Column: Are Iowa State & West Virginia rivals?

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I seriously forget West Virginia is in our conference half the time.

I would say Kansas the game I get the most excited for--but I don't know if it can be considered much of a rivalry considering we lost like the last five matchups.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Id rather we start contending for Big 12 titles and become Kansas' conference rival.

I agree completely, until we start beating Kansas at home and inside allen fieldhouse there will be NO Big 12 Titles.

To be a rival you have to win games versus that opponent.

CoachK

Dec 3, 2013
IOWA
During CW's video all I could keep watching was how many times Georges shruged his shoulders... Lol I wonder if he broke a record for most shoulder shrugs in 3 min. Side note: Georges can shrug em all he wants when he plays like he did last night. They guy can go to the rack whenever he wants to. Love me some Georges!

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
They haven't been here long enough to be considered rivals but I think they're on the their way. Although they bring about the same attitude to every team, not just us, so we may need to take a number. I think Huggy's first big 12 stint, however brief, laid the groundwork for some animosity. He's one of the best "bad guys" in all of college bball. They will be loaded next year, so playing with a target on their back might make things even more heated.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I read through some of their WV/ISU game thread last night and they were echoing the same thoughts. It seems like a "forced" rivialry, but it seemed like they are ready to embrace it. I'm not sure if ISU is there yet, IMO our main rivials are Kansas in Basketball and Iowa in football. WV could replace Mizzou in BB and Nebby in FB as the secondary rivial in both sports, at least that is how I always viewed those schools. One advantage of having WV as a rival is they are a pationate fan base who stay informed about the Big 12 in all sports not just football (cough texas shools cough).

BTW Some posters referred to multiple ISU players as "thugs" on their board which seems to fit the profile of some of our current rivals.:mad:

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA
Seems like if I were a WVU fan, I would dislike ISU most out of all the big 12 schools given the events of the past year (the bball games and the OT football win). Then again, I can't say I know a single WVU fan.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Wasn't it 102-77, not 107-77? Just being picky here.

I think it takes more sustained intensity and probably some closer and even more heated games to make a rivalry. This one just might be on the way.
Right now, the hillbillies just seem like an irritant, but not someone to obsess over like we would a rival.
Yep.

Georges had called it a 30 point loss and CW went with him. So the score tonight was 88-66 after the five point dunk at end of the game.

Fred again sat with the players during the interview like in just the past few games. Remember earlier in the year they were interviewed without Coach?

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Cant force it, just let it happen. I think in the years to come, we will be bigger rivals to KU than KSU or MU are

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
So what would the rivalry trophy look like? A pig sitting on top of a lump of coal?

Clone1138

Apr 18, 2013
Central Iowa
WRNL already has this covered. The football games are referred to as the "Riot Bowl" and basketball is called "Riot Ball". The trophy for football is a couch on fire resting inside of a dumpster.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
For a real rivalry, it has to extend across more than just football and basketball. Football and basketball are mandatory and a necessary first step; but WBB, volleyball, wrestling, etc. have to be included. Personally, I think this manufactured rivalry is going to bloom; too many naturally-occurring incidents in all sports to dismiss. Unfortunately, like Iowa, they are handicapped when it comes to the academic portion of a rivalry.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
For a real rivalry, it has to extend across more than just football and basketball. Football and basketball are mandatory and a necessary first step; but WBB, volleyball, wrestling, etc. have to be included. Personally, I think this manufactured rivalry is going to bloom; too many naturally-occurring incidents in all sports to dismiss. Unfortunately, like Iowa, they are handicapped when it comes to the academic portion of a rivalry.

Speaking of academic handicaps, if West Virginia has a dental school, it must be the easiest course in the nation.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
Not sure if I would call it a rivalry but the games with them have had their moments that is for sure. The two football games have covered almost all of the emotions you can get out of a football game. The basketball games have been intense even when the score hasn't been close along with one game being decided in the final seconds.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
We certainly aren't rivals yet but with the intensity of the past two basketball games and football games it could very well get there if this intensity continues. The altercation at halftime between the football teams last year, the OT win for us this year, the kick and punch from this years first bball game and the "out for blood" intensity of last nights crowd. It will never be as important to us as Iowa and KU (in bball), but it could make for a great secondary rivalry if things continue.

Riot bowl.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Anyone see Dibo go after the fan near the tunnel after the game? I don't think they were close enough for anything to happen, but that fan was killing Dibo as they came off the floor. He was a pretty big guy, didn't look like he would have backed down. Several coaches and players grabbed Dibo before anything happened. Those WVU players listened to every word the fans had for them on the way out. A manager flipped off another fan.

WVU's players are an odd bunch. Harris and Dibo seemed especially "off." Staten called Georges a "fat boy." Georges was talking to Huggins the entire game. Kane was in Harris' ear late in the game. It may not be an institutional rivalry, but those teams last night hate each other.

It was fun.