Cyclone Fans Really Want HB

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
How many people on this board would pass up Duke to come to Iowa State? Please, be honest.

on this board? it depends on what EXACTLY you are analyzing.

Are you asking if now anyone here would rather go to Iowa State than Duke being the person they are now? Are you asking what we would do if we were in Harrison Barnes shoes? Depending on what they want to do in life, or how they would want to be considered as a basketball player if you are putting them in HB's shoes the answer could vary quite greatly...please elaborate.

isunorth

Mar 3, 2009
Minneapolis
on this board? it depends on what EXACTLY you are analyzing.

Are you asking if now anyone here would rather go to Iowa State than Duke being the person they are now? Are you asking what we would do if we were in Harrison Barnes shoes? Depending on what they want to do in life, or how they would want to be considered as a basketball player if you are putting them in HB's shoes the answer could vary quite greatly...please elaborate.

If you were in Harrison Barnes' shoes in the present day. For basketball purposes.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
If you were in Harrison Barnes' shoes in the present day. For basketball purposes.

I'll do my best to take my Iowa State bias off and say I would stay here. You can change the location to another "BCS" school and city where the university is and I would prolly say the same thing if it was say, oh I don't know, a national top recruit from Eugene, Oregon and get a change to commit to the Ducks I prolly would rather than jump to a Kansas, Duke, UNC, tradional historic bball schools. Some people love to say if you think you are the best you want to play against the best and say Duke or UNC is where you'd do that, but that's not my personal train of thought. If I am a hometown hero and could have the chance to be the greatest or one of the college's greats, I would. He could go to a UNC, but he will NEVER be Michael Jordan. Out there he is just another # or 5 stars or w/e recruit. They see them all the time. Why would someone not want to play for a team where they would definitely be the main focal point and chance to LEAD, not FOLLOW. I would love the chance to show I am the man and I can take the team on my shoulders and win. Being a legend in Oregon like in my example or Iowa State, then here in Iowa; I would never have to pay for a drink there the rest of my life. Everyone is gonna know you, and although life isn't all about popularity, no one wants to be invisible (which I am fairly sure HB never will be.) But at a Duke he would just be a guy who would come back and they'd be like "Oh hey, it's you! you used to sit on the bench and played a couple years for us or something right? What do you think of our new *insert 5 star recruit's name here*?" I guess it mainly comes down to what my role would be though. If you told me for sure I would be your #1 guy from freshman to senior (or however long I was there) then yeah I would prolly go to Duke or UNC, but how many times do you think Duke promises a top notch recruit that only to have them ride some pine in lue (sp?) of another recruit that year or the next. An Oregon or ISU doesn't have that luxury. This is not what I necessarily think will happen with HB. It's just what I would do if I had the choice between being a legend at a place like Oregon or Iowa State or being another in a line of Dukies or Tar Heels (and I refuse to use the small fish analogy) because Iowa State is a Big 12 basketball school, it's not we're talking about being the main man at Houston-Baptist. I would take the chance to legendize myself and be the team leader.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

When I was 16, I would have gone to ISU in a heartbeat, with that kind of talent. I was die-hard then, and I remember actually thinking that if I was an awesome athlete the first place I would go was ISU. Why wouldn't I play for the team I grew up cheering for? Dream come true...

That said, I'm not Harrison Barnes, and only he knows what is important to him.

Balrog

Sep 17, 2008
Des Moines

I go to Iowa State, where I grew up, so my mother can watch me play basketball in person, at no cost to her, whatsoever. I would have a coach who is known for developing big men. I would have all of my high school friends for additional support, and my girlfriend is 100 miles away. I would assume that whereever I went to play basketball, my chances in the NBA would not be diminished, one iota.
I would also know that I could visit my AAU coach in person, my best friends in person, and also my minister. I will have a new basketball practice facility to use to further my physical development. Iowa State University is an excellent college to further develop my mind. For better or worse, any other college or university is comprised of strangers and "new" relationships.
I can play basketball anywhere. It is the myriad number of small, seemingly insignificant things that would influence my decision.

I am being honest.
I left my home town to attend college, and it did not suit me well, but that is not to say that it wouldn't suit HB.
If basketball were all that was important to me, I would quit school after I graduated, hire a strength and conditioning coach, and enter the draft when I was eligible. He doesn't NEED college.
On second thought, maybe I would go to the University of Hawaii.
Just my opinion of course.
Go Cyclones :yes:

Harry

Mar 27, 2006
If you talked to basketball fans throughout the country very few outside of Iowa would have a clue who Fred Hoiberg is. Almost everyone would know MJ, G. Hill, C. Boozer, Laetner(sp), Hurley and many others. I would think that having a chance to win a national championship would be a major goal of any top player. This alone makes it difficult for a school like ISU to recruit a top ten player. The only chance I would think a local school would have in keeping a top ten player is if the parents wanted to see their kid play and encouraged them to stay home.

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
To those of you who think Harrison would be crazy to pass up going to Duke. Why do you guys pass up the opportunity to be Duke fans instead of ISU? You have to be crazy to be a Cyclone fan. You could watch Duke on TV more often... you could be more likely to be cheering for a National Championship team any given year.

You know Duke has it's own fansites you guys can post on... you don't need to hijack EVERY positive thread on OUR site.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
To those of you who think Harrison would be crazy to pass up going to Duke. Why do you guys pass up the opportunity to be Duke fans instead of ISU? You have to be crazy to be a Cyclone fan. You could watch Duke on TV more often... you could be more likely to be cheering for a National Championship team any given year.

You know Duke has it's own fansites you guys can post on... you don't need to hijack EVERY positive thread on OUR site.

Excellent point.

ISU has as much going for it as Duke. Those that think that isn't the case are blinded by the Dukie V media bias over the last 20 yrs.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
If you talked to basketball fans throughout the country very few outside of Iowa would have a clue who Fred Hoiberg is. Almost everyone would know MJ, G. Hill, C. Boozer, Laetner(sp), Hurley and many others. I would think that having a chance to win a national championship would be a major goal of any top player. This alone makes it difficult for a school like ISU to recruit a top ten player. The only chance I would think a local school would have in keeping a top ten player is if the parents wanted to see their kid play and encouraged them to stay home.

Five years ago, an elite, 5-star player in suburban Seattle was offered scholarships by all the powers - North Carolina, Duke, UCLA, etc. He elected to turn them down and play for his hometown school, Washington.
You may have heard of him: John Brockman.
He's been all Pac-10 first team for two years; Washington this year was the champion of the Pac-10 regular season.
Would he have had the same career at Duke? At North Carolina? I doubt it...

Reactions: CycloneErik

isunorth

Mar 3, 2009
Minneapolis

Because I went to school at ISU.

isunorth

Mar 3, 2009
Minneapolis
HB, if your listening, I want to tell you a little story.

In October 2002 I was in Kuwait serving with the 3rd Infantry Division from Ft. Stewart, GA. I was fortunate enough to have internet access, but there was not much for tv. It was during this deployment that Iowa State was up to #11 in the nation in football and we were preparing to play Oklahoma, a game that would put us on the map nationally.

After working all day, I stayed up all night with my laptop reading each play as it popped up on ESPN online. We got crushed, and dejected I got about an hour of sleep and got to work the next day.

Even though Seneca and the boys didn't pull it off, their early season victories kept me going during a lot of long days. Your choice to stay in state will not be easy, but it will make a big difference to all the proud Iowans serving overseas. You are not doing anything wrong by choosing Duke, UNC, or Kansas. It is just a matter of examining how proud you are of your hometown and home state.

We are very proud of you as a high school student and will continue to be no matter your choice. I hope everything works out for you.

Godspeed

Wow. I'll bet this will change his mind. Harrison, if you're listening...:biglaugh:

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
Because I went to school at ISU.
And were you happy with that choice? Do you wish you would have chosen somewhere else?

And if your answer is that you DO wish you would have chosen somewhere else... then I don't understand why you would continue to be a fan of ISU athletics.

If your answer is that you are happy with your choice... then I think that there is a very good possibility that Harrison would be happy too if he so chooses to go to ISU. I don't think Brackins regrets his choice... it sounds like he loves it at ISU.

Doesn't mean Duke is a bad option for him... I just don't think he's 'crazy if he passes up on the opportunity to go to Duke'. To me, Iowa State is a very special place and I think anybody who has the opportunity to go to school there is lucky. And anybody who gets to play basketball there is lucky because of the fan support they'll get.

isunorth

Mar 3, 2009
Minneapolis
And were you happy with that choice? Do you wish you would have chosen somewhere else?

And if your answer is that you DO wish you would have chosen somewhere else... then I don't understand why you would continue to be a fan of ISU athletics.

If your answer is that you are happy with your choice... then I think that there is a very good possibility that Harrison would be happy too if he so chooses to go to ISU. I don't think Brackins regrets his choice... it sounds like he loves it at ISU.

Doesn't mean Duke is a bad option for him... I just don't think he's 'crazy if he passes up on the opportunity to go to Duke'. To me, Iowa State is a very special place and I think anybody who has the opportunity to go to school there is lucky. And anybody who gets to play basketball there is lucky because of the fan support they'll get.

I went to Iowa State because it was affordable (in-state tuition) and I thought their academics for my course of study was stronger than Iowa. UNI was a second-rate college and a total commuter school so they were out of the question.

I loved my time at ISU and have no regrets. However, had I the opportunity to go anywhere in the country that I wanted to (lets say, M.I.T.) for FREE I can't say that I would have still chose ISU. Therein lies the difference, in my opinion.

Frankly, I don't see your point. You're comparing a top-5 recruits decision on where to go play basketball to a regular student's/fan's decision on where to go to school or who to cheer for when you graduate. Apples and oranges, my friend.

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
I see your point, and understand. I agree that maybe Duke is all that HB wants and more. I just don't think ISU is out of the picture.

It's just that each person has his or her own reasoning for their choices. I could have gone to just about anywhere for college due to my academic standing out of HS (though not all of them for free). I chose an out of state school (ISU), because it was close enough to home (Minnesota), had a great atmosphere and campus, and has a great academics. No, I wasn't a top 5 academic recruit anywhere... but still similar... if I was going to go out of state for a school that doesn't have reciprocity, why not go some place warm or some place that has sports teams that wins championships everywhere and has equal if not better academics? Well, for me... I didn't want to be so far away from home that I can't visit on any given weekend. I was confident in my ability to get the job I want out of college no matter which college I got my degree at. And everything has worked out quite well for me so far. And the experiences I had at ISU including Vieshea, going to all the athletic events (not just football and basketball, but gymnastics, softball, soccer, volleyball and wrestling). Playing football, basketball and rock climbing at the rec... Intramurals and two frisbee golf courses... a friendly midwest atmosphere that you don't always see in other parts of the country...

I couldn't have asked for anything better. And is it apples to oranges... maybe... but I think a lot of the general ideas could be applied to a basketball recruit's college experience as well.

Balrog

Sep 17, 2008
Des Moines

Though I agree in principle with your first couple of sentences, (and I realize you are using Fred as an example because many posters have said that Harrison could be the next "Mayor" if he stayed here) I find it ironic that Fred Hoiberg has become a part of a professional basketball team's front office after an 8 year career in the NBA. Someone thinks that he has the talent and intelligence to do that, Tim Floyd did, even though Fred was not a household name. Walk-on Jeff Hornacek, who averaged 15 points a game for 14 years in the NBA was not a household name. Neither was Victor Alexander, 10 years, Kelvin Cato, 11 years, Don Smith, 9 years, Jeff Grayer, 9 years, Jamaal Tinsley, 7 years, Marcus Fizer, 6 years, Mike Taylor ............. none of them, household names.

And ......... I would be willing to bet, that more than one of the aforementioned players actually said to themselves, "Hey, they NEED me here at ISU," before deciding to come to Iowa State to play basketball.
They didn't say, "I want to go where I can play for a national championship." And yet we almost got there.

You will never convince me that the national championship game was not played on Michigan State's "home floor" in the regional final.
Yes, ISU had a chance to win a national championship in 2000. Iowa State University.

My point in replying to your post, Harry, is that while every single player who is fortunate enough to be able to play basketball after high school may wish to play for a national championship, only a select few get to do so, ......... one team in fact, regardless of whether an individual attends one of the top 20 or so college basketball perennial powers.

Does it increase the odds of winning a championship by attending a UNC or a TU, ...... without question. Does it increase the odds that you will go to the NBA? ..... No.

Trying to pick a school from the "top twenty" in the hopes of securing a national championship, and being 100% sure about it, is an excercise in futility. Otherwise, there would be many wealthy people who successfully bet on the eventual winner each and every year. So, if you can't be sure, (and you can't), I would be far more concerned about my development as a player and my NBA potential, and as a person. If that is indeed, Duke, or Cinncinati, fine. But I think a case can be made for staying at home. Coach McDermott is known all over this country as a developer of big men. That is why Craig Brackins came to Iowa State.

Also, I would like to take this opportunity to say I wish some people here would quit talking out of both sides of their collective mouths. (This is not intended for you, Harry)
You want recruiting to improve, but if we don't get better players we criticize the coach and staff for not doing their job, and if we do get better players, they won't stay because we are ISU (or the classic, he must not be any good because he came to ISU), if we try to recruit top ten players, they won't come here because we are ISU and my gosh if given the chance ........ YOU wouldn't go to ISU, ......... you'd go to Duke. If YOU would go to Duke, how then can you possibly rationalize being critical of a recruiting staff and the coaches trying their best to strengthen the roster??????? Absolutely amazing.
For those of you to which this applies, let all of us know beforehand whom you deem acceptable to recruit to ISU, so if we don't get them to come here, we can expect you to be critical of the basketball staff. Is it anyone over three stars, or three and a half, or four stars, or guys from Ames or Iowa City? Or just five star guys? Be sure to post long and hard about how you would go elsewhere, so when it does happen, we don't have to be surprised when you are critical of the coaching staff. Then the recruit can come on this board and read about how he made the right decision, because we are ISU, the coach sucks, the assistants are terrible and and we have a terrible basketball history.

I choose not to be a part of anything that may be detrimental to the future of the Iowa State Cyclone basketball program.

And please don't tell me recruits don't read message boards and if they do read them, and take anything posted seriously, you don't want them as a part of the ISU family because they must not be strong or must be stupid, or both. If you choose to respond to this, and post a reply in hopes of convincing me otherwise, then one or both of us must not be strong, gullible in fact, and it follows then, that both of us, of course, must be stupid.
Just my opinion of course.

I apologize for the length and for the Cardinal and Gold glasses.
Go Cyclones :yes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclonepride