Cyclones in the pros (hoops) 2020-2021

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Yes. He singled out S. Davis and Matt in an article. But he didn't really give him a chance to do better. Davis has seen SOME rotation minutes since. But in the bubble, he had good things to say about Matt's D. It's not like he's a lazy guy -- he busts his tail. I think if they didn't have so many small-ish guards, he would've had another chance but they have other options. Selfishly, I hope their offense - specifically 3-pt shooting - takes a nosedive so they have to give him a shot.
Hope they trade him to Milwaukee. Bud knows what to do with shooters.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Hope they trade him to Milwaukee. Bud knows what to do with shooters.
I'd think they'd be open to trading him. I don't know if they'd actively shop him. Maybe to them now he's (very) cheap (by NBA standards) bench depth / insurance policy.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Think there has been a lot of movement for a new Power Ranking. Seems like there is a dead heat battle for #1.

1. Monte - While he briefly may have lost the #1 spot to Tyrese, Monte has been more consistent lately and his PER has been trending up while Tyrese's has slipped a little (Monte now #71 in the league up from early #99). Interesting on PER that Monte's teammate Jokic is currently #1 and former college measuring stick Fred VanVleet sits next to MM at #70. Will Monte get an injury boost into starting lineup?

2. Tyrese - Could make a case for #1 but his play lately is slightly less consistent. Ridiculous #40 PER has dropped a little to 66. Natural for any high minutes rookie to have ups and downs, also has to now be going through the stage where he's a key piece in the scouting report every night. Will Tyrese get promoted to the starting lineup midseason at some point?

3. Niang - Big mover. Probably the top scorer per minute played the past couple weeks. Excelling in the role they signed him for right now.

4. THT - some DNPs that probably aren't even his fault, just the nature of playing on a legendary team. While I was looking at stats I was reminded that THT plays with the #2 and #3 top PER rated players in NBA history. (#1 is Jordan and he's not drastically ahead of those two in that metric)

5. Nader - He just got rotation minutes and played pretty well. Seems he could be anywhere between 3 and 6 in next ranking.

6. Thomas - in the DNP zone after getting lots of early season minutes.

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I hope Matt can get some traction somewhere either with the Raptors or with someone else. He was doing pretty well last yr and with the new defensive emphasis he just can't seem to find the floor.

Shout out to @qwerty for the really good article on ISU WBB. I guess it just proves that I'm old but I've seen most of those gals in person. I'd even forgotten about some of them that didn't stay long in the program. It was a great article to read.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Nobody said it had to be limited to males. I stumbled across this earlier today. Nice summary of all the ladies that have worn the cardinal and gold and played pro hoops.

I love how the Utah Starzz player card they show for Stacy Frese indicates she was three time Big 10 First Team. The year she played in the Big 10 was the only year she wasn't first team all conference.

• Haha
Reactions: aobie

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Think there has been a lot of movement for a new Power Ranking. Seems like there is a dead heat battle for #1.

1. Monte - While he briefly may have lost the #1 spot to Tyrese, Monte has been more consistent lately and his PER has been trending up while Tyrese's has slipped a little (Monte now #71 in the league up from early #99). Interesting on PER that Monte's teammate Jokic is currently #1 and former college measuring stick Fred VanVleet sits next to MM at #70. Will Monte get an injury boost into starting lineup?

2. Tyrese - Could make a case for #1 but his play lately is slightly less consistent. Ridiculous #40 PER has dropped a little to 66. Natural for any high minutes rookie to have ups and downs, also has to now be going through the stage where he's a key piece in the scouting report every night. Will Tyrese get promoted to the starting lineup midseason at some point?

3. Niang - Big mover. Probably the top scorer per minute played the past couple weeks. Excelling in the role they signed him for right now.

4. THT - some DNPs that probably aren't even his fault, just the nature of playing on a legendary team. While I was looking at stats I was reminded that THT plays with the #2 and #3 top PER rated players in NBA history. (#1 is Jordan and he's not drastically ahead of those two in that metric)

5. Nader - He just got rotation minutes and played pretty well. Seems he could be anywhere between 3 and 6 in next ranking.

6. Thomas - in the DNP zone after getting lots of early season minutes.
Spot on, from my perspective.

Fingers crossed that Nader stays in the rotation. It seems like every year, he waits for his chance and then performs. That whole thing of "able to guard multiple positions" completely applies.

Reactions: VeloClone

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
A little G league news. In a little more than a week, 18 teams will report to the Disney complex for a "bubble" and a shortened season. At least some guys will get a chance to play and be seen.

This article purports to have the rosters but at the time I'm writing this, only 7 teams have their rosters: https://www.ridiculousupside.com/20...ing-to-the-disney-bubble-ignite-blue-warriors

One Nazareth Mitrou-Long is listed again for Indiana's team so it appears they brough him into camp with the idea of keeping them at their affiliate. Part of me hopes that some Euro scout will look to sign Naz for next year.

No word on any other Cyclones yet but I would think that Shayok would get a look, after being an All-Star in the G League last year. Deonte Burton is less likely, given the lower numbers of players this year.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I got to watch Georges' minutes in Utah's repeat victory over the Pelicans. Kind of a mixed back for Georges and he came up short on hitting double figures for the 5th straight game but he looks like a confident offensive player out there again. I watched out of order - turned it on around when he came on in the 2nd half and later watched a recording of his first-half minutes. I'd seen he had 8 pts in the first half but when I turned it on, he immediately had a missed 3, a foul and then getting burnt like toast by Zion (sorry). He struggled to guard Zion as almost all human beings would but he also struggled a few times defending PnRs.

In the end, his numbers were 15 MIN, 8 PTS, 3-7 FG, 2-5 3PT, 1 REB, 3 AST, 1 TO, 5 PF and -4.

Some offensive (and announcer) notes: His release on the 3 ball is SO quick now ... The announcers call him a "luxury" for the Jazz to have as a 4 who can shoot the long ball so well ... he had a phenomenal finish on a reverse layup when he took Zion baseline ... the announcer also said he was "Big 12 player of the year at Iowa State" ... he made a fantastic through-ball bounce pass to Conley for a layup and Reggie Miller said that we saw a lot of that when he was a start at Iowa State.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Here are Georges' possessions from 1 game back (10 PT); I'm amazed that someone makes the effort to put these together. It's good to see Georges putting the ball on the deck (nice dunk here vs. Zion).

Reactions: NWICY

Help Support Us

Become a patron