Disney purchases 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
This is huge for Star Wars nerds as I believe 21st Century Fox owns the rights to the un-altered original trilogy. If they ever wanted to re-release the movies as a set of un-altered originals, I believe this had to happen. I could be completely wrong though.

As someone else said it's only a New Hope. While that is one hurdle, I think the big one is still George himself. He hates the idea of releasing the originals because he sees the special additions as his complete vision of the movies. So the question is would Disney be willing to go against his wishes as creator. It has been rumored that they won't.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
As someone else said it's only a New Hope. While that is one hurdle, I think the big one is still George himself. He hates the idea of releasing the originals because he sees the special additions as his complete vision of the movies. So the question is would Disney be willing to go against his wishes as creator. It has been rumored that they won't.

If releasing the originals makes Disney money, they'll release the originals.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Well this plays into the Disney streaming option:

Fox 21 develops a lot of shows / movies.

ESPN plus the regional FOX sports channels = College Football / Basketball, NBA, Baseball and maybe hockey? They will create their own Netflix - with sports.

This one might be the death blow to cable and satellite

Meh, they'll have to start buying cable companies now too, develop their own ISP, or go ahead and pay them royalties to not have their stream stepped on by the providers. Cable companies will not go down without a good fight and cable providers are being given Brass knuckles from the FCC.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
If releasing the originals makes Disney money, they'll release the originals.

I think you too easily dismiss some of the personal relationships involved and overestimate how much money they could really make off a re-release of the originals.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I think you too easily dismiss some of the personal relationships involved and overestimate how much money they could really make off a re-release of the originals.

George isn't going to live forever. Disney does re-releases constantly with their animate features.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
George isn't going to live forever. Disney does re-releases constantly with their animate features.

I would agree that it may happen after George dies, but I think it would have to be a lot of money (and by a lot of money I mean a lot of money to Disney... which is a LOT). Here is a quote taken from a story on the subject last year:

When asked if she'd consider releasing the original theatrical cuts in the near future, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy said simply, "I wouldn’t touch those! Are you kidding? Those will always remain [George Lucas']."

• Informative
Reactions: cycloneG

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Guess that means my 50 billion bid got shot down. Now what do I do with this pile of cash?

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Keep in mind that Lucas' complete vision included Han Solo stepping on Jabba the Hut's tail.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Soon we there is going to be 1 or 2 entertainment companies. Just like most other industries choices are going to be limited and we will pay more for a poorer product.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Other notable franchises that Disney just acquired:
Die Hard
Futurama
Home Alone
Ice Age
Kingsman
Night at the Museum
Planet of the Apes
The X-Files

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
People keep talking about this in the past tense like it has already happened. They have an agreement however:

The Boards of Directors of Disney and 21st Century Fox have approved the transaction, which is subject to shareholder approval by 21st Century Fox and Disney shareholders, clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act, a number of other non-United States merger and other regulatory reviews, and other customary closing conditions.

(From the link in the OP)

It isn't a slam dunk that this will get regulatory approval.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
People keep talking about this in the past tense like it has already happened. They have an agreement however:

Given the current Presidential administrations affinity for Fox News, I don't think there would be quite as many government hurdles here domestically. I would almost bet this deal gets done quicker, and perhaps even happens before, AT&T acquires Time Warner. I think the bigger issue may happen overseas, as Disney would now own a majority ownership of Sky News, which is an international news network with stations in the UK, Australia, China, Israel and Italy.

• Agree
Reactions: jmeeksISU

JD720

Jan 3, 2009

Not a slam dunk, but perhaps an uncontested layup.