Fred and Bill Self at top of the list for NBA jobs

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
i dont think people realize how close fred was from leaving for the MN job last year, we need to stop thinking he will coach forever in ames its just not going to happen. The best thing that could happen to us is the Twolves continue to have a great year and more success in the future because i think thats a job hed love.

Not

cyclones4lyfe

May 22, 2013
You really think he was close to taking to Gophers head job? That was all agent work.
a friend of mine inside the program called me just about daily when that was going on and assured me it was a real discussion, his wife was pushing for it big time. i promise you it wasnt agent work.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
a friend of mine inside the program called me just about daily when that was going on and assured me it was a real discussion, his wife was pushing for it big time. i promise you it wasnt agent work.

Dude I can tell you with 100% certainty that Carol H was not pushing to leave Ames to coach the Gophers. That is such dumb non sense it isn't even worth replying to but I had to. It's about negotiating a new contract and it's smart. Fred has said on multiple occasions that he is at his dream job...on multiple occasions. As for the money, if CFH is getting IsU into the sweet 16 regularly and an occasional final four don't think for a second that JP wouldn't hesitate to add a couple million a year to CFH contract. This athletic dept just inherited an extra $25 million a year that it didn't have before in the new FB tv contract. $$$$ is no longer an issue at Isu. Fred will not be leaving until his kids have graduated from Hs if he leaves at all.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Coach K, Bobby Knight, Dean Smith, Roy Williams, John Thompson, Bill Self, etc... These are all coaches who had tremendous success building powerhouse basketball programs and never left for the NBA. Some coaches embrace the opportunity to work with young guys, teach the game, develop talent, help young guys achieve their dreams of making it to the professional level, etc...

I think Hoiberg falls into this category when it comes to coaching. He is a teacher of the game, listen to him talk about his players (especially the younger guys) and how excited he gets when he talks about their development. It is obvious he loves teaching and helping his players develop. The NBA doesn't offer nearly the same opportunities for coaches as college basketball does when it comes to that.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Of course, his name will come up in all sorts of searches for coaches. However, there are two related factors that need to be kept in mind that tell me that he will be here for a long time:

1. The unique Hoiberg Narrative. Grew up near Hilton, ball boy, Ames High star, ISU star, NBA, ISU coach. There is no story like that in the history of basketball. So, what is the next chapter? The NBA just for the money? No, that turns his story into pretty much the same story as ever other NBA coach. The next chapters in the Hoiberg Narrative are Big 12 championships, Final Fours, and National Championships. Note that I used the plural. Imagine the legacy that he will have (nationally, not just in Iowa) when this happens. It is a story that is almost unimaginable. I think he is motivated by this legacy. And in 10-15 years, after accomplishing these things, I could see him moving into a role as NCAA Commissioner (if there isn't such a thing, they will make it for him) and becoming the face of college sports for another decade. He could make even more money than an NBA coach by writing books, doing speeches, taking sponserships, etc.

2. Trust in Recruiting. It is so hard to trust a college coach in recruitment. They all say that they will be there for the recruit, but statistics suggest that it isn't true most of the time. Hoiberg's unique legacy gives him a level of credibility in recruiting that no one else has. When he says he is staying, he can point to all the other parts of his narrative as evidence. No other coach can do that. Further, if he flirts around with NBA coaching offers, he erodes his unique advantage in recruiting. His name will come up all the time, but I don't expect to see him ever interview for one of the jobs. I don't think Hoiberg wants only to recruit only one-and-done players and the best transfers. I think he also wants to recruit the best young talent and develop it. After all, he is a great coach who is fantastic at developing talent (and helping guys work through their issues to get to their talent). But, he won't keep getting these players if he is always seen as being on the verge of leaving for the NBA.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Thats why the T-Wolves job is kinda scary. Minneapolis isn't that far from his family either.

Yep. And Fred has relationships there so probably a bit "safer" in terms of some grace if things don't go great..and he has a lake house up there.

Fred is a legend. I would hope that he values that and the possibilities, but that also isn't the same as $$$. He could win 2-3 NBA titles, but in 20 years no one cares in Minneapolis or NBA for that matter, but if he had a few elite 8s/final 4s here, he is a LEGEND. But, again, we don't know what he values or what challenges he wants.

This is not the same, but I think of a local kid who works his way up as an engineer. He could go to ISU, get a job elsewhere, but return here to be close to family and have a great job at Sauer/Danfoss and be local, raise a family, etc....or get paid 3x as much to maybe go work for a bigger company (say, NASA or some other great engineering firm). How would we advise that student? Again, I know it's not the same....but fair to consider.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Fred has a cabin on the same lake as me in Minnesota as well. I still don't think that would've been enough for him to jump ship to a worse program in the Gophers.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
Why would he want to go from living legend status to just another NBA team manager, ur I mean "coach."

I don't know the man but I think he's more grounded than that. I think he's capable of seeing the big picture.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Fred has a cabin on the same lake as me in Minnesota as well. I still don't think that would've been enough for him to jump ship to a worse program in the Gophers.

pics of you two roasting marshmallows together (followed by an invite) or it didn't happen

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I have absolutely no concerns about the possibility of Fred leaving anytime soon. None. He isn't going anywhere.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
I hope he doesn't get that opportunity. For this programs sake, we need at least 5-6 more years of dreamy to re-establish our program in a good enough standing for him to leave IMO.

How old are the twins? That's how long we have worst case scenario. Kinda bad scenario is he stays and they play for him and then he leaves. Best case, he wants to become a legend in the college ranks and stays forever - at which point Ames is simply renamed "Fred, Iowa."

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
How old are the twins? That's how long we have worst case scenario. Kinda bad scenario is he stays and they play for him and then he leaves. Best case, he wants to become a legend in the college ranks and stays forever - at which point Ames is simply renamed "Fred, Iowa."

Age of twins keeps coming up, I can't remember for sure but think they were born during 2004-2005 NBA season, so maybe 8? Someone posted a picture Paige had put up with their birthday cake and an upside down ref that one of the players had retweeted, but I can't remember how old they were. Birthday must have been shortly after KU job in Hilton.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
Age of twins keeps coming up, I can't remember for sure but think they were born during 2004-2005 NBA season, so maybe 8? Someone posted a picture Paige had put up with their birthday cake and an upside down ref that one of the players had retweeted, but I can't remember how old they were. Birthday must have been shortly after KU job in Hilton.

Honestly, if Fred stayed 10 more years I would think it would be harder to leave. Of course, that is assuming so much. At this point he's great for the program and is a terrific narrative nationally. We are lucky.

Help Support Us

Become a patron