High Cholesterol

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Alcohol intake can impact as well. What does your sleep and stress look like? Exercise is a big one but definitely don't have to go crazy there. Walks and enjoying that new bike are great!

Reactions: fsanford

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Find fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains that you enjoy eating and increase the amount of those you eat on a daily/weekly basis. I have more of a mindset of increasing things in your diet that will help versus trying to eliminate things. If you’re eating more of the above 4 groups of foods you’ll naturally start consuming less meat, dairy, and oils.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Made me look at labs from last fall, total cholesterol was 137. Will be interesting to see where it is the end of the summer for next annual. It was sort of high, not really high high on the total, 190's I think but with family history I ended up taking a statin. Can't remember which of the "cholesterols" was high, just remember it was one you couldn't impact much with exercise/eats. Not sure what brought the total down so drastically. I eat more salmon and chicken any man ever seen and don't eat fast food at all the last few years. Think breakfast of hardboiled egg, raisin bread toast, peanut butter and bananas is likely a lot better than breakfast sweets at work before I retired.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
In personal experience was told I could try dietary changes, but not to be discouraged if it wasn't successful because dietary changes alone generally weren't unless just barely over. And that statins work quite well with few if any side effects. That proved to be the case.

There are other good reasons to pursue a reasonably healthy diet. But for cholesterol, take the statins.

This is true. It is also true that statins are very effective at lowering your cholesterol. Whether this extends your life/quality of life is open to debate. Not a lot of downside to taking a low dose statin, though.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
All the other blood work came back great. 5'6" 158 pounds.

Blood pressure fine etc.

I want to still enjoy things in life, so like with everything perhaps I need moderation. Burgers once a week instead of 3 times

I have cut back on fast food not that I had it all the time. But I probably liked raising cane's too much. :)

Do you exercise regularly? If not, I would definitely try that before jumping on a pill to try and improve this single variable.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
This is true. It is also true that statins are very effective at lowering your cholesterol. Whether this extends your life/quality of life is open to debate. Not a lot of downside to taking a low dose statin, though.
My doctor told me that the two greatest things for heart health over the past 30 years are stents and statins. I have one stent and I take a daily atorvastatin.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I think there is a genetic component. I have never had a cholesterol issue and my brothers have garbage diets and don’t either.

My husband’s doctor put him on a statin, and he was subjected to my war on processed foods. Doctor wound up taking him off the statin after about a year. Husband’s weakness is chips but he has to get them elsewhere now other than special occasions.

We were eating salmon weekly before the price skyrocketed. This time of year we usually catch some bluegill and eat that at least once a week. Eat more white chicken meat than pork or beef. Will have one meatless meal a week, usually a soup.

We do eat a lot of walnuts and almonds, as well as frozen berries. Also add ground flaxseed or chia seeds to lots of things where they aren’t noticeable. We consume a lot of oats and yogurt as well. I add fresh spinach to soups and casseroles when cooking. Use olive oil for salad dressing but cook with avocado oil as it is easier to control the temperature. Have always only drank skim milk as I just don’t like much fat in my milk.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
In personal experience was told I could try dietary changes, but not to be discouraged if it wasn't successful because dietary changes alone generally weren't unless just barely over. And that statins work quite well with few if any side effects. That proved to be the case.

There are other good reasons to pursue a reasonably healthy diet. But for cholesterol, take the statins.
This.
My grandfather "had a bad heart." Diagnosed early 1960s. Died from heart issues.
My father had cholesterol issues - and a heart attack at 60. Bypass surgery at 63.
I was diagnosed with high cholesterol. Did diet 100% by the book and it came down some, but not far enough to meet guidelines. So was put on Statins at age 40 +/-. Been on since then. Approaching age 68 and no heart attack issues with me. (Though AFIB diagnosed last fall).

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My bad cholestorol is at a tolerable level but my good cholesterol is low so that brings it overall into the not good zone. I take fish oil and get anchovies on my Punch margherita pizzas.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Genetics is everything.... especially as you age. I'm late 50s and exercise 4x a week. I finally was put on a statin... after 90 days my numbers were awesome! They were not terrible to start, but they are excellent now. I have always been a healthy eater and I used to compete in Men's physique shows. My mom had high cholesterol so that is where I got it from.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
My doctor told me that the two greatest things for heart health over the past 30 years are stents and statins. I have one stent and I take a daily atorvastatin.
I heard a prominent cardiologist say on Charlie Rose a few years ago that if you are on the good side of all the following: blood pressure, cholesterol, girth, exercise, smoking, and blood sugar your chances of having a heart attack or stroke are almost nil.

Cholesterol used to be the one miss for me. Now it's blood pressure.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
All the other blood work came back great. 5'6" 158 pounds.

Blood pressure fine etc.

I want to still enjoy things in life, so like with everything perhaps I need moderation. Burgers once a week instead of 3 times

I have cut back on fast food not that I had it all the time. But I probably liked raising cane's too much. :)
There is a significant genetic component involved. I was diagnosed about 6 years ago. I hate taking medication so I asked the doc to give me 6 months to show I could drop it.

I ate near perfect (low fat, high fiber), exercised (got to where I now run Marathons). I went from 240 to 120 for LDL, raised HDL from 30-40. But that was all still outside margins. Asked for another 6 months and he just said, sometimes you need help.

Took one of the statins for 4 years and then my liver rebelled against it. Now doing shots of Repatha every 2 weeks (self administered) and Nexlotol. Numbers are perfect. Asking the doc to see what happens if I come off them and he just said it ain't going to happen.

I still eat smart most of the time but I have lots of fun food too and don't even think twice about the drugs - no side affects.

Brother-in-law has a new heart from a near fatal heart attack, so I'll take this option ;)

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I think there is a genetic component. I have never had a cholesterol issue and my brothers have garbage diets and don’t either.
10000000% this. Genetics play a huge role. I don't eat great but generally eat fairly healthy, no pop and rarely candy, ice cream etc. I am on a statin in part due to hereditary high cholesterol and blood pressure. My dad had at least one heart attack at 42 and then a second double bypass 8ish years later. Grandma died from an aneurysm in her early 70s and her brother died from a massive heart attack in his 40s.

Compare that with my wife and her father who can eat whatever junk they want, drink Lord knows how much pop and still lose weight and have good labs. Sometimes life just isn't fair.

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
My grandpa was thin, ate healthy, walked every day and had very high blood pressure and high cholesterol. It would not surprise me if I'm on cholesterol and bp meds for the rest of my life, but I'm making changes to see if I can reduce or completely get off of both.

I've been able to reduce my numbers in the past with just exercise and I talked my doctor into going off the statin I was on. Fast forward a few years - inactive, gained weight.

In January my lipid numbers were high again and I was put on rosuvastatin (aka Crestor). I've been working with a dietician and weight management physician since November. I wouldn't say I eat perfectly, but my portions are smaller, I'm more conscious of what I'm eating and eat more fish/chicken. (For the record, my dietician says eggs are fine!) I have also started exercising regularly, averaging 4-5 days a week for an hour. I walk on the treadmill either 30 or 60 minutes and do 30 minutes of lifting weights on the days I walk 30 minutes.

My doctor did another lipid profile in April - by that time I had also lost 12 pounds. I was extremely happy with the results and my weight loss doctor has suggested I discuss lowering the statin dose with my GP.

Total Cholesterol:
Jan 365
Apr 134
Triglycerides:
Jan 383
Apr 111
HDL:
Jan 45
Apr 46
VLDL
Jan 77
Apr 20
LOL
Jan 243
Apr 68
Chol/HDL Ratio:
Jan 8.11
Apr 2.9

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
More food for thought...from Alberta, Canada:

Number of people who will have a heart attack or stroke in the next 10 years by risk level*

Risk of heart attack or strokeWith statinsWithout statins
Low risk2 out of 1003 out of 100
Moderate risk8 out of 10010 out of 100
High risk15 out of 10020 out of 100
* These numbers are estimates based on research studies. The quality of the evidence is high.footnote2, footnote3

Evidence shows that statins may lower the chance of having a heart attack or stroke, especially for people who are at high risk.

Take a group of 100 people with a low risk of heart attack or stroke. Here are their chances of having one in the next 10 years:

• If they don't take statins, about 3 out of 100 will have a heart attack or stroke. This means that about 97 out of 100 won't.
  • If they do take statins, about 2 out of 100 will have a heart attack or stroke. This means that about 98 out of 100 won't.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron