Cyclones in the pros (hoops) 2020-2021

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
He is locked into that doghouse, isn't he? Two games of full rotation and then he came in the 2nd half of the 3rd game when they were down. And he scored in those. Nurse must've seen something he really didn't like on the defensive side. Unbelievable.

Nader and Talen Horton-Tucker both had DNPs last night.
Hasn't Nurse been pretty vocal all along about how several players' defense must improve if they want to see the floor?

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Hasn't Nurse been pretty vocal all along about how several players' defense must improve if they want to see the floor?
Yes. He singled out S. Davis and Matt in an article. But he didn't really give him a chance to do better. Davis has seen SOME rotation minutes since. But in the bubble, he had good things to say about Matt's D. It's not like he's a lazy guy -- he busts his tail. I think if they didn't have so many small-ish guards, he would've had another chance but they have other options. Selfishly, I hope their offense - specifically 3-pt shooting - takes a nosedive so they have to give him a shot.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Georges with 8 already tonight - might be on his way to his 4th straight in double digits. The Jazz is on NBA TV now, where the Minivan is throwing down PAST Zion W. on this play if not OVER him:

AND remembering not to leave Donovan Mitchell hangin'

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The Nuggets beat the rebuilding Thunder to move back to .500 (7-7) and Monte Morris, in typical fashion, led the bench in minutes and scoring. Monte's line: 21 MIN, 15 PT, 7-11 FG, 1-4 3PT, 4 REB, 5 AST, 1 TO and +22.

For the season, he's now had a turnover in 5 of the Nuggets games and his assist-to-turnover ratio sits at 7.5. He's averaging 11.3 ppg.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Georges Niang had most of his production in the 1st half in the Jazz' easy win over New Orleans. The Jazz moved to 10-4 and lead their division. Georges was in double digits for the 4th straight game, and without the amount of minutes that Monte or Tyrese get. His line this game: 13 MIN, 10 PT, 4-8 FG, 2-5 3PT, 1 REB, 1 AST and 2 TO.

He's pulled his scoring average up over 4 ppg (from, well, 0 ppg) and his 3PT shooting is up to a respectable 38%.

Reactions: Snydes and NWICY

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Monte had a really nice game of making great cuts and finishing at the hoop. The nuggets closed out the 4th without using any of their starters, and Monte definitely caught some swagger during that period. It was fun to watch.

LOL at Georges getting up 8 shots in 10 minutes. Great to see him being productive with his minutes. Joe Ingles is back from injury now, so Niang's role will probably come back a bit.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Monte had a really nice game of making great cuts and finishing at the hoop. The nuggets closed out the 4th without using any of their starters, and Monte definitely caught some swagger during that period. It was fun to watch.

LOL at Georges getting up 8 shots in 10 minutes. Great to see him being productive with his minutes. Joe Ingles is back from injury now, so Niang's role will probably come back a bit.
I wish I could see these games. I don't have the right cable package plus they're too late for me in the Eastern time zone.

Monte had the ball in his hands so much at ISU that none of us realized how well he can move without the ball. Plus he's fit and quick. His back cuts are great and with passing wizards like Jokic and Campazzo, he can be a weapon on those. He finishes as well as anyone for his size, at the rim or with that floater. When he does have the ball in his hands, he's always looking to keep it moving and/or feed the scorers like Jokic and Murray. Such a good ball player; think of how many people were drafted ahead of him that haven't made any impact.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I wish I could see these games. I don't have the right cable package plus they're too late for me in the Eastern time zone.

Monte had the ball in his hands so much at ISU that none of us realized how well he can move without the ball. Plus he's fit and quick. His back cuts are great and with passing wizards like Jokic and Campazzo, he can be a weapon on those. He finishes as well as anyone for his size, at the rim or with that floater. When he does have the ball in his hands, he's always looking to keep it moving and/or feed the scorers like Jokic and Murray. Such a good ball player; think of how many people were drafted ahead of him that haven't made any impact.

If he can get his 3pt shooting back up to the mid 30s, he'd be averaging 14-15 a game right now. He is in a good place right now though. I've seen Malone use Monte over Will Barton to close out the game.

It will be interesting to see what happens will Murray. His elbow isn't right, and I think he is gritting it out until Porter Jr. comes back from COVID. I could see them shutting Murray down for awhile to get him right. That could bump Monte into a starting role.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
If he can get his 3pt shooting back up to the mid 30s, he'd be averaging 14-15 a game right now. He is in a good place right now though. I've seen Malone use Monte over Will Barton to close out the game.

It will be interesting to see what happens will Murray. His elbow isn't right, and I think he is gritting it out until Porter Jr. comes back from COVID. I could see them shutting Murray down for awhile to get him right. That could bump Monte into a starting role.
Good points. I have been keeping an eye on Monte's 3pt shooting as well. He needs one of those stretches that he strings together some good outside shooting game to get that number up. It adds so much to his game if he can knock them down.

For Denver to get back to that semi-finalist level, they need Murray to be super human like he was in the bubble and he's not there. They also miss the D played by Grant and Craig. But, yeah, if Murray does sit, Monte's minutes will be around 30 per game, I'd guess.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Nobody said it had to be limited to males. I stumbled across this earlier today. Nice summary of all the ladies that have worn the cardinal and gold and played pro hoops.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Abdel Nader rotation minutes!! Dooley was one of 10 Suns to play in their (close) win over the Beard-less Rockets. He played 12 MIN and had 5 PT on 2-3 shooting. Let's hope that this leads to more chances because his injury was badly timed in a shortened training camp on a new team.

Way to read the defense and throw it down:

Matt Thomas got another DNP in the Raptors' loss to Miami so I think we have a new #5 in the power rankings.

• Informative

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Tyrese Haliburton was back in double figures last night as the Kings dropped to 5-10 after another loss the the Clippers. They've dropped 9 of their last 11. Hali was again their top bench player (in minutes) but didn't have his most efficient game. His line: 25 MIN, 11 PT, 4-11 FG, 3-8 3PT, 3 REB, 2 AST, 1 STL, 3 TO and -1.

The Bill Simmons quote was covered in this thread but the Kings chose tweet about it so I'm throwing it in here:

Tyrese is harder on himself than The Ringer is on him:

Last edited:
  • Informative

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Nobody said it had to be limited to males. I stumbled across this earlier today. Nice summary of all the ladies that have worn the cardinal and gold and played pro hoops.

Tonya Burns swatted my jump shot in a pick-up game once. To be fair, it was a pull-up in transition and I didn't see her come up alongside me. But she probably could've swatted me from straight ahead - she was GOOD.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines

buffstreams is how I watch all my games, especially the later ones with Denver, Sac, and LA.

• Useful
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Tonya Burns swatted my jump shot in a pick-up game once. To be fair, it was a pull-up in transition and I didn't see her come up alongside me. But she probably could've swatted me from straight ahead - she was GOOD.
They never had a guys practice squad back in 80's but I played many pickup games at Beyer and State against the women's team. Friday afternoons in spring after season was over. I knew they would be there and would go just to play against them.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
They never had a guys practice squad back in 80's but I played many pickup games at Beyer and State against the women's team. Friday afternoons in spring after season was over. I knew they would be there and would go just to play against them.
Me, too. If I did play against the women, it was at State. I didn't do it a lot but it was always a good workout. They sure weren't able to surround Tonya with much talent.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Me, too. If I did play against the women, it was at State. I didn't do it a lot but it was always a good workout. They sure weren't able to surround Tonya with much talent.
The thing I remember is the pickup team guys were definitely more athletic (the ISU women at that time looked more like OU players (thick and sturdy), but they were SO damn fundamental that you were blocked out, screened, etc. on every single play and it took more athletic plays to have a chance against them.