First Play of 2010 Season

What will ISU's first play of the year be?

• Run

Votes: 124 67.4%
  • Pass

Votes: 60 32.6%

• Total voters

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
mccarney special, dive left for no gain. although this is pretty boring, i can sometimes see why mccarney seemed to generally start with a play like this. everyone gets that first hit in and that knocks out the jitters.

jj moses on the reverse was epic though against iowa in 2000 (?)

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Call me boring, but I would love to have a game against NIU where we run way more than pass. I am thinking 70% run, with most being ARob and backups. No sense having AA run the ball and risk injury if we do not need him too. Not sure I want ARob to get 200 yards, unless we need too. I would rather have him get 100+ yards, Woody and another back each get around 50 yards, and a few carries to others so they see the field. Of course, this will require a 2 score lead most of the second half, and I also hope that happens.
No way will we go 70% run. As much as Herman knows A-Rob is our best play and we need to get the ball in his hands, he will not run the ball 70% of the time.

CycloneNC2015

Jul 28, 2009
Urbandale
It will be a run. It usually is, just to settle the kids in. Dont need a pick-six first play of the year. If I had my choice I would go with a fake punt as the first play of the year, it would surely confuse everyone and likely be a homerun.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Its likely to be zone read to a rob for 6 yards like someone else said. Then an incomplete slant pass. Then some weird *** play like a near pick 6 that we luckily catch and get a first down.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Its likely to be zone read to a rob for 6 yards like someone else said. Then an incomplete slant pass. Then some weird *** play like a near pick 6 that we luckily catch and get a first down.

Sounds like the start to a great year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It will be a run. It usually is, just to settle the kids in. Dont need a pick-six first play of the year. If I had my choice I would go with a fake punt as the first play of the year, it would surely confuse everyone and likely be a homerun.

I doubt anyone would be fooled by a fake punt on first down.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
zone read around the right and out of bounds that plants Deace in the soil.

A beginning to the the perfect game.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I suspect it will be some type of zone read play to test the inexperience at LB that NIU has. Look for NL to do the same to ISU, but with the short passing game.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Theres no doubt in my mind that the first play will be a shotgun draw play to A-Rob up the middle but i would like to see Iowa State go in the I-Form with Darius Reynolds and Jake Williams out at WR and fake the handoff and have Willams block and we nail Reynolds on a streak pattern for a 70+ yard TD!!

timappelgate

Apr 9, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Theres no doubt in my mind that the first play will be a shotgun draw play to A-Rob up the middle but i would like to see Iowa State go in the I-Form with Darius Reynolds and Jake Williams out at WR and fake the handoff and have Willams block and we nail Reynolds on a streak pattern for a 70+ yard TD!!

I thought our offense was strictly shotgun.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron