Hoiberg Watch 2015: Sunday, May 31 Open Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I thought at the time that the Bubu thing would lead to his leaving....I got the feeling from his comments and demeanor at the time that he was very angry about that.

Not the actual situation (not having Bubu on the team)....he was being "micromanaged" by someone(s). Frankly, I don't give a rip who it was...he outranks all of the possible players in stature, even if not in bureaucratic hierarchy.

It should have been his decision, but it was obvious that it was not, IMO.

Garpax won't be better

ericlambi

Mar 24, 2006
Yeah, probably But still. Orlando.

I don't even think a fake interview is worth going there.

He probably just wanted a free trip to Orlando so he could take a ride on the Hogwarts Express at Universal. I heard he's a huge Harry Potter fan.

ericlambi

Mar 24, 2006
Why do so many of you believe that Otz would treat this as his destination job? The guy left two years ago for a backwards/lateral move. If he is promoted (I hope not!) and has success, odds suggest he would move on to something else. Even Cael Sanderson left. Similarly, I don't understand why you all presume Hornacek would be here for just a brief while. If it turns out he prefers coaching college, he doesn't seem that likely to leave for another college job to me. Of course, if it turns out after coaching in college that he prefers the NBA (or simply gets an amount of money that we can't match to go back to the NBA), so be it. It probably means he did a great job while he was here if he leaves.

Along the same lines, do you really want a first year head coach running next year's team? What are the odds that a brand new head coach doesn't cost the team a few close games over the course of a season? Do you really want to gamble next year's team on that?

CaliJack

May 18, 2015
Colombia, SA
The reactions of those upset are past funny, but just plain naive and selfish. We always knew Fred wanted to coach in the NBA. We. Always. Knew.

It wouldn't matter what year he left, it would be sad. But remember where he took us from, and to where he is leaving us. I'm happy he coached at ISU and proved he could do it and giddy what he did for ISU on the national scene. Jamie made a great call in giving him a chance.

You missed the point. People are upset because he didn't do his job this past couple of months. Recruiting stopped. Just about everyone knew ISU had a lame duck coach. Recruits knew it, transfers knew it. He didn't want to say anything to the local media but he sure seemed to talk with multiple people in the NBA.

According to NBC he has had a 5 year, 25 million dollar contract for awhile with the Bulls. Fans have a right to be upset in the way he handled this. The Chicago press won't be lapdogs when things don't go right next season.

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Hoiberg followed professional protocol over this time. He was upfront with his recruits and I'm sure Jamie and staff were informed of his intentions. He has always taken interviews every offseason- this is not new. Chicago is a premier coaching job regardless of management and roster. 5 year/25 million, no way one turns that down- that puts him in the top quarter of NBA coaches salary.

Lets all thank Fred for making our program nationally relevant- that sure as heck out weights the 1 year of poor recruiting. Plus look at the returning roster, we wouldn't have added that much too help. It's really the ideal time for him to go and keep ISU in good shape.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I'm shocked this thread evolved into a debate over the merits of TJ as HC. Shocked.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
The reactions of those upset are past funny, but just plain naive and selfish. We always knew Fred wanted to coach in the NBA. We. Always. Knew.

It wouldn't matter what year he left, it would be sad. But remember where he took us from, and to where he is leaving us. I'm happy he coached at ISU and proved he could do it and giddy what he did for ISU on the national scene. Jamie made a great call in giving him a chance.

You are missing the point. It is not that he is leaving this year (or any), but how. Fred is still a great ISU success story and has given ISU fans more than all but a few, but it is fair to be disappointed in how this affinity for the NBA has been handled IMO.

No wonder Otz left a couple years ago. It has got to be tough working your *** off recruiting for the only head coach that will not give your targets any type of assurance. Being forthright is not exactly recruiting, and if what you can tell recruits while maintaining integrity is so low, is there integrity in doing that job while also apparently interviewing for NBA gigs?

With the very low NBA buyout and Fred's NBA background we all knew he would make the jump at some point. This wasn't a jump, but more of a constipated window-shopping stroll

Last edited:

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
The commitment Fennelly has shown the the University is amazing. One of the few people that have backed up the "easy" sayings that flow out of coach's mouths in today's world.

Fennelly is the real "Mayor" in Ames. He is the guy that really loves Ames and it shows with his commitment to ISU. Fred is a fraud and while his camp has been in spin mode trying to look good saying how tough this decision is to leave Ames he has been out whoring around with every NBA franchise with a job opening. A true class act Fred is... We've all been Hoiberged.

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009

Hoiberg followed professional protocol over this time. He was upfront with his recruits and I'm sure Jamie and staff were informed of his intentions. He has always taken interviews every offseason- this is not new. Chicago is a premier coaching job regardless of management and roster. 5 year/25 million, no way one turns that down- that puts him in the top quarter of NBA coaches salary.

Lets all thank Fred for making our program nationally relevant- that sure as heck out weights the 1 year of poor recruiting. Plus look at the returning roster, we wouldn't have added that much too help. It's really the ideal time for him to go and keep ISU in good shape.

I agree with these two posts completely. Thank you for posting them. It's really crazy to me how much people are bashing Fred over all of this. So many ungrateful spoiled brat fans on this site.

Reactions: LindenCy

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids

Keep thinking that cause for you it will ease the pain when he bolts to the Bulls. But most of CF knows no that he's just like all the other coaches in this sport. They are only in it for themselves.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
You missed the point. People are upset because he didn't do his job this past couple of months. Recruiting stopped. Just about everyone knew ISU had a lame duck coach. Recruits knew it, transfers knew it. He didn't want to say anything to the local media but he sure seemed to talk with multiple people in the NBA.

According to NBC he has had a 5 year, 25 million dollar contract for awhile with the Bulls. Fans have a right to be upset in the way he handled this. The Chicago press won't be lapdogs when things don't go right next season.

The Hoiberg camp denied there was a deal in place... it's been in place since prior to Thibs being fired. Who is shocked that the Hoiberg camp is spinning this situation with lies to try and save face? Not me. I have lost all respect for Fred and can't wait for him to GTFO.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The Hoiberg camp denied there was a deal in place... it's been in place since prior to Thibs being fired. Who is shocked that the Hoiberg camp is spinning this situation with lies to try and save face? Not me. I have lost all respect for Fred and can't wait for him to GTFO.
Do you understand how any of this works? (That was rhetorical, it's obvious you don't.) Do you honestly think Fred had the option to tell the public that he had a deal in place, if that's actually true, before Thibs was even fired?

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
If Fred owed ISU anything, he already paid it by playing four great years of college basketball and building one of the most talented MBB rosters ISU has ever seen. If chasing your NBA coaching dream is wrong, then he was never a fit for Iowa State in the first place.

The butthurt amongst some of you people is ludicrous.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Do you understand how any of this works? (That was rhetorical, it's obvious you don't.) Do you honestly think Fred had the option to tell the public that he had a deal in place, if that's actually true, before Thibs was even fired?

No, but he certainly didn't need to be ISU's coach during that time. Let ISU MBB move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.