Doc Sadler Hired

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Exactly. And I think we can all agree that Lutz was a great 1 year asset for Fred. Rumors are Doc signed up for 3 years but my guess is we will have him for 2.

And if we can have 2 great years with Doc and he leaves for a HC job, I think we are seen even more as a hot young team with young coaches and will have our pick of up and coming assistants that will bring even more.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Very happy with this hire. You can't train experience...and he's got it. Also, not worried about recruiting...he can go into a home and say, "I came to work for Fred...I worked for Bill Self, Fred will make your son great, etc." Also, I think that, having run a big 12 program, it may free Fred up to recruit more and know the operations of the program are moving along.

Plus, I hope he steals nice things from KU and brings them here.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
CW comes back from vacation . . . wham . . . what a rainmaker!

Now what will be the third big piece of news?

1. Kane commits.
2. Sadler hired.
3. ?

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I'm not sure why everyone thinks Doc will be 1 & done. It could very well take him 3-4 years before he finds the right fit for him as a HC.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I wonder if there was some clause in his Nebraska contract that made him wait until the end of May to sign with another team in a coaching position.

It was really nice of Kansas to keep him nearby ... and functionally become a spy for us.

D

DistrictCyclone

Guys, the average tenure for a head coach isn't even 5 years...and that's buoyed by guys like Boeheim and Coach K who have been with their schools for decades (the median tenure is 3 years).

I have no idea what the average tenure is like for assistant coaches, but man, what the hell do you expect out of Sadler? This concern about him "only" staying for a year or two is ridiculous.

The College Years of a Coach - NYTimes.com

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Guys remember the trend, good stuff always happens CW is on (or just gets back from) vacation!

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think he is a great hire. I always hated when the Clones played Nebraska while he was coaching there. They where really good at stopping scoring, just not very good at scoring themselves. Just think what ISU's record would have been last year with just one more defensive stop last year???

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Like it. Like others have said, bring him in, learn what he knows especially regarding defense, and have a good list of potential hires for when you expect him to leave in a couple years. Perhaps go for a bomb recruiter next time (hopefully one that can really mine MN).

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think he is a great hire. I always hated when the Clones played Nebraska while he was coaching there. They where really good at stopping scoring, just not very good at scoring themselves. Just think what ISU's record would have been last year with just one more defensive stop last year???

Yeah, if they get that ONE stop at the end of a few games it's a whole different outcome.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Good hire. Defense should improve a lot. I think it says a lot that ex coaches are wanting to come here to be assistant coaches. Shows that Fred and isu is an up and coming program and that will give an assistant coach a better chance of landing another head coaching job somewhere imo