Ferentz to PSU?

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
It is hard to find a replacement for JP at Penn State. It is going to be even harder to find a replacement with all the stuff happened last week or so.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Ok, so I want to stop talking about the scandal for a moment and actually talk about coaching prospects (if that's even possible).

Besides KF, CPR, Urban Meyer, and Al Golden...

who are the big name coaching prospects out there? Who has a clean enough record to actually be considered by the future PSU administration?

Bigbuck31pt

Sep 10, 2010
Why would CPR be a candidate? He has just three years head coaching expierience with a little bit of success. Don't get me wrong I think he's a great fit in Ames and could have a very successful career there and I hope he stays but come on.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Ok, so I want to stop talking about the scandal for a moment and actually talk about coaching prospects (if that's even possible).

who are the big name coaching prospects out there? Who has a clean enough record to actually be considered by the future PSU administration?

Houston Nutt, & Mike Leach are out there.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
Mike Leach? OK, that's interesting. If you do the math, locking a college kid in a sweatbox is nowhere near as devastating as allowing a known kiddie-rapist free access to your program and facilities.

This is probably the only school in the country where hiring Mike Leach would immediately give you IMPROVED public relations.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Mike Leach would be a touchdown.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Why would CPR be a candidate? He has just three years head coaching expierience with a little bit of success. Don't get me wrong I think he's a great fit in Ames and could have a very successful career there and I hope he stays but come on.

He's pretty highly respected for what he's done here already. It's pretty damn difficult to find any negative thoughts on the guy.

dbqhawk1952

Apr 27, 2011
This....
Apparently Ferentz was #1 on the list at Michigan at one point. They decided not to pursue him because of the numerous off the field incidents at Iowa.

Where did you hear that? Or did you just make it up. The story I heard is that they approached him through people that knew him and he said he had no interest.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I know Schiano (Rutgers) hasn't done much in a few years but I think he'd at least take the job if offered.

Leach is laughable. You don't replace someone who resigned in scandal with a coach who was previously fired amid scandal.

If I were PSU I'd go the assistant route and try to get a top assistant somewhere to be the new coach. Malzahn, Venebles, Mark Stoops, etc

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I don't know if this was mentioned in this thread yet, but does anyone think that Paul Rhoads would be a candidate for this opening? It would be a move up for him and that would be just Iowa State's luck a la Earle Bruce to Ohio State after Woody Hayes incident.

Edit: I've read a little now and I guess it was mentioned.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Here some random, outside the box, I'm throwing **** against the wall type of picks:

Larry Fedora at Southern Mississippi. Fedora currently has the Golden Eagles ranked 25 in the nation with 8-1 record. In his four years there he has 30-18 record, and is 49 years old and is probably ready to make a jump to a BCS programs.

Bud Foster Defensive Coordinator at Virginia Tech. He has been with the Virginia Tech since 1987. He may be deep rooted with the Hokies and Frank Beamer, but he may leave his post if the right offer comes along.

InCytful

Jun 11, 2010
Omaha, NE
I just needed to LOL at the thread title of this one. As long as they're not after CPR, I could care less who they pick to succeed Joe Pa.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
This coaching search is going to take a long time. How often is a school without a president, an AD, and a head football coach? While I can see bringing in an AD and coach before the president position is set, I don't see how you can hire a football coach without getting an AD first. And, since I'm sure the entire staff will be gutted, could you bring in an interim coach next year? Usually that's someone within the program.

Either way, I'll throw out my guess: Tony Dungy. You need a big name that doesn't carry baggage, and he's it. He's also the kind of guy that would have connections to get a staff together.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Clonehomer said:
Either way, I'll throw out my guess: Tony Dungy. You need a big name that doesn't carry baggage, and he's it. He's also the kind of guy that would have connections to get a staff together.

That would be an interesting hire and someone the Penn State needs to get in order to restore their imagine. Here's the million (or 3-4.5) dollar question, does he want to get back into coaching? I think that he may want to at the college level, since he is the type of coach that would want to mold young men.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron