Fred and Bill Self at top of the list for NBA jobs

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
The more success Fred has at ISU, I think he stays. If he is unable to get the recruits to compete for Final Fours, then he may make the jump..........but if he has ISU ranked in the top 10 on a regular basis and reaching sweet 16's and the occassional final four, I think he stays and enjoys building his home town school into a National Power.

The NBA is a meat grinder and you don't get the "Love" that college coaches get. In college it's all about the coaches, Coach K, Cal, Self, Roy, Izzo, ect (Fred is a couple years away from being added to that list).............you don't hear "Love" about the NBA coaches, except for Phil Jackson (who doesn't even coach). The NBA is all about turnover, what's the life expecentacy of a NBA coach, 2 years???

I always thought he would be gone after about 5 years, but the more success he has and the way the NBA coaches are viewed - i think he stays forever.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I would like to think that Fred is the first person in NCAA history who gets his ball rack (from being a ball boy), jersey number, and whistle all retired by the same school.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I would like to think that Fred is the first person in NCAA history who gets his ball rack (from being a ball boy), jersey number, and whistle all retired by the same school.

You forgot microphone since he will then follow Gary Thompson into the booth when he is done coaching.

:jimlad:, sort of.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
i don't care how much he loves iowa state, the NBA $$$'s are so huge, you have to think about it. he's human right?

Brad Stevens got 6 yrs/$22M, and he was probably making 1M at Butler, so they more than tripled his comp.

Would someone give Fred 6 yrs/$36M and triple his comp? If you don't make the playoffs, as a coach you get May-Sept off. $6M to work 7 months of the year has to be tempting.....

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
i don't care how much he loves iowa state, the NBA $$$'s are so huge, you have to think about it. he's human right?

Brad Stevens got 6 yrs/$22M, and he was probably making 1M at Butler, so they more than tripled his comp.

Would someone give Fred 6 yrs/$36M and triple his comp? If you don't make the playoffs, as a coach you get May-Sept off. $6M to work 7 months of the year has to be tempting.....

But then you have to look at the time away from family which is nearly total during the NBA season and do you really live a life style that makes $1M+ a year inadequate? Judging by the house Fred and Carol had in the TC I have to say that ridiculous amounts of cash is not a huge motivator for the Hoibergs.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
SCREW THE NBA. Who honestly likes to watch garbage celebrity ball where the star always gets the whistle. NBA coaching is the most overrated thing ever, its not like you need a good coach anyway if Miami beach-boy wanna be, Eric "durka durr" Spolstra, can win. Messingham could run an efficient NBA offense if he have MVP caliber players.

Same goes with NFL, look at Mike Mcarthy of Green Bay. He is such genius before Rodgers got injured, doesnt look so hot now does he. GTFO you millionaire NBA bastards!!!

You had me at "Screw the NBA" but lost me at "Messingham could run an efficient NBA offense."

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Coaching at the most elite level of the game would be the only draw, but it would be a strong one IMO. I would hate it if he left, but if he really got an offer for one of the top franchises I couldn't hold it against him. On the other hand, if he leaves us for the Bobcats (soon to be Hornets), or a team of similar ilk, I'm not sure I could handle it.

I'm not sure that would be the only draw. Some coaches may not like recruiting. In the NBA, you don't have to recruit and deal with high school kids. Also, I wonder how schedule works out in the NBA. You have a longer season and longer road trips, but I bet the offseason is less hectic than it is on college.

You never know. Coach K and Izzo could go to the NBA anytime they wanted, but they prefer college. Who knows which side of the fence Fred falls on.

In the end, Fred will do what's best for him and his family, as he should. He's not going to do what's best for ISU, although he'd never purposely screw them over.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
It'd tough to move kids away from the grandparents, especially if you were away and then move close to them. I know if my family moved back near grandparents it would be really hard to tell them that we were moving away again.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Good thing none of them were in school when they moved from the TC to Ames.

Just ribbing you; I agree. Unless it is the absolutely perfect opportunity I think Fred and Carol want their kids to graduate from Ames so they can grow up around the grandparents.

No inside info here, just my gut and how Fred talks about family.

Hopefully that extends to graduating from ISU...

My gut feeling as well...

As for the lure of the big bucks...he doesn't strike me as the type of father that would trade half-years away from his children for more money.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

This is probably on of many reasons why I'm not a coach, but there is a lot to be said for stability and family, especially from a guy who grew up in Iowa. It's not like we are talking the difference between a $30K a year job and a $4million a year job. Fred's making a pretty good chunk of change for living in central Iowa and he has his family around him. Plus the season is much shorter. I would also think that general job security is probably a lot better at ISU than a mid level NBA team. Granted, you don't have the recruiting trips in the pros, but for me, I could easily see ISU being a dream job I would love to retire from.

I'm not saying at all that the NBA isn't attractive to him, just trying to point out that there are some things that may make all that money not look as tempting. It's not like Fred isn't set for life. Even if he did get let go from ISU, it's not like there wouldn't be a 100 other opportunities for him out there.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
He stays until his children graduate high school. No parent wants to explain to their kid why they are moving away from all their friends.

The twins were born just before Fred retired ('06), so that would make them 7, soon to be 8, now. If Fred wants to stay in Ames for the kids to graduate that gives us 10 years. And what if the Hoiberg boys have a bit of dad's gifts? How cool would it be to have the twins playing under Fred(if they are good enough, of course)?

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
The twins were born just before Fred retired ('06), so that would make them 7, soon to be 8, now. If Fred wants to stay in Ames for the kids to graduate that gives us 10 years. And what if the Hoiberg boys have a bit of dad's gifts? How cool would it be to have the twins playing under Fred(if they are good enough, of course)?

:jiggy::jiggy::jiggy: 2 Hoibergs? Just give us the NC now.

cyclones4lyfe

May 22, 2013
i dont think people realize how close fred was from leaving for the MN job last year, we need to stop thinking he will coach forever in ames its just not going to happen. The best thing that could happen to us is the Twolves continue to have a great year and more success in the future because i think thats a job hed love.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Sorry, I am going to stick with the idea that he wants his kids to grow up here close to his family, and then eventually play for him at Iowa State. Once they graduate, then he will consider moving on to the NBA. That is my story and I'm sticking with it. I refuse to believe any other possible scenario.

Now, let's all get back to just enjoying this season, please.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Sorry, I am going to stick with the idea that he wants his kids to grow up here close to his family, and then eventually play for him at Iowa State. Once they graduate, then he will consider moving on to the NBA. That is my story and I'm sticking with it. I refuse to believe any other possible scenario.

Now, let's all get back to just enjoying this season, please.

Thats why the T-Wolves job is kinda scary. Minneapolis isn't that far from his family either.

exCYtement

Feb 28, 2011
Ames
I don't see him leaving for a long time, or ever.
People have to remember Fred took a pretty decent pay cut just to come here, for an extremely risky job that almost everyone thought wouldn't work out. He wants to be here. Plus, Sam and Charlie are just entering junior high if I'm right, and I'd be shocked if he leaves before they graduate HS. I'm not expecting him to leave after, either.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
i dont think people realize how close fred was from leaving for the MN job last year, we need to stop thinking he will coach forever in ames its just not going to happen. The best thing that could happen to us is the Twolves continue to have a great year and more success in the future because i think thats a job hed love.

You really think he was close to taking to Gophers head job? That was all agent work.