DOT Seeks Input on Rest Areas

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I've never understood why they don't put these rest stops in-between the roads on an interstate so that you can serve both directions with one building. I've seen this all over Europe and it seems to make so much more sense.

Because that goes against everything government stands for. Why have 1 when you can have 2 for twice the cost...

In all seriousness I think it has something to do with safety and that you don't want slow/exiting vehicles in the left/passing lane

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I enjoy rest areas too. The one thing about people need to keep in mind is that if you stop at a gas station to go to the bathroom, you should be a paying customer. Now reality is an employee isn't going to stop you. But you should be a paying customer if you stop at a restaurant or gas station.
On the interstate there are more than enough truck stops that you don't need to stop at a mom & pop gas station. I don't feel obligated to purchase anything in a truck stop. I have yet to understand who buys half of the crap they sell at truck stops. How many of those fake crystal dragon figurines do they sell?

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Have had inhalers way before that. I take a purse into JTS just for the inhaler cause it is a hassle.
So second-hand smoke triggers it, but not to the point (even second-hand indoors like we used to have) where an inhaler can't handle it pretty reliably?

I've always wondered about when I think about the way things used to be.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
So second-hand smoke triggers it, but not to the point (even second-hand indoors like we used to have) where an inhaler can't handle it pretty reliably?

I've always wondered about when I think about the way things used to be.

It depends on the person and the length and intensity of exposure. Three of my kids and I have asthma and tobacco is a trigger for all of us. Had to take one of the kids to the emergency room from people smoking it up at an ice cream shop in Canada when he was four.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
When we went to Memphis for the bowl game (2012, not last year), my parents brought a paper map instead of using GPS. There must have been 30 maps in the glove box. They drove a huge chunk of the trip without realizing I-49 existed. It wasn't on their 1983 version of the map.

I remember the days when before a vacation my dad would go to AAA and pick up the maps for the states we would be going through.

Back on topic...as far as rest areas go their full value cannot be measured in what we get out of them while driving. Remember they are just that rest areas. Drive down 80 in the middle of the night and they are packed with semis. Where would those semis go if we started getting rid of rest areas?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The thing is there are only so many resources. You can like rest stops, but I prefer better schools. They built rest stops by Ankeny for an astounding 17 million dollar price tag and it's maybe 2 miles from a nice big gas station with plenty of room for walking the dogs.

I don't care if people like rest stops or not. However we are in an era of rising educational and health costs and we're spending tens of millions of dollars to make it more convenient to travel. To me that's utterly absurd.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I love the rest areas myself in Iowa. My suv does almost 600 miles on a tank. I pack up the food/beverages I need for road trips. I will go from WI/Chicago to KC all the time without having to stop for gas until I get there. The rest areas are a convenient restroom break and stretch the stiff legs out with a brief walk which is nice for us old people. Restrooms are always clean, gas stations, it is hit or miss. Let the dog get his break. Finding a decent patch of grass for the dog at convenience stores is challenging. Gas stations I don't like because of other reasons others mentioned.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I remember the days when before a vacation my dad would go to AAA and pick up the maps for the states we would be going through.
I still do this if for no other reason my son loves maps and he likes to follow along as we drive as well as lobby for stopping at the national parks our route goes near. And it is nice to have a back up if the phone's mapping program takes a crap on you.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I remember my dad getting maps sent to him from one of the oil companies. You told them your start point and destination and what you wanted to see and they would send you a map with your route already drawn in for you with all of their gas stations along the way.
I think I remember those coming from Gulf.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I love the rest areas myself in Iowa. My suv does almost 600 miles on a tank. I pack up the food/beverages I need for road trips. I will go from WI/Chicago to KC all the time without having to stop for gas until I get there. The rest areas are a convenient restroom break and stretch the stiff legs out with a brief walk which is nice for us old people. Restrooms are always clean, gas stations, it is hit or miss. Let the dog get his break. Finding a decent patch of grass for the dog at convenience stores is challenging. Gas stations I don't like because of other reasons others mentioned.

Ok, now this makes more sense why people are stopping at rest stops. My car only goes about 300 miles between fill ups so once every 4 hours or so I have to stop and get gas.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
The thing is there are only so many resources. You can like rest stops, but I prefer better schools. They built rest stops by Ankeny for an astounding 17 million dollar price tag and it's maybe 2 miles from a nice big gas station with plenty of room for walking the dogs.

I don't care if people like rest stops or not. However we are in an era of rising educational and health costs and we're spending tens of millions of dollars to make it more convenient to travel. To me that's utterly absurd.
The rest stops are paid for out of Iowa's Road Use Tax Fund that is funded by the excise taxes on motor fuels and by licenses, etc. By law that money can only be spent on transportation projects and not anything else.
https://iowadot.gov/about/HighwayFinance.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
They don't do that but it is certainly a generational thing. My FIL refuses to use a GPS and I am 99% sure still prints off MapQuest directions.

While we all have access to many GPS maps (phones, cars, etc...) I still have a nagging distrust that they know the quickest or most scenic routes to where I'm going. I can't read a map, I sure as hell can't fold a map, but I feel way more comfortable WITH a map if for no other reason than the rest areas are out of booty wipe.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The rest stops are paid for out of Iowa's Road Use Tax Fund that is funded by the excise taxes on motor fuels and by licenses, etc. By law that money can only be spent on transportation projects and not anything else.
https://iowadot.gov/about/HighwayFinance.

Which still raises the question of resources.

Would that 17million have been better spent on other road projects? I'd say absolutely.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Which still raises the question of resources.

Would that 17million have been better spent on other road projects? I'd say absolutely.
That's a different question. I was replying to the use of RUTF money on educational and or health care expenses.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron