Fennelly: "This is a hard place to recruit to"

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Heard him say this on the post-game presser tonight. I appreciate his honesty, and wonder if any other coaches of our women's teams, like CJL, etc. share this view. Also wonder if any men's coaches agree.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Re: Fennelly: "This is a haard place to recruit to"

After all, we force them to wear Uggs.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Definitely hard to argue especially when you start talking about recruiting against teams 'above our level' with advantages that will always be there no matter how high you elevate the program (ie: stanford)

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

I don't think CFH would agree. It's taken him 3 seasons to make Ames, IA a destination for top-flight transfers and 4+ (fingers crossed) star HS players. Couldn't ask for much more.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

I don't think CFH would agree. It's taken him 3 seasons to make Ames, IA a destination for top-flight transfers and 4+ (fingers crossed) star HS players. Couldn't ask for much more.

Id say its harder in WBB than in MBB though. Hoiberg can play the pro angle here a lot more.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering

Doesn't women's BB also have a higher scholarship limit? Makes it harder to recruit away from the top schools when there aren't enough good players to go around.

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

Location wise it's not ideal, but once you get them here and especially to a game at hilton I don't see why anyone would pass on ISU for basketball.

nickcyv

Apr 29, 2009

It might very well be Fennelly's coaching style. Not saying he is a bad coach but he is tough. They win far too much for recruiting to be too difficult.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA

If Rhoads said anything remotely similar he'd be gutted like a fish on this board... despite the fact that it is no less true for him than it is for Bill.

I just wanted to point that out for those who weren't keeping score at home.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

If Rhoads said anything remotely similar he'd be gutted like a fish on this board... despite the fact that it is no less true for him than it is for Bill.

If rhoads said it now yeah he might get some flak. Itd come off badly. If he said it after a success level comparative to the level Fennelly has had, he'd be fine.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

If Bill thinks its tough filling 13 scholarships, I'd hate to see what he would do with 85! Getting a bit off topic here..I think Bill is a great coach, but I really don't buy his beef for WBB.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

They used to be the same but scholarships for men's sports were reduced by ten percent by the NCAA a while back. Which is why in non headcount sports you have weird fractional limits like the 9.9 for wrestling (it used to be 11).

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

I know someone personally on staff at another B12 school and they have told me that Bill is known as a pretty straight laced guy throughout women's basketball. They have told me that other programs are more welcoming of women whose sexual preferences are different than what Bill believes in and it intimidates them. They have told me that his "family" atmosphere is very much displayed.
Just what I've heard.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

I know someone personally on staff at another B12 school and they have told me that Bill is known as a pretty straight laced guy throughout women's basketball. They have told me that other programs are more welcoming of women whose sexual preferences are different than what Bill believes in and it intimidates them. They have told me that his "family" atmosphere is very much displayed.
Just what I've heard.

You're not even close to the first one to bring this up, will probably get moderated though...

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Just what I've heard.

Also true. Bill's 'we are a family program.' is open code for 'no gays allowed'. Not something I admire him for.