Fred and Bill Self at top of the list for NBA jobs

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I trust Fred to do what's best for his family.

clearly that's a few FFs and a NC.

BTW, when I type in NC " McGary" pops up s an autocorrect. Damn you BYU!!
How old are the Hoiberg twins? I think family could play a big part in whether or not he goes anywhere. If Fred and Carol want to stay around to let the kids grow up near the grandparents, it could really influence him going to an NBA job, other than maybe Minnesota, Milwaukee, or Chicago.

Reactions: sandiego

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
I am sure Self goes before Fred. I honestly don't see Bill Self staying here (KU) until he is 75. Timberwolves is the only place I can see Fred leaves Iowa State for...

Last edited:

cyclone22

Sep 14, 2011
Ames, IA
SCREW THE NBA. Who honestly likes to watch garbage celebrity ball where the star always gets the whistle. NBA coaching is the most overrated thing ever, its not like you need a good coach anyway if Miami beach-boy wanna be, Eric "durka durr" Spolstra, can win. Messingham could run an efficient NBA offense if he have MVP caliber players.

Same goes with NFL, look at Mike Mcarthy of Green Bay. He is such genius before Rodgers got injured, doesnt look so hot now does he. GTFO you millionaire NBA bastards!!!

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
SCREW THE NBA. Who honestly likes to watch garbage celebrity ball where the star always gets the whistle. NBA coaching is the most overrated thing ever, its not like you need a good coach anyway if Miami beach-boy wanna be, Eric "durka durr" Spolstra, can win. Messingham could run an efficient NBA offense if he have MVP caliber players.

Same goes with NFL, look at Mike Mcarthy of Green Bay. He is such genius before Rodgers got injured, doesnt look so hot now does he. GTFO you millionaire NBA bastards!!!

So just to be clear, you're against the move then? Or...

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
I remember Fred saying something along the lines of "I want to coach here until I retire" last year when he signed his extension. Obviously there is probably a lot of coach speak in there, but I think he would be completely content coaching at Iowa State until he retired. That would be the best possible situation at least!

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I got the impression he was okay with it as long as Fred went to Green Bay to replace Aaron Rodgers....which seems confusing, but perhaps there's a Seneca tie-in I was missing.

CFH was the QB at Ames High, wasn't he? Seems to me I remember he had scholly offers for both FB & BB...

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I respect Fred and he can do what he pleases, but obviously want him him for MANY years!

While I wouldn't think I it's about money, scary to think the size of check a NBA team could dangle....but, thankfully Fred knows the ins/outs of the NBA and how a front office works.

Another scary thing, we always talk about his family, but what if he had a sweet deal offered and the fam was like "wait, we could move to Miami?" Maybe they would like something like that?

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Another scary thing, we always talk about his family, but what if he had a sweet deal offered

Thinking this. Maybe someday an NBA team comes along and offers him very good money. No doubt he makes enough at ISU for a comfortable living, especially in Ames, but maybe he wants to make a boat load to set his kids up for a lifetime as well.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The NBA is ALL about money, it's such a grind, that's the only real reward.

Fred could fall for the Gordon Gecko rational I guess but he doesn't strike me as someone worried about being richer.

Last edited:

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I think this is his dream job. He has both sides of the parents here and his his kids are still young.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
He stays until his children graduate high school. No parent wants to explain to their kid why they are moving away from all their friends.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
He stays until his children graduate high school. No parent wants to explain to their kid why they are moving away from all their friends.

Good thing none of them were in school when they moved from the TC to Ames.

Just ribbing you; I agree. Unless it is the absolutely perfect opportunity I think Fred and Carol want their kids to graduate from Ames so they can grow up around the grandparents.

No inside info here, just my gut and how Fred talks about family.

Hopefully that extends to graduating from ISU...

Help Support Us

Become a patron