Doc Sadler Hired

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
If you work them hard enough, games can be easier than practice.

Yeah. That 30 for 30 on Loyola Marymount and the fastest offense ever seen had a player saying games were rewards from practice because games were fun since they were so well oiled from practice.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Great hire and I still don't know why anyone was against it. He was obviously a great assistant to ever be promoted to HC. His teams overachieved with lesser talent. Iowa State isn't going to take a hit in recruiting, it's just going to keep getting better. Being an assistant at Iowa State doesn't make you one and done for a HC job, see Otz. Some people just reach for anything to try to find the negative in it. Great hire.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Serious question, does Doc have a lot of experience playing a lot of players, like 9 or 10 in a game? I ask because I feel this team is Hoiberg's deepest and he could and maybe even should give a lot of guys significant time.

Gravy79

Aug 15, 2012
Great hire and I still don't know why anyone was against it. He was obviously a great assistant to ever be promoted to HC. His teams overachieved with lesser talent. Iowa State isn't going to take a hit in recruiting, it's just going to keep getting better. Being an assistant at Iowa State doesn't make you one and done for a HC job, see Otz. Some people just reach for anything to try to find the negative in it. Great hire.

Otz and Doc are two totally different scenarios. Doc wants to get back to being a head coach probably as soon as possible bc he has already been one. Otz was trying to work his way into being a head coach. Doesn't mean he will only be here one year but it makes it more of a possibility.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Great hire, very interested to see Doc's impact on the defensive schemes.

Although, I'm not sure why Fred feels the need to surround himself with short pudgy guys; dude doesn't need any help standing out as the dreamy one :jimlad:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Yeah. That 30 for 30 on Loyola Marymount and the fastest offense ever seen had a player saying games were rewards from practice because games were fun since they were so well oiled from practice.

I never played basketball, because I have bad hand eye coordination, but I had a wrestling coach who "tried" to do this.

If you can survive over and hour of getting your *** kicked you should be able to give 100% for 6 minutes.

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
Going from Nowledge to Knowledge. Atta boy Sadler. It was a long journey but you finally made it!

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Guys remember the trend, good stuff always happens CW is on (or just gets back from) vacation!

Can we get a collection going and pass the hat around CF to establish the CW vacation fund? For the good of Cyclone Nation, we need to ship Chris out of town as much as possible.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
From everything I have read, I think this is a good hire. Gives that experienced coach that can still only help the program. He should help to improve the defense enough so that maybe those games won't slip away at the end. He even adds some to the recruiting with his ties in Texas and other areas. So what if he is looking for a head coaching job? I really don't think I would want an assistant of any kind that was not looking for a better position.

What I really like when reading about this hire, and the types of things that Kane said about why he signed here is that ISU MBB now has a distinct identity.......something it did not have at all under the previous coach. If playing up-tempo and the success of transfers at ISU makes recruits and transfers want to come here.......that can't be a bad thing, can it?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I'm pretty sure Mike Nurse said this about Eustachy's practices as well. He said something like "game days are like a day off".

Last edited:

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I'm pretty sure Mike Nurse said this about Eustachy's practices as well. He said something like "game days are like a day off".

I for some reason thought is was Kantrail Horton (sp). A little off topic but my question now is who is going be a stable point guard? Just can't see Bubu in that position for too many minutes. A lot to pick from that's for sure.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I for some reason thought is was Kantrail Horton (sp). A little off topic but my question now is who is going be a stable point guard? Just can't see Bubu in that position for too many minutes. A lot to pick from that's for sure.

It could have been. I thought it was Nurse because during conference play wasn't he one of the top 3 in minutes in the Big 12? But then again in my old age I could have it all wrong.

At any rate my favorite Mike Nurse quote:

"I didn't even comb my hair today," said Iowa State guard Michael Nurse, "because I knew it would be a dogfight."

Last edited:

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
This was a great hire. The key ingredient missing from Hoiball is the ability to make life a little tougher for the opposing teams on the offensive end. There was a lot of room for improvement on the defensive end. The one thing ISUdoesn't have problems with is putting points on the scoreboard. We saw exactly what Hoiberg's offensive system was designed to do against Ohio State (One of the better defensive teams in the country).... ISU missed several bunnies and dunks and still managed to score 75 points on the Buckeyes. Keep in mind that only 2 teams had scored 75 or more points against the Buckeyes last season prior to ISU accomplishing the feat... those teams were Indiana and Michigan. Duke couldn't do it, Kansas couldn't do it, Michigan State couldn't do it, etc...

A little better defense could go a long way when you can score points like ISU can.

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
CW comes back from vacation . . . wham . . . what a rainmaker!

Now what will be the third big piece of news?

1. Kane commits.
2. Sadler hired.
3. ?

That I now play on North Iowa's premiere 9-hole golf course (it was 7 holes at various times the last 10 days, including Monday), and hopefully close to 18 holes next Thursday.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Coaches leaving here to become a HC isn't a bad thing, it would be a real good thing actually. The only time it would be bad is it it was Fred leaving to be a HC anywhere else. As long as he's here, the talent and wins will keep coming.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
It could have been. I thought it was Nurse because during conference play wasn't he one of the top 3 in minutes in the Big 12? But then again in my old age I could have it all wrong.

At any rate my favorite Mike Nurse quote:

"I didn't even comb my hair today," said Iowa State guard Michael Nurse, "because I knew it would be a dogfight."

That is a great quote.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron