Fennelly: "This is a hard place to recruit to"

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If you think that UCONN and ISU are equal in terms of recruiting potential you are mistaken. UCONN is an hour from New York City - Ames 40 min from Des Moines, UCONN is referred to non-stop on ESPN, ISU gets little national attention. UCONN got good at the right time - they defeated one of CBF's Toledo teams by one on a controversial call at the end of the game in the NCAA tourney when they went to their 1st Final Four. If that game goes the other way who knows where the program is today.

It will be interesting though to see what happens with UCONN going into an AWFUL WBB league going forward.

They will never lose a conference game again and will be a perennial 1 or 2 seed in the tournament without even trying.

Oh, I forgot; he will continue to complain about advantages that other programs have that poor, poor UConn doesn't have.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
They will never lose a conference game again and will be a perennial 1 or 2 seed in the tournament without even trying.

Oh, I forgot; he will continue to complain about advantages that other programs have that poor, poor UConn doesn't have.

So, basically it will be like Stanford and the Pac 12. :)

I don't know. Geno seems to get very competitive type players. I personally think the new league will impact his recruiting, maybe not right now, but in a few years. I think he will lose a lot of recruiting battles to Notre Dame, Maryland, Duke, and Tennessee among others.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
If you think that UCONN and ISU are equal in terms of recruiting potential you are mistaken. UCONN is an hour from New York City - Ames 40 min from Des Moines, UCONN is referred to non-stop on ESPN, ISU gets little national attention. UCONN got good at the right time - they defeated one of CBF's Toledo teams by one on a controversial call at the end of the game in the NCAA tourney when they went to their 1st Final Four. If that game goes the other way who knows where the program is today.

It will be interesting though to see what happens with UCONN going into an AWFUL WBB league going forward.

Not to mention that the Big East is on ESPN a ton this year, Big 12 WBB, not so much.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So, basically it will be like Stanford and the Pac 12. :)

I don't know. Geno seems to get very competitive type players. I personally think the new league will impact his recruiting, maybe not right now, but in a few years. I think he will lose a lot of recruiting battles to Notre Dame, Maryland, Iowa State, Duke, and Tennessee among others.

FIFY

Seriously, I hope you are right. I think Geno is a sanctimonious bastard.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Re: Fennelly: "This is a haard place to recruit to"

Also true. Bill's 'we are a family program.' is open code for 'no gays allowed'. Not something I admire him for.
I wonder how that explains the women on his past teams that have been gay?

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha

As a father of 2 girls I have to disagree with you. I for one appreciate the fact that CBF offers families of recruits a safe family environment that mirrors their own beliefs. CBF just happens to be upfront with his beliefs. I find it refreshing. What you see is what you get.

BTW - This is way different from "no gays allowed".

What do you mean by 'safe family environment that mirrors their own beliefs'?

That's code words too that you think gay players shouldn't have the same opportunity to play. do you think your daughters will become gay if they are around gay players?

Reactions: Angie

Linusvanp3lt

Sep 25, 2012

Id say its harder in WBB than in MBB though. Hoiberg can play the pro angle here a lot more.

I was really surprised to see this original quote. It may have been hard to recruit initially, but now I think the sell is much easier.

The WBB at ISU is one of the few teams in the country that has home fans. We were 2nd in the country in attendance last year. That can be a major selling point. Do you want to play in front of big crowds, so your games feel more "big time" or do you want to play in front of 500 people. For men's sports the disparity between have and have nots is actually much much smaller.

Add in the fact that the conference leads all conferences in attendance, and you can continue the "big time" argument. Again for men's sports the difference in home attendance for power 6 is more similar than for women's.

Next add in the fact that WBB talent often comes from states closer to home than does talent for MBB & FB. (yes I'm saying more white girls from the upper midwest play D1 than men from the upper midwest). It is easier to recruit a kid from instate or a neighboring state than for Fred or Paul to pull someone from Florida.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
I'm curious as to the ACTUAL attendance numbers at our games. I've been to two games so far this season and the people in the seats (although nice numbers) are nowhere near 10,000. Were we really 3rd in the nation in attendance or is it just bookkeeping? Do all the schools inflate their numbers?

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Attendance early in the season is always low. The sold tickets reflect those people that wait for the conference schedule to start. That being said...we still have more people per game (actual) than most teams in the country (usually in the 4-5K range).

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I'm curious as to the ACTUAL attendance numbers at our games. I've been to two games so far this season and the people in the seats (although nice numbers) are nowhere near 10,000. Were we really 3rd in the nation in attendance or is it just bookkeeping? Do all the schools inflate their numbers?

Those are actual tickets sold, which is the way most, if not all schools do it. I have worked at several buildings over the years that hosted college basketball, and there was only one that ever gave us actual attendance figures and that was the LA Sports Arena for USC basketball. There, they used turnstiles on every event, so we had an actual attendance figure. However....we always got 2 figures there too......actual attendance and announced attendance, which was the figure USC and all schools report to the NCAA and is what you see in the boxscores. I don't know if the NCAA has rules about what to report, or why it is done that way.

Unless you have turnstiles or someone at each point of entry using a hand counter or something, there is no way to get an actual attendance and very few buildings have those any more. Most professional outdoor stadiums do still use turnstiles though I believe. Every building or stadium that I worked that had a professional team of some sort also used turnstiles and actual attendance figures as well as announced figures.

I worked with concessions companies over the years, and we always wanted to use an actual figure so we could track our per capita spending by customers.

Last edited:

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Those are actual tickets sold, which is the way most, if not all schools do it. I have worked at several buildings over the years that hosted college basketball, and there was only one that ever gave us actual attendance figures and that was the LA Sports Arena for USC basketball. There, they used turnstiles on every event, so we had an actual attendance figure. However....we always got 2 figures there too......actual attendance and announced attendance, which was the figure USC and all schools report to the NCAA and is what you see in the boxscores. I don't know if the NCAA has rules about what to report, or why it is done that way.

Unless you have turnstiles or someone at each point of entry using a hand counter or something, there is no way to get an actual attendance and very few buildings have those any more. Most professional outdoor stadiums do still use turnstiles though I believe. Every building or stadium that I worked that had a professional team of some sort also used turnstiles and actual attendance figures as well as announced figures.

I worked with concessions companies over the years, and we always wanted to use an actual figure so we could track our per capita spending by customers.

Do they scan tickets as you enter?

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

If rhoads said it now yeah he might get some flak. Itd come off badly. If he said it after a success level comparative to the level Fennelly has had, he'd be fine.

So you can only identify disadvantages after you have overcome them?

907CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
I am reading the quote differently than most of the people here. To me the BF was giving his staff an offhand compliment. Iowa State is a tough place to recruit too because we don't have beaches or mountains that other schools have. But what I have seen the last couple of years is that our staff is out there hitting the courts getting our name in front of a lot of young players. More top players are looking at the Cyclones as a possilbe place to go. As was said before, this thread is a non issue.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron