David Irving

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Yeah, no thanks. I'll take the victory, I don't care about the ridiculous ideal of honor in sports.

Seriously, do you understand why programs use the phrase 'Honor Before Victory'? It's because they don't win much. Plain and simple.
Lol at tough guy.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The "cancer on the team" thing certainly has validity, it just happened to another school around here.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
When players become a cancer to your program you don't keep them based on how much the individual can help you team you get rid of them because of the damage that would be caused by showing the behavior would be tolerated.

Coe was a cancer to the program? Everything I've heard is that he was well liked by teammates

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Coe was a cancer to the program? Everything I've heard is that he was well liked by teammates

OMG. When you don't work hard in practice, miss practice, miss weights...do you think that is the definition of a leader, a teammate even? Do you think that his laziness could rub his position mates the wrong way when he isn't working hard in drills (or missing them altogether) but still gets the snaps in games? Cut the cancer out and move on!

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
OMG. When you don't work hard in practice, miss practice, miss weights...do you think that is the definition of a leader, a teammate even? Do you think that his laziness could rub his position mates the wrong way when he isn't working hard in drills (or missing them altogether) but still gets the snaps in games? Cut the cancer out and move on!

Link to him not working hard during drills/practice? Also not every player needs to be looked at as a leader. Not trying to defend him but everything I've been told was the other players liked him.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Amen brother! Just ask Brandon Jensen.

How would you feel as a teammate if Rodney Coe showed up late to meetings, lifting, practice, etc.... or didn't even show up at all sometimes, but yet he still got a lot of playing time.... while at the same time the coaches tell you that if you want to play more you have to be "All In" and do the extra work that's needed to get playing time?

It isn't coincidence that Jensen decided to come back after both Irving and Coe were booted off the team. I know it makes our DL very thin, but I'm hoping it will still be a net positive not having those two on the team this year.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
As a season ticket holder I hope both of them are back on the team yesterday. Honor before victory, unless it's a WR living in a halfway house just out of jail. Or letting a guy play when he is under investigation for domestic assault. If we have a season line we did last year you wouldn't be able to trade tickets for a bag of pork rinds on eBay. Then they get to Jack prices and minimum donation levels into the face of that.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Wins before anything else. Let him back, let Coe back. I want wins. I don't give a rats *** what these guys do in their spare time.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Wins before anything else. Let him back, let Coe back. I want wins. I don't give a rats *** what these guys do in their spare time.

There's only one problem with this logic.... we won 3 games WITH both Coe and Irving. You wanna know why? Because other guys didn't give a rat's ***** about busting their tails when these two didn't care and still played a lot of minutes.

It destroys a team's morale and desire. If Coe and Irving were so good, why was our defense so terrible and our team so terrible?

Look at the basketball team. All the guys are talking about how hard they are working in the gym, even on their own time, because they know playing time is at a premium if they want to see any at all. This is what you strive for IMO. But if coaches reward poor effort, as they did with Coe and Irving, it completely destroys a team's will and desire. "Why should I even try when I show up everyday and work my rear end off, but guys like Coe and Irving are always breaking team rules and playing ahead of me?"

Nice try though.

Reactions: AllBig12Drinker

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
The football talents of Coe and Irving are way over estimated by some on this board. The reality is that neither were All Big XII performers. Coe was a starter for just the last 4 games of last season. And was playing better. But was NOT a star. Irving had been moved from DE to DT last year and was erratic. Sometimes he played well and sometimes not so well.

We have enough players to at least be as good or better than last year's DL. IMO, we should be slightly better. Which should not be seen as having a great DL. But at least as good or better. LB's should be better even though we lost Jeremiah George.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Nobody said they were stars. We were hoping they wouldn't be total liabilities like the guys who will likely be playing a lot this year.

Lines at a place like Iowa State need developmental time. We will likely be playing guys who just aren't physically ready. Jensen absolutely wasn't a star, took the spring off, and we are incredibly grateful he is returning. That should tell you all we need to know about the state of the d-line.

Section136

Jul 5, 2010
Amen brother! Just ask Brandon Jensen.

How would you feel as a teammate if Rodney Coe showed up late to meetings, lifting, practice, etc.... or didn't even show up at all sometimes, but yet he still got a lot of playing time.... while at the same time the coaches tell you that if you want to play more you have to be "All In" and do the extra work that's needed to get playing time?

It isn't coincidence that Jensen decided to come back after both Irving and Coe were booted off the team. I know it makes our DL very thin, but I'm hoping it will still be a net positive not having those two on the team this year.

so should the rest of the team welcome Jensen back since he missed a good chunk of offseason workouts that the other guys were busting their tails for?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
so should the rest of the team welcome Jensen back since he missed a good chunk of offseason workouts that the other guys were busting their tails for?

Yes. Jensen was upfront in making his decision to leave the team and forego his senior season. Jensen then was upfront in requesting that the players and coaching staff decide if he should be allowed to rejoin the team. While on the team Jensen never got in trouble and did everything asked of him. Pretty stupid to suggest that it is anything like Coe or Irving, who were actually KICKED OFF the team. There is a difference.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Nobody said they were stars. We were hoping they wouldn't be total liabilities like the guys who will likely be playing a lot this year.

Lines at a place like Iowa State need developmental time. We will likely be playing guys who just aren't physically ready. Jensen absolutely wasn't a star, took the spring off, and we are incredibly grateful he is returning. That should tell you all we need to know about the state of the d-line.

What makes you leap to the conclusion that the guys playing next year will be complete liabilities? Good grief. Brandon Jensen was a starter last year for goodness sakes and returns. Cousin had improved to the point of being in the rotation for the last 6 games of the season. He was a RS Freshman last year. I expect him to be greatly improved. And our other players were young as well. We really have no idea how good or bad they might be. So why not let them play before we rush to the judgement that they totally suck. Let's see how it plays out.