DOT Seeks Input on Rest Areas

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
They don't do that but it is certainly a generational thing. My FIL refuses to use a GPS and I am 99% sure still prints off MapQuest directions.

I think my parents still order a "Trip Tick"? from Triple A. It's like a mini customized map that comes in the mail. Maybe they can't get that anymore, it's been several years since I actually traveled with my parents.

Reactions: khardbored

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The toll road from Chicago to South Bend, which I think is 80/90, has rest areas on both sides. Poor Knute Rockne has one named after him eastbound.

The Kansas Turnpike does have them in the middle.

There is one on I-88 on the way to Chicago near Dekalb that is on one side, but has access via dedicated bridges from the other side.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
We have a GPS too. Sometimes it gives us totally whack routes no matter what preferences we put in. It decided to send us on some blacktop one way excursion in Hannibal, MO to avoid one short traffic light on highway.:rolleyes: So we use everything, paper maps, Google maps on phone, GPS.

Another epic GPS fail was with kids on baseball team and it sent us to some abomination called Pizza Wheel instead of Pizza Ranch.

I go down to St. Louis about once a year or so. The first time I saw this GPS route at Hannibal I rolled my eyes, too ... but it actually saves you some time. It's way more than one short traffic light - it's a fairly congested route through Hannibal on US 61 with maybe as many as a half-dozen lights and lots of traffic turning in and out of businesses. Taking the GPS route puts you on a two-lane rural blacktop for a few miles, but it is less time, for sure.

Now if you're planning to stop in Hannibal for gas or food anyway (which I typically do), forget the bypass route, but it's not the GPS being stupid.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
It makes sense in Kansas, because you're on a toll road. Instead of having to build exits with booths, and on-ramps with booths, it's easier to do an island in the middle.

For a rest stop, you wouldn't have toll booths. There's no where else to go to escape the toll road.

It's still economically better because you're building just one facility to handle traffic going in both directions, rather than a rest area on both sides of the interstate, but toll booths aren't the issue.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I go down to St. Louis about once a year or so. The first time I saw this GPS route at Hannibal I rolled my eyes, too ... but it actually saves you some time. It's way more than one short traffic light - it's a fairly congested route through Hannibal on US 61 with maybe as many as a half-dozen lights and lots of traffic turning in and out of businesses. Taking the GPS route puts you on a two-lane rural blacktop for a few miles, but it is less time, for sure.

Now if you're planning to stop in Hannibal for gas or food anyway (which I typically do), forget the bypass route, but it's not the GPS being stupid.

My son introduced me to the short-cut on the way to Memphis for the Liberty Bowl. Worked fine for us. It would be tough with a trailer!

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If the stops were in the middle, you could meet up with the mistress, do what you need to do and then just head back the other way. Don’t need to find an exit.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
The gas tank on my jeep only gets me a 300-350 mile range so the stops tend to line up perfectly for me. I do think rest areas should stick around. We used them a lot when we drove as a family cross country to the east coast 15-20 years ago. Couple of sandwiches in a cooler and on your way as needed. I think my parents still stop at them now.

That said, I will say I hate with an absolute passion the 'service islands' you find on toll roads. Those things get so incredibly crowded it's ridiculous. Especially in upstate New York. We were coming back from a camping trip on a Sunday (it was still before noon) and the line to get fuel at the pumps was long enough that my friend had enough time to walk back into the service center, wait in line (which he had skipped originally because of the length of the line), get a sandwich made, and get back to us before we had even started to get fuel. Some of the ones in Indianna and Ohio aren't horrible, but a lot of them just are not sized appropriately. Instead of spreading travelers out along the length of the interstate, everyone gets stuffed down into a few locations.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
As someone who has to pee quite often and that has a todler, I prefer the rest areas. So much quicker than heading to a larger truck stop. I've driven through some states that don't have **** for rest areas or gas stations.

Also with having a camper now, rest areas are much better than trying to maneuver through a gas station that wasn't build to have trailers parked in the regular vehicle area. I do wish there were more rest areas with dump stations, but that's for another day.

Reactions: carvers4math

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I feel like people who think there are too many have never been pregnant or potty trained a child.

This is so true. My wife first knew she was pregnant on a road trip to Colorado. She had to stop to pee more than the kids in the back.

I also feel like you take rest stops for granted until you're in a state that doesn't have many. On that same Colorado road trip we had to search FOREVER for even an exit with somewhere to go to the bathroom. We even found one that had a sign that said no public restroom. Seriously?!?

I do agree that we might not need as many of them, and not as many near exits with gas stations readily available, but they are a godsend when you gotta go and the nearest exit is just to another highway with a town 15 minutes away.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
The thing is there are only so many resources. You can like rest stops, but I prefer better schools. They built rest stops by Ankeny for an astounding 17 million dollar price tag and it's maybe 2 miles from a nice big gas station with plenty of room for walking the dogs.

I don't care if people like rest stops or not. However we are in an era of rising educational and health costs and we're spending tens of millions of dollars to make it more convenient to travel. To me that's utterly absurd.

And why was that rest moved? Because some developer wanted to put an interchange in it's old location.

I have no idea with frugal government spending. This however was a waste of taxpayer $$ in order to allow some developer to rake in the cash with the housing development going in now.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Here is an India rest area. Yes, they have a national highway system that has pretty decent roads on which you can go full speed. However, the rest areas are pretty much like in this video. And the bathrooms are outside behind some walls. Very gross. Sorry no video of those.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
And why was that rest moved? Because some developer wanted to put an interchange in it's old location.

I have no idea with frugal government spending. This however was a waste of taxpayer $$ in order to allow some developer to rake in the cash with the housing development going in now.

The exit is necessary. That part of Ankeny is getting larger and larger and it's much easier to exit there than to have to go to 1st street.

I do agree there was no reason to rebuild the rest stop so close to Ankeny though. That was a waste of money.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Here is an India rest area. Yes, they have a national highway system that has pretty decent roads on which you can go full speed. However, the rest areas are pretty much like in this video. And the bathrooms are outside behind some walls. Very gross. Sorry no video of those.

Do they have Coca-Cola there?

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The rest areas north of Ankeny make sense to me.

There is a ton of traffic going through there, don’t really want to deal with people crossing lanes just to pee. Enough of a mess in heavy traffic when they lose a lane.

• Agree
Reactions: NickTheGreat