Grading ISU's Offense So Far

AllN4Cy

Sep 9, 2010
Grimes
Offense
QB Grade: C-
This year was supposed to be Arnaud's year. He's had time to learn and absorb Tom Herman's offensive scheme and has two full years of experience. He still doesn't seems comfortable with the offense however. Austen has 2 TDs to 5 picks on the year, and is completing under 60% of his throws which is worse than 2009. His legs have provided some first downs in designed QB runs and scramble situations, but his arm and decision making are not where they need to be for this offense to have any success.

Line: B
The line seems to be gelling fairly well. Against Iowa, possibly the best defensive front in football, they looked suspect, but Iowa will make many teams look that way this year. The running game is averaging over 4.5 yards per carry (not including QB rushing stats), and haven't given up many sacks.

RB: C+
ARob was listed on some pre-season watch lists, but that seems like a long shot at this point. His 65 yeard TD run against Northern Illinois was exciting and nice to see, but otherwise he hasn't been able to break anything open. We'll need ARob to run lights out to have any chance of becoming bowl eligible. It would also be nice to see Shontrelle Johnson and Jeff Woody get some additional carries in relief.

WR: C
This position was highly anticipated before the season with the return of several key receivers from injury. ISU has playmakers and speed. They need to catch the ball! ISU does not have a good enough QB to overcome dropped balls. If a ball is thrown anywhere near the receiver, it needs to be caught. Missing passes that turn into pick-6s isn't acceptible. Still I can't mark them down too far as I think much of the blame lies on the passer. It is nice to see the ball getting spread fairly evenly around to the receivers - this should help keep defenses guessing.

TE: A
This seems to be the brightest spot on offense. Collin Franklin is averaging roughly 50 yards and 5 catches per game, which leads the entire receiving corps.

Overall: C The offense was supposed to be the strength of this year's team with a senior QB, talented running backs and receivers, and a big and experienced o-line. The offense has scored 54 points in three games, an average of just 18 points per game. That includes 7 points against Iowa's reserves. However, excluding Iowa, which many believe has one of the best defenses in college football, Iowa State has averaged 23.5 points per game. Either way, this isn't enough production to win many games in the high scoring Big XII. The entire offense looks out of sorts, even moreso than last year. The line has pretty good pass protection, but just hasn't been able to produce the holes needed for a good ground game. The passing attack has focused on short dumps, and the few downfield opportunities have been missed by Arnaud. ISU has been able to sustain some drives, but mistakes including dropped balls, penalties, and poor throws have led to stalled drives or turnovers.

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
WR rating is too high, they are not living up to their potential at all, I would go all the way down to a D-. The only reason it's not an F is because they aren't completely helpless on the field. In all seriousness, the receivers just don't have the ability or heart to get open and catch a ball.

It's not a good thing when we have a 4 star and two 3 stars behind a former walk on.

RedBlooded

Jun 11, 2010
cedar falls
QB- D-
RB- C Woody has really impressed me with his strength.
WR- D just so disappointing from what was supposed to be one of our most at depth positions
TE A+ Franklin has great hands
Line C

Not good thats like a 2.2 gpa.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Offense
This year was supposed to be Arnaud's year. He's had time to learn and absorb Tom Herman's offensive scheme and has two full years of experience. He still doesn't seems comfortable with the offense however. Austen has 2 TDs to 5 picks on the year, and is completing under 60% of his throws which is worse than 2009. His legs have provided some first downs in designed QB runs and scramble situations, but his arm and decision making are not where they need to be for this offense to have any success.

The line seems to be gelling fairly well. Against Iowa, possibly the best defensive front in football, they looked suspect, but Iowa will make many teams look that way this year. The running game is averaging over 4.5 yards per carry (not including QB rushing stats), and haven't given up many sacks.

ARob was listed on some pre-season watch lists, but that seems like a long shot at this point. His 65 yeard TD run against Northern Illinois was exciting and nice to see, but otherwise he hasn't been able to break anything open. We'll need ARob to run lights out to have any chance of becoming bowl eligible. It would also be nice to see Shontrelle Johnson and Jeff Woody get some additional carries in relief.

This position was highly anticipated before the season with the return of several key receivers from injury. ISU has playmakers and speed. They need to catch the ball! ISU does not have a good enough QB to overcome dropped balls. If a ball is thrown anywhere near the receiver, it needs to be caught. Missing passes that turn into pick-6s isn't acceptible. Still I can't mark them down too far as I think much of the blame lies on the passer. It is nice to see the ball getting spread fairly evenly around to the receivers - this should help keep defenses guessing.

This seems to be the brightest spot on offense. Collin Franklin is averaging roughly 50 yards and 5 catches per game, which leads the entire receiving corps.

Overall: C The offense was supposed to be the strength of this year's team with a senior QB, talented running backs and receivers, and a big and experienced o-line. The offense has scored 54 points in three games, an average of just 18 points per game. That includes 7 points against Iowa's reserves. However, excluding Iowa, which many believe has one of the best defenses in college football, Iowa State has averaged 23.5 points per game. Either way, this isn't enough production to win many games in the high scoring Big XII. The entire offense looks out of sorts, even moreso than last year. The line has pretty good pass protection, but just hasn't been able to produce the holes needed for a good ground game. The passing attack has focused on short dumps, and the few downfield opportunities have been missed by Arnaud. ISU has been able to sustain some drives, but mistakes including dropped balls, penalties, and poor throws have led to stalled drives or turnovers.

I was cringing when I saw the thread title but was pleasantly surprised to see a reasonable analysis. I see three things I disagree with.

1. O-Line - I would give them a B- or even a C+. Too many missed blocks at key times. Too many O-Line penalties.

2. Overall - I would give them C-. As a whole they are not getting it done in the red zone and scoring is what it is all about.

3. ARob's long run was 63 yards. :wink:

Why do some posters insist in putting 3 periods at the end of their posts? And I don't mean "..."; I mean ". Period." Does that make what is posted any more true? Or does it mean that you have the last word and no one else's opinion matters?

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
the only thing i like is we have had some time consuming drives which gives the defense a break, and they need it. With our defense i dont think the coaches can take many chances on offense or we will get destroyed each week. Kstate literally had to punt once and they cant throw the ball to save their life!

so i guess its a mixture of having to control the ball to long without taking shots, and having a defense that never makes the other team punt, ever.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
F is too harsh, but I think D+ is about right

I think an F is more than fair. Struggled against NIU...shut out by Iowa (I don't count the garbage time TD) and again struggled against K-State. There is no consistency at all.

The offense needs a "get right" game. Should have been against NIU and it started to look that way - then went downhill very fast for the offense with a ton of mistakes. That game should have been in the 35-45 range for the offense (if not more) and we had to struggle just to win against a team that could do nothing themselves on offense.

I think had we went woodshed on NIU, the confidence would be much higher and execution would be better. This group has the potential to be good, not great, but good. So far they are playing like very bad, verging on unrecognizable.

It is possible for the "get right" session to take place Saturday night - but I firmly believe if the offense does not start the game well - it will be another struggle.

The Iowa State Cyclone football program continues to struggle with adversity and very, very rarely overcomes it.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
F is too good for the O line...I would have to give them an incomplete because I am not sure they have showed up for a game yet.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
F is too good for the O line...I would have to give them an incomplete because I am not sure they have showed up for a game yet.

Remember when the threads discussing Scott Haughton's impact and while not good that we lost him, many felt it wouldn't be a huge deal?

IMO, it is a huge deal. Yes, one man - but it's been proven time and time again that the loss of one man on an offensive line quickly impacts the entire unit.

No, I am not putting 100% of our struggles up front on Haughton's absense. But I do firmly believe it is playing a significant role. Many expected the offensive line to be good, if not the strength of this team. Thus far it has been anything but.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
F

The only consistent bright spot has been Franklin. Period.

I completely agree. So far in our first 3 games I have not been able to see any sort of a gameplan at work at all on offense.

Tom Herman gets a big fat F as well.

TheCity

Jul 8, 2008
The City, VA to CA
Pardon me for I must be bathing in the Kool-Aid.

Let's discuss the "separation" topic. The term separation is normally used when we're describing man to man coverage. So far we've only seen man on a few occasions, more times than none it has come on 1st or 2nd down and in short yardage situations. Therefore when talking about what's happening on the field in 3rd down situations or against Zone coverage, we can't say "The WR's aren't getting separation" because you don't need separation against a zone. Against a zone you need timing, strategic play design, and the ability to find the "soft spot". I'm not saying that our WR's are the best, I'm just saying the I don't believe separation is the issue. There have been many plays where guys were wide open and they never even got looked at on the play. There have been many times where the ball was thrown to a guy with 3 guys standing around him. That doesn't mean he didn't "separate" it means we picked the wrong part of the zone to attack. I know that everyone is frustrated, but its honestly more that the athletes to blame for the lack of production. We have a great group of WR's in my opinion, from starters to backups and even the new guys. We just need a scheme that plays into our strengths, and the ability to execute.

Reactions: Cyclonestate78

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
Offense

Talk About Grade Inflation. C - Seriously, a C?

I'm a little harder: D , still a passing grade, but well below average.

With all this talent back, AA was suppose to be 100% better. I can't tell the difference. He has no touch and can't hit the open reciever in the clutch.

The A-Rob overthrow vs KSU looked just lilke the KU game last year missing Darks.

AA is a great runner, the offense is one dimensional. We are going to be screwed vs very good teams who will force AA to beat them with the pass. I could be a really long year if something does not change.

Maybe my expectations were too high, but I fully expected the offense to win vs KSU. It could have, It should have.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
Pardon me for I must be bathing in the Kool-Aid.

Let's discuss the "separation" topic. The term separation is normally used when we're describing man to man coverage. So far we've only seen man on a few occasions, more times than none it has come on 1st or 2nd down and in short yardage situations. Therefore when talking about what's happening on the field in 3rd down situations or against Zone coverage, we can't say "The WR's aren't getting separation" because you don't need separation against a zone. Against a zone you need timing, strategic play design, and the ability to find the "soft spot". I'm not saying that our WR's are the best, I'm just saying the I don't believe separation is the issue. There have been many plays where guys were wide open and they never even got looked at on the play. There have been many times where the ball was thrown to a guy with 3 guys standing around him. That doesn't mean he didn't "separate" it means we picked the wrong part of the zone to attack. I know that everyone is frustrated, but its honestly more that the athletes to blame for the lack of production. We have a great group of WR's in my opinion, from starters to backups and even the new guys. We just need a scheme that plays into our strengths, and the ability to execute.

Thank you for a logical response. All this lack of 'seperation' talk is old. Now could it be the receiver's fault for not finding the soft spot in the zone? if so, then they deserve a low grade.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Franklin has been good and I've liked what I've seen from Woody in the few instances he's been in there...but other than that, the offense has been a big letdown this year so far

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
Scoring is 18 points per game for 103.

F

The offense's job is to score points. We haven't. So right now we get an F.
Honestly, I wouldn't care if our stats are terrible, I wouldn't care if AA's mechanics are terrible or if we only had 1 pancake all season, if we averaged 28-35 ppg, I wouldn't care 1 bit.

The up side is that, we are only 1/4 of the way through the season, still time to get better, still time to pull that ppg average up a ways.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Thank you for a logical response. All this lack of 'seperation' talk is old. Now could it be the receiver's fault for not finding the soft spot in the zone? if so, then they deserve a low grade.
Maybe AA can only radar track one receiver at a time when five are running routes. Maybe he is not Brett Farve.:swoon:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The offense's job is to score points. We haven't. So right now we get an F.
Honestly, I wouldn't care if our stats are terrible, I wouldn't care if AA's mechanics are terrible or if we only had 1 pancake all season, if we averaged 28-35 ppg, I wouldn't care 1 bit.

The up side is that, we are only 1/4 of the way through the season, still time to get better, still time to pull that ppg average up a ways.
The way we score points is like squeezing blood out of a turnip. It is very hard.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron