High Cholesterol

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Alcohol intake can impact as well. What does your sleep and stress look like? Exercise is a big one but definitely don't have to go crazy there. Walks and enjoying that new bike are great!
Stress has dropped 10 fold since retirement :)

I think with diagnosis and now doing relaxing projects etc, i have a great outlook going forward.

And hearing so many great stories and information helps put my mind at ease.

Cyclone family always there with support it's greatly appreciated everyone ❤️

h-man64

Oct 18, 2006
West Des Moines
More food for thought...from Alberta, Canada:

Number of people who will have a heart attack or stroke in the next 10 years by risk level*

Risk of heart attack or strokeWith statinsWithout statins
Low risk2 out of 1003 out of 100
Moderate risk8 out of 10010 out of 100
High risk15 out of 10020 out of 100
* These numbers are estimates based on research studies. The quality of the evidence is high.footnote2, footnote3

Evidence shows that statins may lower the chance of having a heart attack or stroke, especially for people who are at high risk.

Take a group of 100 people with a low risk of heart attack or stroke. Here are their chances of having one in the next 10 years:

• If they don't take statins, about 3 out of 100 will have a heart attack or stroke. This means that about 97 out of 100 won't.
  • If they do take statins, about 2 out of 100 will have a heart attack or stroke. This means that about 98 out of 100 won't.

This is good stuff and I was vaguely aware. My cholesterol is pretty good on Rosuvastatin (40 mg. Dr. upped the dose after an failed stress test. Passed my heart ultrasound, so the stress test was likely a false positive.), I am almost postive that that the statin was causing achy joints and muscles. I thought it was being 59 and working out a lot. Stopped taking the statin and feel much better. I am meeting my cardiologist tomorrow, so I ask him if I can lower my dose or stay off statins. I am willing to have a little more risk if I can feel better.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Genetics, statins, exercise are the big take aways. I had a heart attack 6 months ago. My dad had 4 , brother had 2, and little brother has stents. I tried many alternatives - nothing changed the cholesterol needle until I went on statins. I do fasting every few months to repair my liver. my cariologist said there is some heart health benefit , but he doesn't want to go through the ordeal himself - 2 other MDs I know do it. alcohol is a no-no. It raises my blood pressure, makes me tired, and screws up my liver and metabolism. Exercise along with red beet power help make me feel younger and fresher. I mix red beet power with metamucil to improve the nasty flavor and further reduce cholesterol. latest problem is my hips, knees, and ankles have arthritis , so it is challenging to stay fit. I take condroitin - glucosamine for the achey joints. Another issue is sleepiness - I need about 10 hours of sleep with all the meds I take - statins, amlodapine, and plavix.

Reactions: fsanford

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
My grandpa was thin, ate healthy, walked every day and had very high blood pressure and high cholesterol. It would not surprise me if I'm on cholesterol and bp meds for the rest of my life, but I'm making changes to see if I can reduce or completely get off of both.

I've been able to reduce my numbers in the past with just exercise and I talked my doctor into going off the statin I was on. Fast forward a few years - inactive, gained weight.

In January my lipid numbers were high again and I was put on rosuvastatin (aka Crestor). I've been working with a dietician and weight management physician since November. I wouldn't say I eat perfectly, but my portions are smaller, I'm more conscious of what I'm eating and eat more fish/chicken. (For the record, my dietician says eggs are fine!) I have also started exercising regularly, averaging 4-5 days a week for an hour. I walk on the treadmill either 30 or 60 minutes and do 30 minutes of lifting weights on the days I walk 30 minutes.

My doctor did another lipid profile in April - by that time I had also lost 12 pounds. I was extremely happy with the results and my weight loss doctor has suggested I discuss lowering the statin dose with my GP.

Total Cholesterol:
Jan 365
Apr 134
Triglycerides:
Jan 383
Apr 111
HDL:
Jan 45
Apr 46
VLDL
Jan 77
Apr 20
LOL
Jan 243
Apr 68
Chol/HDL Ratio:
Jan 8.11
Apr 2.9
Those changes are impressive. Very impressive considering the short period of time, congrats.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
This is good stuff and I was vaguely aware. My cholesterol is pretty good on Rosuvastatin (40 mg. Dr. upped the dose after an failed stress test. Passed my heart ultrasound, so the stress test was likely a false positive.), I am almost postive that that the statin was causing achy joints and muscles. I thought it was being 59 and working out a lot. Stopped taking the statin and feel much better. I am meeting my cardiologist tomorrow, so I ask him if I can lower my dose or stay off statins. I am willing to have a little more risk if I can feel better.
This source says stains reduce the risk of heart attack or stroke by 25%, which to me is more than a little extra risk. And to not just stop taking them without consult. There are lots of other free internet sources also, if you choose to rely upon them instead of the paid advice of your physicians.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011

I'm quite sure the ads for the cholesterol drugs always say that it won't prevent heart attack or stroke. Maybe they're covering their bases or maybe they're just in it for the money.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but you can always refuse to take a drug.

For example, I had a bout with esophageal spasms about 10 years ago. The doc prescribed nitroglycerin since the esophagus is not a striated muscle, so the regular relaxants that you can take for a bad back don't work. I asked him if I had to take it forever. He said, "Yes, if you don't want any more spasms." Guess what. I don't take the drug, and I have never had another bout of spasms.

Go figure.

CychedClones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 20, 2022
Has anyone tried the supplement Red Yeast Rice to drive down their bad cholesterol numbers? I’m concerned about going on a statin and thought I’d try a natural alternative first. My cardiologist said “I’ll give you 6 months to try it, but if you don’t improve I’m prescribing the statin”.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
There are lots of other free internet sources also, if you choose to rely upon them instead of the paid advice of your physicians.

Let's not start about all the pregnant women in the 50's who were prescribed thalidomide for morning sickness. By physicians who were paid for their advice. Medical history is replete with stories of problems caused by drugs prescribed by physicians who were paid for their advice.

In other words, people need to do their research from accredited and credible sources. Not all physicians are good ones, but they all get paid.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I was put in statins almost a year ago. Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure to go with it. I quit eating out, quit drinking, quit eating sugar, cut my sugar intake to below 30 grams a day. I am down roughly 60 pounds and have maybe another 60 to go. (For reference, I am down 120 pounds from my highest)

my blood work from a couple of weeks ago came back and my doctor told me my LDL was too low! So he cut my dosage in half.

my goal is to get off of all meds. Don’t underestimate exercise and healthy habits.

you got this! Best of luck to you!

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
No Dr here and do your own research. Unfortunately once on the drugs hard to get off. Check your diet, seems like lots of ways to help control it.

Intermittent fasting
Lion diet
Keto

Are some that I have heard work. But again do your own thing.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I've had high cholesterol for 20 years. Take my meds, eat whatever in moderation, splurge once in a while, get plenty of exercise. Still here, I'm 52. My dad has it also, he turned 75 a couple weeks ago. Let's go!

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
My dads mom died at 51 years old, heart attack in a dentist chair.
My dad died at 44. I had double by pass at 56. I had an angiogram to see what my heart looked like. When I woke up the doctor said it was a good thing I did that. He said I would have been just like my dad. I would be dead by the time I hit the ground. I was 95% blocked, the widow maker, as it is called. I had my surgery a week later. I take meds every day for high blood pressure, now it is ok. Cholesterol, now under 200. My hdl was low and my ldl was high, they are ok now. Triglycerides are better.
There have been lots of excellent info passed on here. Bad fats, are good to stay away from. But I love bacon and red meat. Shell fish is bad. Any cooking oil that is white is bad. Cooking oil from palm and coconut have BAD properties, so leave them out. Read the label on the package, they tell you what is bad. Now, with all of the great advice from all the people here, only you decide what happens. Look at your loved ones, think what happens if you are gone? Sorry to be a SOB.

Reactions: VeloClone

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I'm quite sure the ads for the cholesterol drugs always say that it won't prevent heart attack or stroke. Maybe they're covering their bases or maybe they're just in it for the money.
There are so many things that can cause heart attacks or strokes, and any given drug can only reduce the likelihood of one or two of those causes. If they said it "prevents heart attack and/or stroke" they'd be opening themselves to a bunch of stupid lawsuits.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Diagnosed with high cholesterol. Was told to go on a statin. Didn't want to take pills my whole life so went on life style changes to control it. Ate better, exercised regularly. Lost 10lbs in 60 days. Got my blood tested and it was literally the same level as before. Went on Simvastatin. Don't really watch what I eat other than the amount. Cholesterol dropped to 195 with a cholesterol/HDL ratio of 2.4. Cardiologist said I was to healthy to see him anymore.

Reactions: bawbie and h-man64

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I just got put on a statin even though my bloodwork is all normal. But I have AFib, and so I have a cardiologist. This past March I didn't feel quite right so I reached out to my cardiologist. I had a stress test, which was perfect. Wore a Holter Monitor for 2 weeks. I had 2 short v-tachs. And then a CT calcium score. My pulmonary artery was 33. So he put me on a statin, very low dose and Metropolol, low dose and half a pill. My BP was always great, but over the last couple of years it's been 115/83. Since the drugs my BP is where it used to be, 115/74. I had to quit drinking like I liked to do because of the AFib attacks the next day or that night after binging.

My dad's dad died in his 60s from a heart attack. But my dad is 85 and healthy. His mom died at 103. My mom had double bypass, then died from ovarian cancer. Her dad died young of some cancer. But her mom died at 94 after breaking her hip. I guess I'm like Jeremy, you just don't know. I was suspicious of taking 2 new drugs when I'm not a huge risk. But I feel better and early results are good. Aging sucks, that's all there is to it. But we have great drugs and doctors doing their best to help.

Reactions: CRcyclone6

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I was put in statins almost a year ago. Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure to go with it. I quit eating out, quit drinking, quit eating sugar, cut my sugar intake to below 30 grams a day. I am down roughly 60 pounds and have maybe another 60 to go. (For reference, I am down 120 pounds from my highest)

my blood work from a couple of weeks ago came back and my doctor told me my LDL was too low! So he cut my dosage in half.

my goal is to get off of all meds. Don’t underestimate exercise and healthy habits.

you got this! Best of luck to you!

Even if this doesn't work to cut down on something like cholesterol, there's literally emotional and mental benefits to it and there's nothing wrong with someone taking care of themselves.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Okay was diagnosed with high Cholesterol 242 So getting some meds, but curious how some who have this have changed their diet.

I guess lots of fish for me, etc

Both the good HDL and bad LDL were high.

water, beets, grilled chicken, blue berries. nothing else.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Okay was diagnosed with high Cholesterol 242 So getting some meds, but curious how some who have this have changed their diet.

I guess lots of fish for me, etc

Both the good HDL and bad LDL were high.
My doctor says my Cholesterol is 174 and tells me it's not high, yet is always insisting that I go on medication for it because of other medical indications. I, however, have refused to indulge his whims. If it's not high, I'm not taking yet another drug. You already have me on 7 prescriptions. I don't need another one.

I have always eaten more chicken than any other meat, don't care for french fries, don't like white bread and eat lots of whole grain breads. I eat lots of fruits and vegetables and was eating cereal for breakfast with high oats content and other good grains when I was working. I rarely eat eggs or bacon, and if I do, it's for supper, like tonight. If I don't have high cholesterol at age 69, I doubt it will become a problem later on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron