Georges Niang Combine Results

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
When did they start playing defense in the NBA again?

I heard a Tracy McGrady interview a few months ago and he was dismissing the idea that there is any defense being played in the NBA as ridiculous. Not just as one of these old cranks complaining about the rule changes and lack of physicality allowed on defense now, but as in there was never much defense since he came into the league almost 20 years ago. I don't know if I buy it, but I was shocked at how dismissive he was at the idea of even serviceable defense in the NBA. Then again, he says some dumb things on Twitter, so maybe he should just be ignored.

Bardman

Dec 7, 2009
Mesa, AZ

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I heard a Tracy McGrady interview a few months ago and he was dismissing the idea that there is any defense being played in the NBA as ridiculous. Not just as one of these old cranks complaining about the rule changes and lack of physicality allowed on defense now, but as in there was never much defense since he came into the league almost 20 years ago. I don't know if I buy it, but I was shocked at how dismissive he was at the idea of even serviceable defense in the NBA. Then again, he says some dumb things on Twitter, so maybe he should just be ignored.

The "no defense in the NBA" argument is laughable to me for the most part. They score more points in a game because the games are longer and it's the best players in the world (higher shooting % along with many other advantages).

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Diallo is actually shorter/same height as Niang.

Ben Bentil 6'8.25" in shoes, 6'7.25" without shoes (This could hurt his stock)

Cheick Diallo 6'7.5" without shoes (His length and bounce may make up)

Nigel Hayes 6'7.25 in shoes, 6'6.25" without shoes

No, that is a typo you quoted. Georges was measured 6' 6.75". Diallo was 6' 7.5" so he is 3/4 inch taller without shoes.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
The "no defense in the NBA" argument is laughable to me for the most part. They score more points in a game because the games are longer and it's the best players in the world (higher shooting % along with many other advantages).

And the pace is so much faster with a shorter shot clock and less time to cross half court.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
I can tell you from sitting at court side with regular season Spurs vs OKC that it's very physical out there...more than I ever knew. You could almost call a foul every time someone touched the ball.

dshindy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2014
Johnston
I can tell you from sitting at court side with regular season Spurs vs OKC that it's very physical out there...more than I ever knew. You could almost call a foul every time someone touched the ball.

This. The amount of contact at the rim in the GS vs Portland series was nuts. Way more physical than college with allowing the defender to make contact if he goes straight up. They are physical on the perimeter too. Plenty of defense in the NBA especially in the playoffs.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Agreed. As someone who watches college and nba basketball all the time it's annoying to hear. Watch the nba all star game. Thats an example of not playing defense. Sure some teams aren't good at defense but we as cyclones fans should have no room to speak when it comes to playing good defense

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
Anyone watching right now? Can you give us an update on his performance so far?
I watched a bit of today's scrimmage. Niang wasn't as productive today, but it wasn't entirely his fault. His team as a whole didn't start the game well and Niang started to press a bit in the first half. The lineups were a bit different and I think that had a big effect. Marcus Lee was a black hole and Niang had far better synergy with Kay Felder than with Payton or Gbinije.

To clarify. Yesterday's starting lineup

Kay Felder
Georges Niang
Nigel Hayes
Michael Gbinije
Cheick Diallo

vs Friday's

Michael Gbinije
Georges Niang
Marcus Lee
Daniel Hamilton
Gary Payton II

The lineups were mixed around in the 2nd half and that's when the team performed better.

Last edited:

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I watched a bit of the second half and saw two stints of his play. He got the ball on the baseline about 15 feet out, pump faked the closeout defender, drove by him then hit a reverse layup when the help defender came to the rim. Announcers commented, "That's Georgie Niang being Georgie". I saw him hit another layup, and miss one jumper. I didn't see the first two thirds of the game so don't know overall stats.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
This should be fun and historically ends well for Georges.

@phillipshoops Jarrod Uthoff and Georges Niang are doing a lot of battling in the post. Getting chippy. Fun to watch the old college rivals go at it.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
This should be fun and historically ends well for Georges.

@phillipshoops Jarrod Uthoff and Georges Niang are doing a lot of battling in the post. Getting chippy. Fun to watch the old college rivals go at it.

Wonder how much trash talking Georges is doing.

azhuth09

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 6, 2012
Des Moines, IA
I was watching the game camera on espn3 and georges had a dunk. Came right before the georges being georges comment.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Niang went 4-11 from the field for 10 points and 5 rebounds. Doesn't sound like an amazing day, though in the game there were people who fared worse or not much better as far as shooting goes. Gary Payton II was 3-11, Kyle Wiltjer was 5-15, and Daniel Hamilton was 3-8. On the other team, Ron Baker was 3-10, Isiah Cousins was 3-9, and Melo Trimble was 4-10.