Disney purchases 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/wa...noff-certain-businesses-52-4-billion-stock-2/

Quoted directly from Press release:

21st Century Fox to spin off Fox Broadcasting network and stations, Fox News, Fox Business, FS1, FS2 and Big Ten Network to its shareholders

• Acquisition complements and enhances The Walt Disney Company’s ability to provide consumers around the world with more appealing content and entertainment options
  • Transaction to include 21st Century Fox’s film and television studios, cable entertainment networks and international TV businesses
  • Popular entertainment properties including X-Men, Avatar, The Simpsons, FX Networks and National Geographic to join Disney’s portfolio
  • Expands Disney’s direct-to-consumer offerings with addition of 21st Century Fox’s entertainment content, capabilities in the Americas, Europe and Asia; Hulu stake becomes a controlling interest
  • Addition of extensive international properties, including Star in India and Fox’s 39% ownership of Sky across Europe, enhances Disney’s position as a truly global entertainment company with world-class offerings in key regions
  • Robert A. Iger to remain Chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company through 2021

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Guess that means my 50 billion bid got shot down. Now what do I do with this pile of cash?
2WWbesi.gif

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Well this plays into the Disney streaming option:

Fox 21 develops a lot of shows / movies.

ESPN plus the regional FOX sports channels = College Football / Basketball, NBA, Baseball and maybe hockey? They will create their own Netflix - with sports.

This one might be the death blow to cable and satellite

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Disney also now owns FOXs shares of Hulu, which gives Disney majority ownership of that streaming platform

The deal allows Disney to expand its content, especially for streaming services. In addition to a majority stake in Hulu that it will have once the deal closes, Disney is preparing to launch two separate streaming services, one for sports and another focusing on entertainment. And it is pulling its content from Netflix in preparation for the launch. Adding Fox's television and movie studios and the content they own means adding to the stable of must-watch content it can offer directly to consumers -- and that streaming competitors can not.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/14/media/disney-fox-deal/index.html

Reactions: Cyclonetrombone

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Well Disney has been talking about having their own streaming service... might as well buy one of the big 3 and save on development. Solves the can rights issue as well. This whole thing checks a lot of boxes off... curious as to what they had to leverage to get that much cash though. I don't think this next star wars is going to make 50 billion dollars.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Rumored for awhile. Murdock’s looking to fire sale while Disney Dollars are stockpiling. As has been mentioned in the conference realignment threads, imo Disney has the capital to reinvent ESPN and make certain ESPN is a player going forward. They recently made a play for the regional Fox Sports, and this was the next step.

They (ESpN/Disney) just need to facilitate the conferences getting their product bundled together in a Power XY/Super 64, then offer it exclusively on their Sports “Netflix”. Contrary to some here, cord cutting isn’t the death blow to conference networks, but a boom.

Last edited:

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Well this plays into the Disney streaming option:

Fox 21 develops a lot of shows / movies.

ESPN plus the regional FOX sports channels = College Football / Basketball, NBA, Baseball and maybe hockey? They will create their own Netflix - with sports.

This one might be the death blow to cable and satellite

I thought they were breaking out 21st century from the fox brand... I might have misread.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
So after reading some other articles this morning, it looks like Disney will not get Big 10 Network, or FS1/FS2, but Disney WILL acquire all the Regional Fox Sports channels. That's 22 Regional Sports channels that show 44 pro teams.

https://www.recode.net/2017/12/14/1...sports-tv-ratings-subscription-rupert-murdoch

That’s what will happen if Disney gets the go-ahead for the $60 billion Fox deal it wants to make. Because included in the deal are the rights to Fox’s big regional sports networks.

Fox has 22 RSNs across the country, which have deals with 44 pro sports teams to deliver local games to cable TV subscribers that carry the networks.

If you want to watch a Yankees game in New York, you do via Fox’s YES network; if you want to watch a Timberwolves game in Minnesota, you do it via Fox Sports North.

The deals to secure that programming cost a ton of money. And just like the national programming deals, they keep getting more expensive. Up until now, it has been worth it for Fox. Pay TV subscribers pay more for RSNs — generally, whether they want them or not — than any other network. Except for ESPN.

Last edited:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Certainly will make college sports tv contracts interesting in the near future. Does seem like Disney is becoming Big Brother in entertainment.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Wonder what that means for Big XII T3 rights. Now just about everyone else in the conference has those right owned by the mouse house. ISU might be the only holdout that hadn't sold to a regional Fox outlet.

• Informative

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
This is huge for Star Wars nerds as I believe 21st Century Fox owns the rights to the un-altered original trilogy. If they ever wanted to re-release the movies as a set of un-altered originals, I believe this had to happen. I could be completely wrong though.

• Agree

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
This is huge for Star Wars nerds as I believe 21st Century Fox owns the rights to the un-altered original trilogy. If they ever wanted to re-release the movies as a set of un-altered originals, I believe this had to happen. I could be completely wrong though.

I think the first movie, in general, is owned by Fox. So since Disney bought Lucasfilm, in order to play Episode 4, you had to get permission from Fox, not Lucasfilm. However, as you said, this deal resolves that problem.

Reactions: Cybyassociation

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
wow. that is friggin huge. that is really going to change the streaming game since Disney already announced they want to join in.