Georges Niang Combine Results

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The amazing Jerrod Uthoff had 8 points on 3 for 12 shooting. He was 0-6 from 3. He had 4 rebounds.

Poor Uthoff spent the last few months in Vegas training for this. I know that he has all of the variables that the NBA looks for. But I am not sure why a team would sign him instead of Georges.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
The article says:

Even if Mike Warren rushes for 2,000 yards behind a shaky offensive line next fall, he’s staying at Iowa State.
“We understand the opportunity and the enticement and the temptation could be there, but he’s finishing his degree,” Mike’s father, Curtis, said during a phone conversation Sunday with the Register.
“Our thing with Mike is if you make it to college, which he has, first and foremost, you’re going for an education. Finish that education, and then after that, if everything turns out right, then turn pro.”

Do you understand how quotation marks work?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Just for comparison, in the second game Uthoff had a -23 (8 pts on 3-12 shooting, 0 assists, 4 rebs, including an "Eliingsonlike" 0-5 from downtown).

From Hawkeye Lounge:

"Man, sitting here watching this combine -- I'm going to miss Uthoff something fierce.

For all of his passivenss at different points of the season + relying on his fadeaway shot rather than attacking, that shot remains something beautiful. He's going to play in this league for a while."

LOL

Attachments

• lounge.PNG
    lounge.PNG
    31.7 KB · Views: 48

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
From Hawkeye Lounge:

"Man, sitting here watching this combine -- I'm going to miss Uthoff something fierce.

For all of his passivenss at different points of the season + relying on his fadeaway shot rather than attacking, that shot remains something beautiful. He's going to play in this league for a while."

LOL

That's so cute.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Obviously I was joking about firing the NBA Combine coach...

Labassiere can kill it all he wants in workouts. Did anyone watch him this season? He was a mess. If he's that timi against Mississippi State, what's he going to do in the NBA? Obviously, he has time to develop, but there's no way I'm picking him that high if I'm an NBA GM. You're looking at two years minimum before he can contribute.

Yeah, he was awful. He will have to grow up in a hurry or he'll get murdered in the D League.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Cavs, huh? Interesting. Don't they usually like to play fairly big though? (Sorry, not a huge nba guy).

Cav's could be a nice fit. They like bigs who can catch and shoot from distance and pass (Kevin Love Channing Fry) to open the lane for Bron. Plus they are in win now mode and maybe looking for a immediate contributor instead of a project or foreign player overseas.
Also Georges is comfortable wearing red and gold.

32Cyclone Fan

Jan 31, 2008
+/- is how the team performed when you played and didn't play. So it the team lost by two, but while you were on the court scores 40 points while giving up 30, you had a +/- of +10 because the team performed 10 points better than the other when you played.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I think it's a fairly newer stat as I don't remember it being talked about much a decade ago, and there's debate on how telling of a stat it actually is.

I don't remember when they started using the +/- line in college but they have used it in NBA games for years. I followed Fred through his career at Iowa State because I had a daughter in his class. I then followed his entire 10 year NBA career. I taped a lot of his games and printed out the box score of those games. I checked the box score even for his last year which was the 2004-2005 season and the +/- score for each player was not listed on any of the box scores but it was a compiled stat that was used for most if not all of his NBA career which started in 1995.

There was just a link then that you could see the updated x/- after each game if you wanted to and Fred even lead the Timberwolves in the +/- category in his last season which was 2004-2005. The Timberwolves always played better when Fred was in the game. He was a finisher who often lead the team in scoring in the 4th quarter when the game was on the line.

Fred was an amazingly efficient player that people who only followed star players would not realize. So much so that one of his two years in Minnesota he even had a better steal to turnover ratio than most players except the few efficient point guards had assists to turnovers at 2.5 steals for every turnover.

While playing for the Bulls even though they were deep in rebuilding mode and were trying to lose so they could get high draft picks he set an NBA record. He wasn't even the point guard but he set the two game record of 25 assists without a turnover in back to back games. That stat is probably hard to find but I'm betting it still exists.

Last edited:

32Cyclone Fan

Jan 31, 2008
Slightly off-topic but what's frustrating is Diallo will likely go first round. He was terrible at KU and didn't even play in several games. And someone like Niang might go undrafted. Nature of the NBA draft but its still dumb.
Very dumb. Diallo only averaged 7.5 minutes in 27 games last season to the tune of 3 points. The NBA is just looking for a body they like and many times like in the case of Eddie Curry who the Bulls drafted during the Tim Floyd and Fred era in Chicago it came back to bite them in the butt. Curry always came into camp overweight, was lazy and out of shape and couldn't hack more than 20 minutes a game until at least mid season. He got his big pay check and then quit, if in fact he ever started. They should give some of these guys who really try an equal chance.

Georges is so much better than Uthoff it isn't even funny yet in some mock drafts they are projecting Uthoff to go late in the first round. All he has going for him is to block shots on smaller guards and shoot threes over them but he will get pushed all over the court if a team tries to play him as a forward.

Help Support Us

Become a patron