DOT Seeks Input on Rest Areas

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
With the amount of truck stops along most interstates the state sponsored rest areas are not really needed. While it is nice to be able to pull over, use the facilities, and get back on the road quickly there is usually a truck stop within a reasonable distance so it would save the states some money.
I remember as kids on a road trip that mom would pack lunch and we would stop at a rest area and eat at the picnic tables.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
This is so hard to plan 10-15 years out.

• Will the majority of cars in 15 years cruise down the highway without little intervention? My best guess is yes but there will still be a large percentage of cars on the road that are old.
  • Electric vehicles. How much will these improve? How good can fast charging be in the future. Instead of spending 5 minutes at a rest area you may have to spend 2 hours to fully charge your Tesla.
  • Things like free wi-fi seemed like such a great idea 5 years ago. Now it's like who cares.
  • I rarely use rest areas. If I stop it's going to be at a convenience store where I'll grab a pop, fill up with gas,bathroom, and move on. Seems like it's about people with animals and truckers.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
This is so hard to plan 10-15 years out.

• Will the majority of cars in 15 years cruise down the highway without little intervention? My best guess is yes but there will still be a large percentage of cars on the road that are old.
  • Electric vehicles. How much will these improve? How good can fast charging be in the future. Instead of spending 5 minutes at a rest area you may have to spend 2 hours to fully charge your Tesla.
  • Things like free wi-fi seemed like such a great idea 5 years ago. Now it's like who cares.
  • I rarely use rest areas. If I stop it's going to be at a convenience store where I'll grab a pop, fill up with gas,bathroom, and move on. Seems like it's about people with animals and truckers.
Don't forget the RVers. It's very convenient if you are driving an RV to stop for lunch, bathroom break, stretch your legs, let your dog out, pick up a road map (to double check the GPS directions), etc. I've been to rest areas all over the country and they are usually heavily used if not full to capacity.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Don't forget the RVers. It's very convenient if you are driving an RV to stop for lunch, bathroom break, stretch your legs, let your dog out, pick up a road map (to double check the GPS directions), etc. I've been to rest areas all over the country and they are usually heavily used.

Oh yeah, forgot about the RV'ers.

Reactions: aauummm

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Don't forget the RVers. It's very convenient if you are driving an RV to stop for lunch, bathroom break, stretch your legs, let your dog out, pick up a road map (to double check the GPS directions), etc. I've been to rest areas all over the country and they are usually heavily used.

Dad? Is that you?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I love the one by Huxley. We always stop there as our last chance for plumbing before tailgating. Quicker than a business on game day.

I much prefer rest areas to truck stops. The number of people at truck stops always made me nervous with a bunch of kids all using the opposite restroom as me. Also love having green space for kids and dogs.

They are also great as mini tourism locations. The history of the Atanasoff computer at the Huxley one is good PR for ISU.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Chuckle, nope but it sounds like I might travel like your Dad! It's a great life on the road!

They don't do that but it is certainly a generational thing. My FIL refuses to use a GPS and I am 99% sure still prints off MapQuest directions.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I might be in the minority but I love rest areas. Just pull off, go, and get back on.
If I’m not eating or need anything, I hate exiting to a gas station. It might only take a couple minutes longer, but its a really annoying couple of minutes.
Yep. I prefer rest areas to truck stops any day. Unless I need gas or a meal, I'd much rather go to a rest area.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I've always wondered why they're called rest areas. You're just driving, it's not that physically taxing.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Rarely do we stop at rest areas. But they always seem busy.

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
They don't do that but it is certainly a generational thing. My FIL refuses to use a GPS and I am 99% sure still prints off MapQuest directions.
I am a GPS addict. I have two Garmins and a tablet set up for off-road GPS plus the cell phones have GPS. I usually use Google Earth or Maps to lay out a route and then input it into the Garmins but sometimes a paper state map or atlas is helpful for laying out a route.

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
We always have the atlas but we are old and have gone places where it is hard to keep cell coverage.
Cell coverage can be a problem, especially in areas that we sometimes travel in. The GPS's have satellite reception so that's a good thing, they don't rely on cell coverage or WiFi for directions.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron