Column: Are Iowa State & West Virginia rivals?

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
Did you miss the Michigan game?

The Kansas and West Virginia games had a level of anger in the crowd unlike any other games this year. They both had times where it just felt like a tiny spark could set off a really ugly incident. The Iowa game was actually a notch or two lower on the palpable hate scale. The Michigan game may have been the best crowd of the year. It had that big game feel without the hatred (OK it did have the F McGary chant, but sill) and none of the dread about how much it would suck to lose this game because Iowa fans are even more insufferable when they win.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
The Big 12 wants us to be, but we are not right now. If Eron Harris didn't try to karate chop Monté's head off there would be no discussion about the subject.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Original Big 12: Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, and Kansas.
Here is what it feels like it may turn into as far as rivalries.
New Big 12: Iowa, Kansas, West Virginia, Kansas State.
I think our old rivalries were more so all sports (Except Kansas). Kansas State seems like more of just a football rivalry at the moment and Kansas still basketball but I could see WVU crossing all lines. I, honestly, liked the idea of Black Friday football vs WVU every year but at the same time if we are rivals we should be able to play and hate at any and all times. (Plus I would rather the Texas schools get their ***** up here in the dead of November. Seems like they usually refrain from scheduling that way though. Tech looks to be an exception and our first suspect experiment.) I think there is more between us and WVU than just the Harris -Morris flagrant though. I think a lot of us hated their fans and their team after Morgantown. There was definitely anger in the crowd yesterday.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Anyone see Dibo go after the fan near the tunnel after the game? I don't think they were close enough for anything to happen, but that fan was killing Dibo as they came off the floor. He was a pretty big guy, didn't look like he would have backed down. Several coaches and players grabbed Dibo before anything happened. Those WVU players listened to every word the fans had for them on the way out. A manager flipped off another fan.

WVU's players are an odd bunch. Harris and Dibo seemed especially "off." Staten called Georges a "fat boy." Georges was talking to Huggins the entire game. Kane was in Harris' ear late in the game. It may not be an institutional rivalry, but those teams last night hate each other.

It was fun.
The fan called Dibo a di**o?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The Kansas and West Virginia games had a level of anger in the crowd unlike any other games this year. They both had times where it just felt like a tiny spark could set off a really ugly incident. The Iowa game was actually a notch or two lower on the palpable hate scale. The Michigan game may have been the best crowd of the year. It had that big game feel without the hatred (OK it did have the F McGary chant, but sill) and none of the dread about how much it would suck to lose this game because Iowa fans are even more insufferable when they win.
WVU brought the booing on themselves when they totally messed with Kane in front of his 50 visiting family members. No regrets about Eron Hack Harris.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Last night was one of my favorite ISU games to have been at. Give it a few years and yes there will be a rivalry.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I could get behind the Riot Bowl and Riot Ball.

Personally, I'm partial to the name "Sister Stadium Rivalry". The winner gets a trophy that has WV's nice endzone on one end, and the new SEZ on the other, with the same stadium that we share on the sides.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

I thought the crowd's intensity level went up a notch after those first few atrocious calls. It was loud to start the game but it definitely went up a notch from there. Especially after Hoiberg was chewing on the ref after Georges took that elbow to the chin.

We'll see if both fanbases and teams can keep the intensity going. I feel like we've gotten to this point a couple times, OSU most recently. But then it kind of fizzles out.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Anyone see Dibo go after the fan near the tunnel after the game? I don't think they were close enough for anything to happen, but that fan was killing Dibo as they came off the floor. He was a pretty big guy, didn't look like he would have backed down. Several coaches and players grabbed Dibo before anything happened. Those WVU players listened to every word the fans had for them on the way out. A manager flipped off another fan.

WVU's players are an odd bunch. Harris and Dibo seemed especially "off." Staten called Georges a "fat boy." Georges was talking to Huggins the entire game. Kane was in Harris' ear late in the game. It may not be an institutional rivalry, but those teams last night hate each other.

It was fun.

I must have missed that one. I think we would all be surprised at how much **** talking goes on during our bball games.

My general thoughts on WVU so far in the Big 12 is "**** those guys" so yeah, I'll jump on board with a rivalry.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
As a fan, I was thrilled when Harris got tossed and hogue delivered the flying side kick, because that's how actual rivalries get started with the players and that filters down to the fans.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011

It was fun.
Fat boy dominated their entire team last night

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
does anybody know if they have a fan board like CF? Just wondering how they feel about us...

Personally I hate WV!!!

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
If you have to ask, the answer is no.

But we are well on our way to becoming rivals, that's for sure.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
Still don't think we have a rivalry with WVU. To have a real rivalry you have to want the other team to lose and rejoice when they do so.
No one cares what WVU does aside from 3 games a year.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Still don't think we have a rivalry with WVU. To have a real rivalry you have to want the other team to lose and rejoice when they do so.
No one cares what WVU does aside from 3 games a year.

Agree - a rivalry is more than hate. But, it's a beginning and playing them on Black Friday every year might help create a rivalry if we're both good enough for the outcome to matter. We're not there yet.

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
No because Cory from teen mom 2 is a west Virginia fan and he's my favorite guy on that show. :skeptical:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron