Friday Afternoon Cael Sanderson Rumor Update

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Friday Afternoon Cael Sanderson Rumor Update

I have confirmed that Cael did indeed travel to Penn State's campus to interview for the opening and he was also invited to check out the facilities. Cael returned back to Ames and is rumored to have been considering the offer.

I have heard that the actual dollar figures being offered are much lower than the wild assumptions being thrown around. I would guess the real numbers are closer to the $150K to 200K range - far different than the claims of up to 500K by some.

At this moment, rumors are that Cael has talked with colleagues and friends and is leaning towards staying in Ames - if not already decided 100% to stay. This could of course change if he decides otherwise but nobody knows that but him.

Also, I've been told that Cael is somebody that will usually at least listen to offers, even if he doesn't plan on making a move - just out of respect and as most typically do. If that is true, we need to remember this so there aren't so many jumpers next year and onward.

Update - To show just how much this impacts the team and program - one wrestler just texted me that he heard Cael was already out of town and taking the job.

Some wrestlers have heard he's staying, at least one has heard he's leaving - anybody is just guessing at this point.

Apparently those as close to the situation as possible know absolutely nothing right now. Some have been told one thing only to literally turn around and hear the opposite. You could throw a dart at a camels butt and have a better chance of splitting a hair than you have of finding a legit source that knows anything remotely accurate at a time like this.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Thanks Jeremy. Hopefully good news and good info.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Let's hope he stays. I'm not up for another visual of Mr. Pollard in tears.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Well, I don't blame him for listening to an offer. It's a business and if he wants to win and they get him a better chance, he has to at least listen. Though I hope he sticks with the place that has been a home for him and his brothers in one way or another. Hopefully he'll coach his brother's senior year!

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Thanks Jeremy.

Those numbers make far more sense than 5 for 2.5M floating around yesterday. Hopefully JP can at least close in those and Cael realizes he has an established program here, and not as much of a rebuild as at PSU.