High Cholesterol

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Okay was diagnosed with high Cholesterol 242 So getting some meds, but curious how some who have this have changed their diet.

I guess lots of fish for me, etc

Both the good HDL and bad LDL were high.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I'm of the belief that we're going to die one way or another, likely from something we don't expect, so do what you can but still live your life. And this from a highly depressed, bipolar 2, ADHD, MDD, OCD, and anxiety sufferer with high blood pressure, a history of 3 strokes (2 this year), and high cholesterol.

If you like fish, it's obviously highly recommended. But then there are studies that say the microplastics and whatnot they're finding in fish will be the next big epidemic so then what?

Point is that you're going to die one way or another. If you can do something you enjoy to help, absolutely do it. But if it takes you out of being who you are or doing what you like, is it really worth it? Everybody will have a different opinion, but keep being you.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Are you otherwise healthy? Is your diet generally good? Do you exercise? If yes to all, I'd ask some questions.

I feel like I've heard a growing amount of chatter about the effectiveness of statins and if high cholesterol is really that bad.

My wife and I live a nearly identical lifestyle and her cholesterol is about 80-100 points higher than mine. And honestly, my genetically low cholesterol family history has far more heart problems than her genetically high cholesterol family. There's no one-size fits all.

*Note: I get my medical training from podcasts.....

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Okay was diagnosed with high Cholesterol 242 So getting some meds, but curious how some who have this have changed their diet.

I eat almost no sugar and try to eat fewer white flour and processed foods in general. Fish is good but I still eat meat. I've been on statins for several years and the cholesterol is down to acceptable levels.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018

I’ve been on a statin and another drug to lower my triglycerides. Only side effect was enlarged penis whenever the Hoks get a beat down.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm of the belief that we're going to die one way or another, likely from something we don't expect, so do what you can but still live your life. And this from a highly depressed, bipolar 2, ADHD, MDD, OCD, and anxiety sufferer with high blood pressure, a history of 3 strokes (2 this year), and high cholesterol.

If you like fish, it's obviously highly recommended. But then there are studies that say the microplastics and whatnot they're finding in fish will be the next big epidemic so then what?

Point is that you're going to die one way or another. If you can do something you enjoy to help, absolutely do it. But if it takes you out of being who you are or doing what you like, is it really worth it? Everybody will have a different opinion, but keep being you.
That's definitely some kind of advice.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I have been taking Zocor (now the generic) since it first came out I am guessing 1995 or so. 5'8" 202.
Triglycerides - MMC99 mg/dL0 - 150 mg/dL
Cholesterol - MMC186 mg/dL100 - 199 mg/dL
HDL Cholesterol - MMC58 mg/dL35 - 55 mg/dL
LDL Cholesterol - MMC119 mg/dL0 - 130 mg/dL
Triglyceride/Cholesterol Ratio - MMC0.5 ratioratio
Cholesterol/HDL Ratio - MMC3.2 ratioratio
Everyone is different. I watch my carbs and dont eat sweets or packaged anything except for chips now and then. I eat ice cream almost every night. Like beer. Don't watch meat or fat intake. Take lisinopril for BP. 120/80 I am over 60. I am blessed for what I have. I am a believer that genetics is a huge factor. My sister is 5'6" and 105 and very careful with her diet Triglycerides are through the roof 220 plus. My youngest son 6'5" and 190, he is 27 and has had two heart ablations for afib. My other son has lost 165s pound over the last 12 months. Down to 245. My point is, we are all individuals. Good luck.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Are you otherwise healthy? Is your diet generally good? Do you exercise? If yes to all, I'd ask some questions.

I feel like I've heard a growing amount of chatter about the effectiveness of statins and if high cholesterol is really that bad.

My wife and I live a nearly identical lifestyle and her cholesterol is about 80-100 points higher than mine. And honestly, my genetically low cholesterol family history has far more heart problems than her genetically high cholesterol family. There's no one-size fits all.

*Note: I get my medical training from podcasts.....
All the other blood work came back great. 5'6" 158 pounds.

Blood pressure fine etc.

I want to still enjoy things in life, so like with everything perhaps I need moderation. Burgers once a week instead of 3 times

I have cut back on fast food not that I had it all the time. But I probably liked raising cane's too much. :)

Reactions: BoxsterCy

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
It's basically meat and dairy. Fish and other seafood along with pork/chicken/turkey/white meats have less saturated fat, which is what correlates with LDL cholesterol. Eggs are good too. Red meats like beef, venison etc. have more saturated fat. Lots of milk products are higher in saturated fat - butter, cheese, cream. Veggie oils like olive and canola and avocado are better choices for cooking/frying/sautéing. They are still fats, but they are mostly mono or poly unsaturated which does not increase LDL and can increase HDL.

It's not about eliminating anything, but making better choices more often. You can still eat steaks and burgers and butter. Just try replacing one of those per week with a chicken breast or tuna/tilapia. Even buying leaner cuts of red meats can help.

The more processed something is, generally the more fat it contains. For example, jerky, summer sausage and deer sticks have fat added for flavor and texture. So even if it's made from a "good" protein, the more it's processed before it gets to you the more likely it is to have high saturated fat (and sodium).

Fruits and veggies don't contain any fats, but as mentioned the fiber can help move things along before as much fat gets absorbed.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
All the other blood work came back great. 5'6" 158 pounds.

Blood pressure fine etc.

I want to still enjoy things in life, so like with everything perhaps I need moderation. Burgers once a week instead of 3 times

I have cut back on fast food not that I had it all the time. But I probably liked raising cane's too much. :)

But do you do any form of exercise? Walk, bike swim, jog, etc. My tryglycerides are at 182 (high) and my LDL is 108 (high), VLDL is 36.4 (high) and my HDL (good chlosterol) is 42. My cholesterol is 186. 6'' 2" and down to 215 was at 229 in January. My A1C is like 113 so doc was more concerned about that. My lipids have always been on the higher side. I've cut way back on sugar, ride about 80 miles on a bike a week. Cut back on fried foods and cut way back on bread and carbs. Sugar free stuff and more veggies. I have a retest in July so we'll see how that goes.

On blood pressure meds. Just 5mg of Amlodipine Besylate (doc says this is the lowest dosage) . Have an OMRON cuff and I take my BP ever couple of days. Just took it and was 129/78 with heart rate of 56. BP before meds sometimes was like 200/100. Exercise was the key!!

Last edited:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
It's basically meat and dairy. Fish and other seafood along with pork/chicken/turkey/white meats have less saturated fat, which is what correlates with LDL cholesterol. Eggs are good too. Red meats like beef, venison etc. have more saturated fat. Lots of milk products are higher in saturated fat - butter, cheese, cream. Veggie oils like olive and canola and avocado are better choices for cooking/frying/sautéing. They are still fats, but they are mostly mono or poly unsaturated which does not increase LDL and can increase HDL.

It's not about eliminating anything, but making better choices more often. You can still eat steaks and burgers and butter. Just try replacing one of those per week with a chicken breast or tuna/tilapia. Even buying leaner cuts of red meats can help.

The more processed something is, generally the more fat it contains. For example, jerky, summer sausage and deer sticks have fat added for flavor and texture. So even if it's made from a "good" protein, the more it's processed before it gets to you the more likely it is to have high saturated fat (and sodium).

Fruits and veggies don't contain any fats, but as mentioned the fiber can help move things along before as much fat gets absorbed.
So the 5 nights I had brisket last week followed by 2 nights of steak followed by 3 nights of tri-tip is probably not the best schedule to follow? If I had Canes for lunch one of those days to add chicken, does that offset things?:)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Increasing fiber intake (fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, and nuts are all high fiber foods) is proven to lower cholesterol, and it seems to promote overall health in a variety of ways. Win-win.
I started mixing a heaping teaspoon of soliable fiber with my coffee in the morning. Don’t taste it and it does help your A1C. I had severe lactose intolerance also, it’s now just bad. I can handle some basic dairy products (not straight milk still) so it has helped more ways than one.

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
In personal experience was told I could try dietary changes, but not to be discouraged if it wasn't successful because dietary changes alone generally weren't unless just barely over. And that statins work quite well with few if any side effects. That proved to be the case.

There are other good reasons to pursue a reasonably healthy diet. But for cholesterol, take the statins.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
While I always inappropriately joke in these threads (probably a coping/defense mechanism to my unhealthy ways), the advice and suggestions people give are always incredibly fulfilling to see.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er and cyputz

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
My mother had very high cholesterol. My dad had normal. Same menu, activity level, etc. i always said it was genetics

Great grandmother was 99. Doctor wanted her to change her diet because her numbers had been creeping higher. She was NOT giving up her morning eggs and bacon

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
But do you do any form of exercise? Walk, bike swim, jog, etc.
Before I retired, no. But i retired recently like 3 months ago. Have started to walk more and bought a new bike. So will add that to the mix.

Also the retired thing will also help adjust my diet more time to prepare food at home and less take out