Doc Sadler Hired

ImperialCyclone

Sep 11, 2012
There will be some people that don't like this hire. I think it is a great hire. Reading Kane's comments last night (along with comments from Thomas and Custer when Otz left) when he said "who wouldn't want to play for coach Fred" tells me that recruiting won't take as big of a hit as we all think. We need help on defense and Sadler will help us. I wouldn't call it a homerun hire, but it is definitely a stand-up double.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I there will be some people that don't like this hire. I think it is a great hire. Reading Kane's comments last night (along with comments from Thomas and Custer when Otz left) when he said "who wouldn't want to play for coach Fred" tells me that recruiting won't take as big of a hit as we all think. We need help on defense and Sadler will help us. I wouldn't call it a homerun hire, but it is definitely a stand-up double.
Between landing Kane yesterday and this hire, our defense really improved in 24 hours.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
There will be some people that don't like this hire. I think it is a great hire. Reading Kane's comments last night (along with comments from Thomas and Custer when Otz left) when he said "who wouldn't want to play for coach Fred" tells me that recruiting won't take as big of a hit as we all think. We need help on defense and Sadler will help us. I wouldn't call it a homerun hire, but it is definitely a stand-up double.

Yeah, I think with the last assistant hire, everyone was thinking we had all recruiting assistants. This should balance it out well (not saying that the former statement was true).

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Kane signed, the day after Doc is hired. Coincidence?

Is Chris still on vacation?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

I think it's a fine hire, I just don't think it's a stable hire, but then again, what is a "stable" hire these days?

What I mean by that is that Doc Sadler is wanting to be a head coach ASAP again. If he gets the phone call, he will be gone. So he might only be a one year proposition. But as I said, I'm sure most assistant coaches would leave if offered a head coaching job somewhere, so what's the difference?

I'm just not sure what kind of recruiting job he will be able to do for us. I think most kids will realize that Doc isn't probably going to be at ISU very long, so they wouldn't be coming to Ames to play for him. But that's fine. I think between Fred, Matt, and Cornell we have enough recruiters.

I look at Sadler as I did Lutz. Great hire, but don't fall in love with the guy because he'll be gone at first chance IMO.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I think it's a fine hire, I just don't think it's a stable hire, but then again, what is a "stable" hire these days?

What I mean by that is that Doc Sadler is wanting to be a head coach ASAP again. If he gets the phone call, he will be gone. So he might only be a one year proposition. But as I said, I'm sure most assistant coaches would leave if offered a head coaching job somewhere, so what's the difference?

I'm just not sure what kind of recruiting job he will be able to do for us. I think most kids will realize that Doc isn't probably going to be at ISU very long, so they wouldn't be coming to Ames to play for him. But that's fine. I think between Fred, Matt, and Cornell we have enough recruiters.

I look at Sadler as I did Lutz. Great hire, but don't fall in love with the guy because he'll be gone at first chance IMO.

I would agree, but if he can leave some of his defense talents behind with our younger coaches, it's a win.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City

If we can continue to get quality assistance who cares how long he is here. Remember Fred is still a young coach and the more quality coaches he can have under him and learn from is only going to help the program. Yeah Doc might leave next year or the year after but hopefully he leaves a defensive impression on Fred and the other assistants.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I would agree, but if he can leave some of his defense talents behind with our younger coaches, it's a win.

Exactly. When he is recruiting he wont be selling playing for Doc Sadler, he will be selling Hoiball. The biggest upside to this is the insight and experience he will add to the mix. Fred and Co. can learn a lot from him, even in one year, and that sticks even if he leaves next year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Jason King@JasonKingESPN1m
Kansas director of basketball operations & former Nebraska head coach Doc Sadler has been hired as an assistant at Iowa St, source told ESPN

King's source is outed:

50217aea38ba3745d80b.jpg

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
If we can continue to get quality assistance who cares how long he is here. Remember Fred is still a young coach and the more quality coaches he can have under him and learn from is only going to help the program. Yeah Doc might leave next year or the year after but hopefully he leaves a defensive impression on Fred and the other assistants.

Great minds...

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
Winning helps recruiting more than anything. NCAA appearances help recruiting. Sadler brings the ability to help with coaching on the defensive end of the floor. In my opinion it is a great hire at the right time. Fred will learn a few things from Doc that he can use for the rest of his coaching career. Recruiting will be fine and likely even better as I believe this hire helps us in the win column this year.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
Great minds...

..are hard to find.

I kid. I like the hire for the same reasons people have mentioned. Assistants are never lifers, they will come and go, but Doc seems to be a guy that can teach our staff some things in the time he is here.

D

DistrictCyclone

Exactly. And having assistants that people want to hire away from ISU is not a bad thing.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

I agree completely. I look at it just like the Royce White deal. Who cares if we only had Royce for one year, it was better than not having him at all.

If Doc is only here for one year, but we learn a lot from him, then great.

I will have to admit though, as much as I HATED Nebraska, I always admired the coaching job that Sadler was able to do over there without much talent at all. I always felt that he got a lot more out of his teams than he ever should have been able to get. I didn't know how he did it, but he did. Not that they were very good usually, but they were never an easy win it seemed. They played extremely hard and smart. I like that.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Exactly. And I think we can all agree that Lutz was a great 1 year asset for Fred. Rumors are Doc signed up for 3 years but my guess is we will have him for 2.

Reactions: im4cyclones

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I agree completely. I look at it just like the Royce White deal. Who cares if we only had Royce for one year, it was better than not having him at all.

If Doc is only here for one year, but we learn a lot from him, then great.

I will have to admit though, as much as I HATED Nebraska, I always admired the coaching job that Sadler was able to do over there without much talent at all. I always felt that he got a lot more out of his teams than he ever should have been able to get. I didn't know how he did it, but he did. Not that they were very good usually, but they were never an easy win it seemed. They played extremely hard and smart. I like that.

Basketball is become a business that you need to attack one year at a time. You can obviously plan for the future and bring in high school recruits but the days of bringing in just avg talent as freshman and banking on them to produce/improve for 4 years is over unless you don't want to compete or your name is Fran.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron