JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Re: Fennelly: "This is a haard place to recruit to"

You're not even close to the first one to bring this up, will probably get moderated though...

I didn't think I was but I am trying to also respect both sides.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

Also true. Bill's 'we are a family program.' is open code for 'no gays allowed'. Not something I admire him for.

It seems like a huge obstacle, but than how in the hell did Kim Mulkey get Griner? You don't get much more "family" than Baylor.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

If Rhoads said anything remotely similar he'd be gutted like a fish on this board... despite the fact that it is no less true for him than it is for Bill.

I just wanted to point that out for those who weren't keeping score at home.

If rhoads said it now yeah he might get some flak. Itd come off badly. If he said it after a success level comparative to the level Fennelly has had, he'd be fine.

^^^^this. CPR saying it with his record would sound like excuse making. CBF saying it sounds like...it's a hurdle we have, but we do our best and I think we've done pretty well despite that.

Apr 19, 2006

Heard him say this on the post-game presser tonight. I appreciate his honesty, and wonder if any other coaches of our women's teams, like CJL, etc. share this view. Also wonder if any men's coaches agree.

I'd like to have a round table of the coaches and Pollard. Put them on Cyclone TV and have an open forum. Ask why it's so hard, we hear about it (so hard to recruit/compete) in football all of the time, but women's basketball is the first I've heard this.

I'm pretty sure it comes down to the cold and not much to do in the middle of Iowa, especially during the winter. I know we think our facilities are top notch, but I don't know what anybody else in the conference really has.

So it would be really interesting to see exactly what these coaches would need to be able to keep up with the Jones'.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

Yeah, I remember reading that article and just thinking, "What the ****?" Why would you want to play for someone like that. I can't pretend to understand how gay/lesbian players feel though. Maybe they are OK keeping it under the radar and off the front pages, I could certainly understand someone wanting to keep personal things private, but I'd think you'd want that to be your choice, not the coach's.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

If Rhoads said anything remotely similar he'd be gutted like a fish on this board... despite the fact that it is no less true for him than it is for Bill.

I just wanted to point that out for those who weren't keeping score at home.

Football is a different animal imo. In basketball ISU can be much more competitive with the Bigger schools than we have shown in football. Recruiting kids to Ames for football is probably the hardest job in college football.

Reactions: Angie

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Just watched the video - Fennelly went on to say "this is the most amazing collegiate environment in the country - but it's not for everyone." Talked about how other schools use the agriculture angle - cows, pigs, do they even have indoor plumbing, and then the cold weather - against us.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

It's magnified in football because more of the talent is concentrated elsewhere vs. basketball. Also, if you pull off one recruiting coup or get one diamond in the rough and you can be a tourney team for years. Plus the, "you can play right away" line of recruiting works better in BBall, because one guy can make such a difference.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I pretty much don't get this comment. We have a winning and well respected program and insane fan support and it's "hard" to recruit here? It's tough for anyone recruiting against the powerhouse schools but it is not like we are in some minor conference or lack in academics.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

If Bill thinks its tough filling 13 scholarships, I'd hate to see what he would do with 85! Getting a bit off topic here..I think Bill is a great coach, but I really don't buy his beef for WBB.

Bingo. Cry me a river Bill. Try filling over 6 times the scholarships you have when all the best recruits are from the south. You need to land a couple top flight recruits and you have some of the best fan support in the nation. And he hasn't been able to close on some of the nations best recruits being in his own back yard in the last decade. Bill has done some amazing things, and he is a great coach, but this really isn't someplace he should go.

Reactions: BigLame

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

Location wise it's not ideal, but once you get them here and especially to a game at hilton I don't see why anyone would pass on ISU for basketball.

Yeah, I would guess when ISU is top 10 in the nation in attendance, has a history of NCAA appearances and a lot of SRs that at least get WNBA tryouts, it shouldn't be that tough. In BB, not ALL the talent is in the south, unlike FB. Yeah, it's tough to outrecruit the powers in WBB, but ISU is a semi-power in the midwest. Shouldn't be THAT tough. Now football is TOUGH. We have good fan support and good facilities, but location and weather are always going to be against us and tradition is pretty much zero.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com

I don't buy it. People can recruit to colleges in much less desirable places than Ames just fine. Iowa State is a great place with a great school and great support. I just don't buy it at all (especially the colder weather in the winter argument.)

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

I think Bill is just saying that it is hard to get the top flight players to come to ISU, which is probably true. There are not a lot of elite woman basketball players and the elite teams recruit the best players hard. He is not talking about getting gals to make a good team, he is talking about getting the ones that will allow you to beat Stanford or Baylor.

If the football team recruited, coached and played at the level of the WBB team we would be thinking we died and went to heaven. BTW, I personally think the recruiting for the FB team has gotten better in the last 3 years, but it sure has not shown on the field this year.

CintiClone

Nov 10, 2009

Also true. Bill's 'we are a family program.' is open code for 'no gays allowed'. Not something I admire him for.

As a father of 2 girls I have to disagree with you. I for one appreciate the fact that CBF offers families of recruits a safe family environment that mirrors their own beliefs. CBF just happens to be upfront with his beliefs. I find it refreshing. What you see is what you get.

BTW - This is way different from "no gays allowed".

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

As a father of 2 girls I have to disagree with you. I for one appreciate the fact that CBF offers families of recruits a safe family environment that mirrors their own beliefs. CBF just happens to be upfront with his beliefs. I find it refreshing. What you see is what you get.

BTW - This is way different from "no gays allowed".

Makes sense. Wouldn't want any of that Lesbianism rubbing off on your daughters. That's how it works right?

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006

I know someone personally on staff at another B12 school and they have told me that Bill is known as a pretty straight laced guy throughout women's basketball. They have told me that other programs are more welcoming of women whose sexual preferences are different than what Bill believes in and it intimidates them. They have told me that his "family" atmosphere is very much displayed.
Just what I've heard.
If that's the case then not every ISU player got the memo.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron