Hoiberg Watch 2015: Sunday, May 31 Open Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iheartcy

Dec 5, 2012
I had gotten over Hoiberg taking the Bulls job. I can support him either way as that being a once in a lifetime opportunity and not being able to say anything to Jamie or anyone else until after it was official. But... with the Pelicans and Orlando interview leaks, it seems more like he'd already decided to leave, it was just a matter of where. If that's the case, I don't feel he handled this as well as he could of, and don't think this was a decision made after the decision.

I'll still support him... but It will be a little harder to get to that point than it was before.

iheartcy

Dec 5, 2012
Totally get it's his "dream" to coach in the NBA but he hurt ISU recruiting and our program in the process for at least the last month if not longer if the rumors are true. He handled this wrong for ISU and great for himself. Not sure he can spin it any other way.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
Don't let the door hit you. The more we learn about the last year, the more it is clear thar Fred used JP and ISU. No one else would have taken the chance on him. He presented this grand plan for ISU and his love for Ames. If was all BS and the easiest path to the NBA. He is not the stand up golden boy we thought he was. Instead, just another person that is willing to use people for their personal gain, with no regard for who they hurt or the failout they leave behind.

This bridge is burned to the ground.

sweetiecy

Sep 24, 2009
Ankeny
I thought at the time that the Bubu thing would lead to his leaving....I got the feeling from his comments and demeanor at the time that he was very angry about that.

Not the actual situation (not having Bubu on the team)....he was being "micromanaged" by someone(s). Frankly, I don't give a rip who it was...he outranks all of the possible players in stature, even if not in bureaucratic hierarchy.

It should have been his decision, but it was obvious that it was not, IMO.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
The reactions of those upset are past funny, but just plain naive and selfish. We always knew Fred wanted to coach in the NBA. We. Always. Knew.

It wouldn't matter what year he left, it would be sad. But remember where he took us from, and to where he is leaving us. I'm happy he coached at ISU and proved he could do it and giddy what he did for ISU on the national scene. Jamie made a great call in giving him a chance.

serverguy

Apr 11, 2006
I thought at the time that the Bubu thing would lead to his leaving....I got the feeling from his comments and demeanor at the time that he was very angry about that.

Not the actual situation (not having Bubu on the team)....he was being "micromanaged" by someone(s). Frankly, I don't give a rip who it was...he outranks all of the possible players in stature, even if not in bureaucratic hierarchy.

It should have been his decision, but it was obvious that it was not, IMO.

If he does not like to be "micromanaged" he is going to the wrong organization.

serverguy

Apr 11, 2006
The reactions of those upset are past funny, but just plain naive and selfish. We always knew Fred wanted to coach in the NBA. We. Always. Knew.

It wouldn't matter what year he left, it would be sad. But remember where he took us from, and to where he is leaving us. I'm happy he coached at ISU and proved he could do it and giddy what he did for ISU on the national scene. Jamie made a great call in giving him a chance.

Timing is way off. If you can't see that then I am not sure what to say. NBA jobs are a dime a dozen. Just look at all the opening this year and there will probably be more next year. If you really loved the university you would try and do something special next year that has never been done before at ISU.

sweetiecy

Sep 24, 2009
Ankeny
I understand what you mean there...but he has known those guys for awhile. I don't know "who" it was...but I think someone truly ****** him off; enough to leave.

serverguy

Apr 11, 2006
I understand what you mean there...but he has known those guys for awhile. I don't know "who" it was...but I think someone truly ****** him off; enough to leave.

You can learn allot about a person by watching their actions and not their words. There have only been a few people that have said they love ISU and have stuck around over the past several years. If you truly love the place you claim you stick around. You work through issues.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
You can learn allot about a person by watching their actions and not their words. There have only been a few people that have said they love ISU and have stuck around over the past several years. If you truly love the place you claim you stick around. You work through issues.

this.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012

Agree with all of that. My only concern is where Jamie chooses to go from here.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Well...Fred's got until Tuesday or Wednesday to COME TO HIS FREAKING SENSES and get his cheatin'*** back to Ames where he belongs...

serverguy

Apr 11, 2006
The commitment Fennelly has shown the the University is amazing. One of the few people that have backed up the "easy" sayings that flow out of coach's mouths in today's world.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
There aren't that many coaches who would even consider Iowa State to be a "destination job." I thought Hoiberg was one. Now, hoping Otz is one. Doubt if Hornacek is, but maybe he could be an intermediate if JP doesn't think Otz is quite ready.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
The commitment Fennelly has shown the the University is amazing. One of the few people that have backed up the "easy" sayings that flow out of coach's mouths in today's world.
He definitely puts the loyal in loyal sons forever true.

Status
Not open for further replies.