DOT Seeks Input on Rest Areas

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I'm not sure where the rest stop is that is on the way to KC but every time we head down for the B12 tourney and on the way back we stop there.

I'm amazed how much I hate Missouri by their lack of rest stops on I-35, causing us to pull off at gas stations or into small town restaurants just to go.

• Winner
Reactions: carvers4math

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Probably has already been said, but they should lease the areas to companies (with certain requirements that they have to fulfill like x amount of free parking and use of facilities, etc).
They privatized upkeep on rest areas a while back. I don't know if they took it back to state control again or if the private companies got better, but when they first switched over, the frequency and quality of the maintenance plummeted. There were a number of stories on it in the media. Trash went un-emptied and consequently litter blew all over the place, stopped up toilets remained that way for multiple days creating vomit-inducing odors, etc. They seem to be better now, at least the ones we've patronized.

I agree with some of the other posters...if we're not getting gas or a pop, I feel uncomfortable using the restroom at a business. I prefer rest areas, as they are dedicated in & out situations, parking is easy, and there are multiple stalls if you're in a hurry! ;)

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
They privatized upkeep on rest areas a while back. I don't know if they took it back to state control again or if the private companies got better, but when they first switched over, the frequency and quality of the maintenance plummeted. There were a number of stories on it in the media. Trash went un-emptied and consequently litter blew all over the place, stopped up toilets remained that way for multiple days creating vomit-inducing odors, etc. They seem to be better now, at least the ones we've patronized.

I agree with some of the other posters...if we're not getting gas or a pop, I feel uncomfortable using the restroom at a business. I prefer rest areas, as they are dedicated in & out situations, parking is easy, and there are multiple stalls if you're in a hurry! ;)

I think running a business there is a whole other world from getting paid for upkeep and maintenance. We could require that businesses located there maintain the separate facility for those who don't want to go in the store. It would make sense to have that adjoining their commercial space, but with a separate entry where people who didn't want to go through the store wouldn't have to (but with the areas somewhat open to each other so that the business would have a rooting interest in keeping it presentable.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

I need to start using rest areas. Whenever I hit up a gas station on a road trip I always end up with a drink and snack.

• Funny
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I think running a business there is a whole other world from getting paid for upkeep and maintenance. We could require that businesses located there maintain the separate facility for those who don't want to go in the store. It would make sense to have that adjoining their commercial space, but with a separate entry where people who didn't want to go through the store wouldn't have to (but with the areas somewhat open to each other so that the business would have a rooting interest in keeping it presentable.
I think you may have misunderstood. They didn't create privately owned "rest areas" - they contracted out to private companies to maintain the state owned facilities (mow the lawns, dump the trash, refill paper towels, mop the floors, etc...). Prior to that it was state employees doing all of that (DOT people, maybe?)

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I enjoy rest areas too. The one thing about people need to keep in mind is that if you stop at a gas station to go to the bathroom, you should be a paying customer. Now reality is an employee isn't going to stop you. But you should be a paying customer if you stop at a restaurant or gas station.

What kind of sociopath can walk through a whole convenient store and not grab one thing they're going to regret?

• Funny
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think you may have misunderstood. They didn't create privately owned "rest areas" - they contracted out to private companies to maintain the state owned facilities (mow the lawns, dump the trash, refill paper towels, mop the floors, etc...). Prior to that it was state employees doing all of that (DOT people, maybe?)

Yeah, I know exactly what you meant. I'm suggesting that these rest areas become little gas station/truck stop type areas, ran by the retailers (where their business would be affected by how well they maintained their area). Completely different concept.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Yeah, I know exactly what you meant. I'm suggesting that these rest areas become little gas station/truck stop type areas, ran by the retailers (where their business would be affected by how well they maintained their area). Completely different concept.
Okay. That wasn't clear in your response.
Why do we need more "for profit" gas stations? The beauty of rest areas is that they are a little oasis. Better parking, better facilities if all you want is a break from driving. You have a gajillion gas stations already. Leave my rest areas alone! :D

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Truck drivers have mandatory rest periods. Also, I have driven non stop from Dallas to Ames and from the Grand Tetons to Des Moines on different occasions and in both cases I was pretty tired by the end of it. I also drove from Phoenix to Kansas City with only a break of a few hours of fitful sleep at - you guessed it - a rest area.

Yeah, a buddy and I drove from DSM to Northern Jasper National Park in Canadia. 31hrs I think it was of drive time pulling a camper. I. Was. Done. Wipes you out man.

• Friendly
Reactions: VeloClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yeah, a buddy and I drove from DSM to Northern Jasper National Park in Canadia. 31hrs I think it was of drive time pulling a camper. I. Was. Done. Wipes you out man.

Cryptic reference to YeahBuddy?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Okay. That wasn't clear in your response.
Why do we need more "for profit" gas stations? The beauty of rest areas is that they are a little oasis. Better parking, better facilities if all you want is a break from driving. You have a gajillion gas stations already. Leave my rest areas alone! :D

Rather than being an expense, it would generate revenue. The parking and facility requirements could be set as we see fit.

• Agree

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Sure it would. Just one that comes with requirements. Prime location, reasonable rates, but you are required to provide these amenities.
What part of separating out pumps and commerce from a pottie break or short nap in the parking area doesn't resonate? Put businesses in there and you push out the semis & RVs.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. IMO, both have their distinct purpose. You want them all to have the same purpose.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
What part of separating out pumps and commerce from a pottie break or short nap in the parking area doesn't resonate? Put businesses in there and you push out the semis & RVs.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. IMO, both have their distinct purpose. You want them all to have the same purpose.

Well, probably on the agree to disagree part. I envision dedicated parking for such things as well (as a requirement). Basically all the amenities you have now, plus a gas station/restaurant/etc. And they pay us for the opportunity.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Well, probably on the agree to disagree part. I envision dedicated parking for such things as well (as a requirement). Basically all the amenities you have now, plus a gas station/restaurant/etc. And they pay us for the opportunity.
They have talked about doing this before. Basically sell the land with a covenant that truck parking be provided/maintained. So essentially McDonald's could buy the rest area land, be required to have truck parking, and instead of the land being tax exempt, taxes would be collected (not to mention tax money is not spent to maintain). Unfortunately, you have to worry about existing business at interchanges failing with this option.

• Informative