during the game. The other parents did a really poor job of hiding our laughter.

Mom and Grandma were both D1 athletes back in their days. This girl actually has a chance to play college ball, maybe not D1.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
i wish you could...our society doesn't allow it. parents get to say and do nearly whatever they want...you make it sound so easy.
It's actually quite easy. You just have to be the adult in the room.

As an example, my daughter plays travel softball. In the last year we've gone to Huntington Beach, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Crown Point, Peoria, St. Louis, Kansas City, etc. for nationals, qualifiers, and exposure tournaments. (Patrick freaking Murphy watched one of her games earlier this fall!!)

Organizations set the standard for how parents will behave. If they set expectations properly, the relationship exists between players and coaches. Parents are there to cheer for the girls only. Well, and drop them off/pick them up (before they can drive themselves).

Organizations that don't set expectations stand out like a sore thumb. Parents are wandering in and out of dugout, coaches are on edge, it's a charlie foxtrot. And I can guarantee that those coaches are receiving emails/texts from those parents left and right, ******** about playing time and God knows what else.

I've seen both. I'm quite happy to be part of one of the good orgs.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
My daughter plays a club sport and our club puts out criteria for kids and how they make different level teams. The criteria include such things as skill and effort but also includes how good of a teammate they are and attendance at practices and games. The part that applies here though is the attitude of parents. I think it is generally a non-factor unless you are a parent whose behavior is detrimental to the team. It doesn't really matter if a parent is grumbling about Jimmy or Jane's playing time as long as they aren't doing it on the sideline or where their kid hears it. If they are calling/emailing/confronting coaches or raving on the sidelines it is a problem and should be dealt with. I have spoken to a coach before (when I wasn't coaching myself, that is) about my kid's playing time. But it wasn't about asking for playing time, but rather asking what the coach thought the player needed to improve. Generally as they get just a little bit older we expect them to have those conversations with the coaches themselves.

The short answer is that in this environment if a coach was getting 22 emails a day from a parent the kid would be sitting for the entire next game with just a single email sent to the parent letting them know why. "Parent, you are a distraction to the entire team and your player is paying the price for your unacceptable behavior, please adjust this behavior immediately because we would really like your player to be available for his/her teammates.

In my daughter’s sport, it isn’t generally the girls that get cut. It’s their insufferable parents.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If people put away the money they were spending on these sports into a 529 it wouldn't be an issue.
Anyone who has their kids in sports for a scholarship is a fool. They are probably out there, but I think that people who start their kids in sports for that purpose are very few and very far between. More likely that the ones who get all caught up in getting a scholarship got there long after their kid had been playing the sport for quite a while.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
A couple points based on my understanding of wrestling. The first is they do coed wrestling all through high school in many places if there are girl wrestlers as there typically aren't enough girls wrestling to have only girls wrestle girls. Second, the ref counting off in a near pin situation is to reward back points if the opponent does not actually get pinned. The shoulder blades both need to be in contact with the mat for only a second to produce a pin. This isn't like the WWE where they need to slap the mat 3 times to get a pin.

I can confirm from my wrestling career that you do not get a chance for a kick out at 2....

And the lights in most gyms are quite bright

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Had two dads stepping all over the coaches toes at my son’s city league basketball practice. Trying to tell the kids to do stuff that defies what coach was trying to do. All over the court shuffling kids. They’re in second ******* grade. Volunteer coach was doing a great job and came prepared.

Parents are the worst.

• Informative
Reactions: FarminCy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It is amazing to me the number of parents who don't take the time to learn the rules of their kids' sport(s). I had to mansplain to the mom of one of the girls on my daughter's soccer team what was and wasn't offsides because she was loudly complaining about missed OS calls. Her daughter has been playing traveling soccer for at least 5 years if not longer. She thought if the offensive player was behind the defensive player when the ball passed the defender it was offside. I had to explain that offsides is a snapshot of where the players are when the pass is initiated (ie. the ball is kicked). I understand that it is a difficult rule to understand at first, but how do you watch your kid play for 5 plus years and not bother to learn the rule? Don't get me started on the second to last defender. Parents are always saying there can be no offsides when a defender is emergency covering the goal when a keeper gets beat and is out of position. That's why it is second to last defender - generally the last defender is the keeper, but not always.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Had two dads stepping all over the coaches toes at my son’s city league basketball practice. Trying to tell the kids to do stuff that defies what coach was trying to do. All over the court shuffling kids. They’re in second ******* grade. Volunteer coach was doing a great job and came prepared.

Parents are the worst.

I feel kinda bad... My parents used to flip a coin to see who HAD to go to my games...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron